PDA

View Full Version : Computer specs

Dustin2128
March 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I'm curious as to the specs of the average ubuntu user's computer. Mine are a p4 single core processor, a gig of ram, 117 gig ubuntu hard drive, and I've been thinking of repartitioning the 80 gig windows hard drive. ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron, nvidia geforce4 graphics card that handles the full array of compiz effects like nobody's buisiness (only 128mb of video ram though!) Let's put it this way: Until I installed ubuntu, I seriously considered getting a new computer. It ran not to well under windows, but that's probably due to the crapware my brothers installed. I could not be happier with my computer than I am now.

cmay
March 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
i have five computers in the range of 300 mb ram celeron 600 mzh processor and to the new one i have that has 2 gigabyte ram and a dual core intel 2.00 mzh but that is the only one i have wiht so high specs. i have in average 512 mb ram and a celeron something or amd somthing++

i use older computers and do ot buy them unless its laptops . which i got one of as i sold my asus eeepc to get some more money to save up to a ordinary laptop someday. they are just still so expensive.

swoll1980
March 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I also have a p4 2.66 1GiB ram, 40GiB, and 15GiB IDE hard drives, a nvidia 6200, and a dual layer Dvd drive runs Ubuntu really fast.

Skripka
March 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
It is a good thing I don;t use Ubuntu anymore...otherwise I might inflate the "average". ;)

Dustin2128
March 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM
i have five computers in the range of 300 mb ram celeron 600 mzh processor and to the new one i have that has 2 gigabyte ram and a dual core intel 2.00 mzh but that is the only one i have wiht so high specs. i have in average 512 mb ram and a celeron something or amd somthing++

i use older computers and do ot buy them unless its laptops . which i got
You know your a geek when:you have so many computers that you average their specs. he he, I have 7 computers so I shouldn't be talking

RandomJoe
March 9th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I don't know that I qualify for "average", but still... :P

Self-built C2D system, 2GB RAM, 2 320GB HDDs in RAID1, two dual-head nVidia cards (three flat panels and a DLP projector).

Dell PowerEdge server (older, basic P4 model - nothing fancy) in the back room, primarily for the 1TB RAID array which stores movies/music, also has a few web-based things I fiddle with.

Fanless ITX system with dual-core Atom processor, 2GB RAM, laptop HDD (whole system peaks at 25W, nice!) that collects data from a weather station and (work in progress) solar / wind chargers for my battery bank. The computer runs off that bank too.

Dell P4 desktop (2.4GHz, IIRC) 1GB RAM and two tuner cards (BT878 for cable, pcHDTV for OTA digital) feeding MythTV to the house.

I also have a few older basic-spec machines. No guarantee they are running Ubuntu at any particular time, though. I grew up with Slackware, and often run it for task-specific installs, especially something that doesn't require a GUI (back-end daemons and such). I just quickly tire of the host of dependencies GUI-based apps seem to require anymore, so those usually are done on Ubuntu since just about everything I've looked for has been in Synaptic so no need to go find everything.

jacob01
March 9th, 2009, 01:53 AM
\/