PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox crippled after Java reinstall

GNUbee40
March 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Dear Sirs and Madams!

I am currently in a state of moderate despair regarding my Ubuntu Laptop on account of mumerous problems.

The latest of it has crippled my Firefox browser and no amount of removing and reinstalling has been able to solve this problem.

The browser starts, but will not load the starting page. The only button that works is the Startpage button. I cannot go back and forth between the pages browsed. No browser history is generated, and all my Bookmarks are gone.

How did this happen?

It started with Java problems. After a Firefox Update I could no longer log on to my webbank, because the Applet froze the browser. I ended up solving the problem by installing Open Java and using the Icedtea Browser Plugin together with Sun Java 6.
This worked for a while then ceased to do so (like so many other functions on my laptop :mad:)
I tried the usual remove, then reinstall and different combinations of Java.
At one point I started Firefox from at Terminal Window. This session later crashed with a bizarre error. I think the last words were: "Something terrible has just happened. I don't know what to do so I'll quit :("
Since then the problem has prevailed.

If it wasn't so sad one could laugh about it.

If somebody can help I would appreciate. Otherwise I will have to remove the entire system and replace it with something that works more consistently :(

Regards
Nino