PDA

View Full Version : Puppy linux, EXT2 and FAT32

tadcan
March 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Can anyone explain why this?

My dad has an old laptop with Win98se. He wasn't able to use a usb memory stick because no drivers existed for that model of laptop.

So I ran puppy linux as a live cd to do this. When I finished it offered to store some info on the Hard drive to speed up boot and free up the cd drive next time the live cd (after boot, AFAIK) So i agree and it tells me it is saving the data under EXT2. It didn't partition the disk.

Next time my dad started the laptop in win98, the memory stick worked. I don't understand how win98 could read a driver under EXT2.

Or have I misunderstood what happened.

hyperdude111
March 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Very weird, there are no default windows EXT drivers but you can download them. But that it worked later... Odd.

miniyak
March 8th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I doubt puppy installed the drivers but that could have happened. it would be interesting to find out if thats a feature of puppy.
We take for granted that modern os's have generic drivers for usb sticks and such. i have a old laptop running 98se, it runs a usb wireless stick fine but will not read any thumb drives. This is simply because i installed the software for the wireless stick.

tadcan
March 9th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Since no one has an answer here I decided I should ask the butcher and not the block as my friend says.

Some theories at the puppy forum.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=282268#282268