PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can you install another distro from Ubuntu?

shaolindrunkard
March 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hi all, strange situation here. I have an old 700mhz laptop with a bad cd drive on it, so I cant use a live cd. And no Ethernet connector either. I had an old laptop hard drive laying around with ubuntu on it and i threw it in there and am able to get into ubuntu. However I think I would like to install a lighter distro (probably puppy) onto this laptop. There is no option in the bios to boot from a usb flash drive, so I dont think that making a puppy bootable thumb drive will work either. So short of buying a new cd drive is there anyway I can install puppy linux from ubuntu?

Of note, I have a usb to ide hard drive adapter, so I can transfer files to the laptop hard drive from my desktop if I need to. I can also use my usb thumb drive to transfer the puppy iso/files to the ubuntu on the laptop. I dont know if any of that info would help...

Thanks ahead of time...

sansa dude
March 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Hi all, strange situation here. I have an old 700mhz laptop with a bad cd drive on it, so I cant use a live cd. And no Ethernet connector either. I had an old laptop hard drive laying around with ubuntu on it and i threw it in there and am able to get into ubuntu. However I think I would like to install a lighter distro (probably puppy) onto this laptop. There is no option in the bios to boot from a usb flash drive, so I dont think that making a puppy bootable thumb drive will work either. So short of buying a new cd drive is there anyway I can install puppy linux from ubuntu?

Of note, I have a usb to ide hard drive adapter, so I can transfer files to the laptop hard drive from my desktop if I need to. I can also use my usb thumb drive to transfer the puppy iso/files to the ubuntu on the laptop. I dont know if any of that info would help...

Thanks ahead of time...
sounds alot like my dell inspiron 3800, what i did was just install xubuntu which it is possible to do from an ubuntu install the computer your talking about will probably work with it. http://www.xubuntu.org/get have a look there if you do want to install a fresh copy use the alternate one because it installs just with out the graphics. or there is an option for installing from ubuntu there if you want to but i believe you need Internet to do that option.

shaolindrunkard
March 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I'll check that out, but I would like to try puppy too.

sansa dude
March 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I'll check that out, but I would like to try puppy too.
i believe puppy only runs from the RAM and i don't think it installs on to the hard disk. buti could be wrong and probably am