PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.1 in windows XP3 install problem

bob hughes
March 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I am an absolute beginner.
I have got live cd ver. 8.10 running and wantedt o install via wubi ? in windows before moving to a permanent install.
I have a sata and PATA (ide disk)in machine but get same problem on each. Set size of install to 30Gb, install etc in wubi, it chugs along then get can't access cd error after unpacking files. Retry starts again fails at same point.
Tried it on 2 machines same problem
Grateful for any guidance or advice even if advice on permamannent install rather than under windows XP3 Though Iwould wish to keep dual boot.Can install on separate disks ?
Thanks
Bob Hughes:(

yeats
March 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Sounds like it could be a corrupted Live CD (one always learns this at the most inconvenient times :-) ). There's an option to check the CD's integrity at the Ubuntu Live CD start menu. Run that check and see if there's something wrong.

mlentink
March 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Have you checked the cd for errors? If you used it on two separate machines it sounds like a cd-problem to me. Make sure to burn it at a slow speed, and check the disk afterwards.

Yes, you can install ubuntu on the second disk, if you want. I'm not entirely sure whether you can install it through wubi on a separate disk though, it has been a while since I last used it.

bob hughes
March 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Not a cd problem integrity okay also checked download before brunning.
Exact problem is :-
Ubuntu setup goes thru
Checking Installation files
Calculating checksums

does this then moves to
Creating Image
(at end of 732.8mb)
Could not access the CD,please make sure other applications are not using it and try again.

Then you get into a loop.

Bob Hughes

D.R.W.
May 3rd, 2009, 03:16 AM
Why is there no response to Bob Hughes’ post of March 8th, 2009,
nearly two months ago?

I ordered an installation disk and am having the same problem
installing ubuntu:

Ubuntu setup goes thru
Checking Installation files
Calculating checksums
Does this then moves to Creating Image
Could not access the CD, please make sure other applications
are not using it and try again.

I've tried every option on the disk, but none to any avail.