PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to use Ubuntu with acer notebook

rocketmail add
March 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM
As you can see by the title I have an acer notebook. With my old laptop I was able t download anything I wanted. However with this acer it uses Linux. Now I seem to have down loaded things n it ( it says in the down load section) but when I try to get access to them nothing happens. I've heard that you can use ubuntu with Linux but when I've down loaded it again nothing happens can anyone please help me.:D

mrbiggbrain
March 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Ubuntu is a version of linux, youll need to reinstall from scratch by downloading an ISO image of the version you want (likely Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu) and booting off the cd, then following steps... note however have a second pc to acess the internet from! you may get errors you dont know what mean

rocketmail add
March 8th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I've managed t down load it but how d I open it ? What should i be opening it with?

Thanks

bailbath
March 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1052065
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801404

These guides are at the top of this beginners section.
Ian

rocketmail add
March 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks I've tried reading it earlier but couldn't make any sense of it. any hints or tips

bailbath
March 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
What have you downloaded?
Ian

rocketmail add
March 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
file:///mnt/home/Downloads/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso

This is what i have down loaded

mrbiggbrain
March 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
you need to use a iso writing program (nero, roxio, ect) to write the file to a disk.

rocketmail add
March 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
whats the best and how do I get it ?

philinux
March 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
What os are you running now to access the forums

bailbath
March 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
You have downloaded a .iso file ready to be burnt to cd. This once it has been burnt to cd, and you have booted/restarted from it, will be able to install Ubuntu from a 'live' environment, in other words ubuntu runs from the cd and your memory in the computer. If you want it will install Ubuntu to your hard drive. If that is what you want to try please back up any files you have on the notebook. Follow a install guide to install.
Can you tell me what operating system you are using at the moment to download the .iso file?
Ian

mike555
March 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks I've tried reading it earlier but couldn't make any sense of it. any hints or tips

If you can't understand it, you should have some else install Ubuntu for you , there are drivers and such that you might need to get ...... if Ubuntu is installed it will replace the linux operating system you have now (not install into it) or if your hard drive is big enough you might want to do a dual boot setup .....good luck ....