PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing nVIDIA 180.29 Driver

VarthDader
March 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hi all. I'm new to Ubuntu. I installed 8.04 today and I can't get my nVIDIA drivers installed on it. I've tried

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run
When I try this, I get an error saying that the file can't be opened. I also tried this in the command line after stopping GNOME.

Any help would be appreciated

anilcr
March 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM
try this

chmod u+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run

VarthDader
March 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM
It says file not found when I use

chmod u+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run

The file is on the desktop. Should I have put it elsewhere?

anilcr
March 8th, 2009, 02:31 PM
why dont you try this:
1.right click on the file -> properties.
2.go to permissions tab and then click on Allow executing file as program
3.then try sudo sh NVida-...

Speed Demon
March 8th, 2009, 02:31 PM
You can use Ubuntu's binary drivers, which are pretty well point-click-type-go for the install. Just use System->Administration->Hardware Drivers ((I THINK, may be other name)) and go from there!

VarthDader
March 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I tried the chmod after checking the allow file as program and still same issue.

And when I tried the Harware drivers, it just shows a blank page. :(

Therion
March 8th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Open the Terminal and before you do anything else you need to go to your Desktop directory where you've stored the file:
cd ~/Desktop

NOW try using sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run

Also, note it's a CAPITAL "D" in Desktop. :)

anilcr
March 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
got the same problem here too I installed an hardy on my desktop today same problem on that can't install from hardware drivers. I also installed nvidia-glx-new and new-dev from the repos. didn't seem to work. I'm using amd64

VarthDader
March 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Open the Terminal and before you do anything else you need to go to your Desktop directory where you've stored the file:
cd ~/Desktop

NOW try using sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run

Also, note it's a CAPITAL "D" in Desktop. :)

I figured that out just before you posted this. Well, now it says that I'm running X and need to exit it. How do I do that?

anilcr
March 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
sudo telinit 1

anilcr
March 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
better ctr-alt-F1

VarthDader
March 8th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks. I managed to install the drivers by stopping GNOME. The drivers are installed, but I can't seem to increase my screen resolution, neither my refresh rate

VarthDader
March 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Anyone?

cviorel
March 9th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Hi!
Try running
sudo nvidia-xconfig in the console. This will modify your xorg.conf file and tell it to use the driver.

Crafty Kisses
March 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Once you have downloaded the NVIDIA driver you need to stop your X server, so press Cntrl-Alt-F2. Once you have done that you need to run the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
Then once you've done that you need to run the following, remember I'm just guessing the file is called NVIDIA-Linux and it's saved to your desktop, so remember substitute your information:

cd ~/Desktop
chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux.run
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux.run
Once the installation is done, restart the X server with:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

tad1073
March 9th, 2009, 07:47 AM
make sure to disable the nvidia driver that you are currently using.

then

ctrl+alt+f2

cd ~/Desktop
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.runfollow all the prompts

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

VarthDader
March 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks. I'll try this.

mjr2k
March 10th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I've got a problem related to this thread.

I had roughly the same problem; I installed the Nvidia drivers and now I'm trying to get back into X.

I started the GDM with the code in the 2nd-to-last message. When I attempt to restart X with the 'startx' command, I get
"Fatal Error"
"No Screens Found"

Also, I've seen mention of editing /etc/inittab to specify which init mode to boot into. Apparently Intrepid doesn't use inittab, but rather Up-something. Can anyone shed light on this?

Also when I do 'sudo telinit 5' from a command prompt, I get "Starting Gnome Display Manager" and then it freezes.