PDA

View Full Version : Gubuntu?

curuxz
December 27th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Hey this may have alreadu been suggested/asked. But should Ubuntu not be Gubuntu now that there are K, X , F etc....

Would it not make more sense for Ubuntu to refer to the community as a whole with less bias to gnome users?

xtacocorex
December 27th, 2005, 11:05 PM
They are all the same distro, just with different display managers attached so it makes sense to call it Gubuntu, but it won't happen.

Ubuntu is a word in an African language (read the first sentance on http://www.ubuntu.com). The name embodies what they are trying to do with the distro and I think that they are keeping to their goals very well.

I really like Kubuntu and these forums are great as there isn't any of the Gnome vs. KDE flame wars, at least from my searches. I have my reasons to not like Gnome, but I'm not going to belittle anyone who uses it because it's their choice.

I like how the Ubuntu project is going and how easy it is to install another display manager. If the dev's want to have Gnome as the default, then that's fine with me.

This disto is a lot better with the different display managers than with Fedora. KDE just wasn't as powerful as it is on Kubuntu.

chimera
December 28th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Why would you want to call it ubuntu? I find the whole "window manager's first letter+ubuntu" naming scheme kinda lame. I mean, it's the same distribution, why give it different names? I don't really see the point in kubuntu and xubuntu, you can download those window managers with apt anyway:rolleyes:

just my opinion, anyway.

Adrenal
December 28th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Xubuntu and Kubuntu basically exist(as far as I can tell) to offer complete desktop systems, not just the desktop environment. That is, they are meta-packages referring to a lot of apps, which, when installed together, offer a system comparable to that of the default ubuntu.
The reason one can download these seperate distro's is basically to save one downloading an entire iso of ubuntu, complete with GNOME, only to have to download XFCE(or kde, or openbox, or fluxbox...) and then go on to never actually use GNOME at all.
At least, thats how I read it

JimmyJazz
December 28th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I call it ubuntu no matter what DM I use, for me UBUNTU refers to the backend stuff although technically UBUNTU is optimized for gnome.
I think its stupid to even call it Kubuntu personally I think ubuntu/kde would sound better to me but, its is easier to refer to Kubuntu.

tageiru
December 28th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Hey this may have alreadu been suggested/asked. But should Ubuntu not be Gubuntu now that there are K, X , F etc....

Would it not make more sense for Ubuntu to refer to the community as a whole with less bias to gnome users?
No, Ubuntu is still very much centered around GNOME. K/X/Fubuntu are just derivatives.

curuxz
December 28th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Which is why I think that the whole set should be called Ubuntu. but there be individual versions, Gu, Ku, Xu etc...

Would it be possible to squeze K, X and G together on one disk, maybe a DVD iso, so that you chose at install which version you want (I mean in the sense of the display manager and metapackages not just the display manager since as people have said that can all be done from Ubuntu)

BSDFreak
December 28th, 2005, 01:00 AM

Actually, there will be less and less distros centered around Gnome, or even providing it, for obvious reasons, i think it's kinda nice that Ubuntu does while keeping the ability to make it a KDE centered disto or XFCE centered distro fairly easily.

Lovechild
December 28th, 2005, 01:12 AM
we could make Gubuntu for GNUStep users maybe :)

BSDFreak
December 28th, 2005, 01:25 AM
we could make Gubuntu for GNUStep users maybe :)

Ooooh, was some time since i used Next/GNUStep, i used to love it though, now THAT was fast.

Iandefor
December 28th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Would it not make more sense for Ubuntu to refer to the community as a whole with less bias to gnome users? For the time being, no. Ubuntu is the primary distribution, with K/Xubuntu both being alternatives. When K/Xubuntu become equally popular to Ubuntu, it might be fair to consider changing Ubuntu's name, but not before then, IMHO.

By the way, has anyone ever wondered what the words "Kubuntu" and "Xubuntu" mean in whatever African language it is that the word "Ubuntu" comes from?

prizrak
December 28th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Actually Kubuntu is also an African word which is why it is an official name for the KDE version of Ubuntu. Xubuntu isn't an official variation of Ubuntu, the developers created a meta package for people who wanted a light weight DE for older machines.

BSDFreak
December 28th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Actually Kubuntu is also an African word which is why it is an official name for the KDE version of Ubuntu. Xubuntu isn't an official variation of Ubuntu, the developers created a meta package for people who wanted a light weight DE for older machines.

Just to make this clear, KDE is a WM, XFCE is a WM, Gnome is a DE, the WM used by Gnome is Metacity.

People seem to confuse this way beyond what is needed and even though i am sure you know the difference not everyone does.

I hope you have had a Merry Christmas.

Iandefor
December 28th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Just to make this clear, KDE is a WM, XFCE is a WM, Gnome is a DE, the WM used by Gnome is Metacity.

People seem to confuse this way beyond what is needed and even though i am sure you know the difference not everyone does.

I hope you have had a Merry Christmas. From kde.org:
KDE is a powerful Free Software (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) graphical desktop environment for Linux and Unix workstations. From Olivier Fourdan, the "creator of XFCE":
Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for various *NIX systems. Beyond that, what is lacking in KDE and XFCE that GNOME has? The only differences I see between them is style, implementation, and size.

prizrak
December 28th, 2005, 05:11 AM

I agree with Iandefor. XFCE, KDE and GNOME are all classified as DE's. Yes there is a difference between a WM and a DE as I was explained it a DE is a collection of graphical utilities for managing your system and a WM just controls the behavior and placement of your application windows.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas yourself.

kairu0
January 4th, 2006, 12:08 AM

KDE is a DE, KWIN is its WM.
XFCE is a DE, XFWM is its WM.
Gnome is a DE, Metacity is its WM.

taseal
January 4th, 2006, 01:43 AM
what are xubuntu and fubuntu? (i have no clue)

should I expect a bubuntu or dubuntu soon? lol

mstlyevil
January 4th, 2006, 01:50 AM

xubuntu = Ubuntu + XFCE

fubuntu = Ubuntu + Fluxbox

rfruth
February 1st, 2006, 02:55 AM
Chris (a program manager @ Google) says Gubuntu won't see the light of day http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=175746&cid=14609148

Koobi
February 1st, 2006, 03:03 AM
Why would you want to call it ubuntu? I find the whole "window manager's first letter+ubuntu" naming scheme kinda lame. I mean, it's the same distribution, why give it different names? I don't really see the point in kubuntu and xubuntu, you can download those window managers with apt anyway:rolleyes:

just my opinion, anyway.

i agree entirely.

haha :D

Gijith
February 21st, 2006, 06:47 PM
I wanted to revive this and throw my 2 cents in real quick.

If there's been one problem that's caused me trouble as a new linux user and someone who's partial to kubuntu, it's that finding kubuntu specific information on this site and others can be really really confusing. And Ive heard many other users complain about this as well. kubuntu.org is essentially worthless. I'm assuming it hasn't really been developed because most of the information that would be included in it (an extensive wiki, forums) are here on ubuntu.org. This makes sense in that the majority of general FAQs and How Tos can be applied to either Gnome or KDE. The problem is that a lot of the time, this isn't the case. There are many instances, either in the wiki or on these boards, where it's clear whether a given procedure or tip is specific to either desktop. But just as often, it's very unclear (at least to newbies). This can lead to a bit of confusion and many problems.

Having at least one section of these forums split up between Gnome and KDe is extremely helpful to new users. But when looking at other sections, such as Absolute Beginner or Dapper Devlopment, it's tough to know when advise given applies to you.

I think that splitting up the names so that the base project is called ubuntu, with gubuntu, kubuntu, edubuntu, etc being the official OS names would be a smart move. It could make things more clear for beginners and make the project as a whole less partial to any one desktop.

There have been a few people that have said this shouldn't happen until kubuntu becomes as popular as ubuntu. Well, IMHO, the fact that overall project, the main wiki and the main boards are all under the ubuntu name is a huge reason why it's dominant over Kubuntu. When I first wanted to try Linux, I didn't understand the Gnome KDE difference and chose ubuntu because I thought it was THE distro and that kubuntu was some sort of experimental, unstable and very difficult side project ;) . I'm sure that a healthy majority of new users end up using ubuntu for a similar reason. There's also a bit of encouragement that new users use ubuntu because it's more popular and more of the boards and wikis are devoted to it.

I think I remember reading a while ago that Mr Shuttleworth wanted Kubuntu to gain at least a little more prominence. IMO, this name change, or at least some better segregation of information on these sites, would be the most valuable method towards getting that done.

Gijith

nickle
February 21st, 2006, 08:56 PM
Ubuntu has become more than simply another linux distribution with a Gnome DE. It has become a brand and it has become this wonderful online forum.
From the original idea sprang the other varients, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu etc. This was a wonderful creative type of organic growth and bears withness to the success of the Ubuntu brand.
However, I do believe it is time for a rethink. The brand shouldn't be changed, the name of the linux distribution shouldn't be changed. However, making the gnome variant synonimus with the latter is no longer a good idea for the following reasons:

It means that all those new people attracted to the brand will start with Gnome; It means when they try to install the other variants on top of Gnome they will end up with a messy DE;
It means the forum and discussions will always be biased toward gnome to the detriment of the others;
It means the other variants will not flourish so well in this environment and I forcast it will mean users of these environment will eventually move on.

We are luck in Linux to have more than one DE and I think Ubuntu is probably one of the most successful forums for ensuring they become more popular. I think the Ubuntu brand and the free software movement would benefit by making a better distinction between the distribution and the variants. It is all about how the community will grow and flourish...

alaaji
July 5th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Ubuntu has become more than simply another linux distribution with a Gnome DE. It has become a brand and it has become this wonderful online forum.
From the original idea sprang the other varients, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu etc. This was a wonderful creative type of organic growth and bears withness to the success of the Ubuntu brand.
However, I do believe it is time for a rethink. The brand shouldn't be changed, the name of the linux distribution shouldn't be changed. However, making the gnome variant synonimus with the latter is no longer a good idea for the following reasons:

It means that all those new people attracted to the brand will start with Gnome; It means when they try to install the other variants on top of Gnome they will end up with a messy DE;
It means the forum and discussions will always be biased toward gnome to the detriment of the others;
It means the other variants will not flourish so well in this environment and I forcast it will mean users of these environment will eventually move on.

We are luck in Linux to have more than one DE and I think Ubuntu is probably one of the most successful forums for ensuring they become more popular. I think the Ubuntu brand and the free software movement would benefit by making a better distinction between the distribution and the variants. It is all about how the community will grow and flourish...

Well, I for one am glad the they have gnome as the default DE. I've tried lots of distributions and they all had KDE and I just never really could get used to it. This is the first time that I've used gnome and I'm hooked! Thanks a lot Mr. Shuttleworth!

mips
July 5th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I think they should call all version of Ubuntu just Ubuntu with the DM after the name,

Ubuntu -Gnome
Ubuntu -KDE
Ubuntu -XFCE
Ubuntu -Education
Ubuntu -Security
etc.

Currently a lot of people actually think they are all completely seperate distros.

adam.tropics
July 5th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I think they should call all version of Ubuntu just Ubuntu with the DM after the name,
Currently a lot of people actually think they are all completely seperate distros.

I totally agree with you, and it worries me a bit in the sense that people believing that (bearing in mind that linux distros are largely community driven) encourages fragmentation, which I for one don't want to see in the Ubuntu product.

rcarring
July 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Turning it round on its head, Ubuntu has Gnome as its default. The other releases have a letter preceding their name to denote a different desktop manager is used, and Ed is used to denote the special education version. I see no reason why the main distribution should need renaming.

forrestcupp
July 5th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Even if people have shown that all of these are considered DE's, if you are trying to help new or uninformed users understand something like this, don't you think you should explain what a WM and DE is? I hate being unfamiliar with something and everyone tries to explain it with abbreviations and jargon without explaining what they mean. New users don't understand what it means when someone says KDE is a GNU/GPL DE that makes up part of my OS on my sys. If yer L337 you can understand.
WM is windows manager
DE is Desktop environment

ps. I'm glad Gnome is default.

mips
July 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I see no reason why the main distribution should need renaming.

I agree that it should still be Ubuntu, just add the DM after the name though so people still know it is actually the same thing.

Iandefor
July 7th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Even if people have shown that all of these are considered DE's, if you are trying to help new or uninformed users understand something like this, don't you think you should explain what a WM and DE is? I hate being unfamiliar with something and everyone tries to explain it with abbreviations and jargon without explaining what they mean. New users don't understand what it means when someone says KDE is a GNU/GPL DE that makes up part of my OS on my sys. If yer L337 you can understand.
WM is windows manager
DE is Desktop environment

ps. I'm glad Gnome is default. Your question comes a little late. BSDFreak was banned a while ago.

raptros-v76
July 7th, 2006, 08:33 PM
what? ... actually, i guess its none of my buisiness..
anyway, i like having it kubuntu, xubuntu, whateverubuntu, because its sounds cooler.

mips
July 7th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Your question comes a little late. BSDFreak was banned a while ago.

Not to rehash this but for stating something like that ?

Iandefor
July 7th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Not to rehash this but for stating something like that ? I don't know, in particular, why he got banned.

His last post here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=683195&postcount=14) evidenced he had a tendency to be less than polite, which probably had something to do with it.

RavenOfOdin
July 8th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I thought Google was working on a version of Ubuntu they were going to call "Goobuntu" ?

bruce89
July 8th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I thought Google was working on a version of Ubuntu they were going to call "Goobuntu" ?
They use it internally, but have no plans to release it externally. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu

naurus
March 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM
i only looked at the first page, so im not shure if anybody knows, but gubuntu is the name for the google operating system. as far as i no, its not downloadable, but seems how its made by google, and they make some of the most user friendly, it means ubuntu is really good and so is gubuntu.

Sorry if i bursted anyones bubble!