PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling Vista

MarcusA
March 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hello all

I have a dual boot with Vista/Ubuntu. I have 100GB for use on Ubuntu and around 450GB for vista. I want the opposite of that though, however Vista won't let me shrink more space so I'm just going to reinstall it.

Now, I'm a complete n00b so I'm just asking what I should do (never know if the Vista reinstalling erases my Ubuntu) :) Do I just reinstall it, let it do everything automatically and when that is done just shrink my vista space to use on Ubuntu?

Pumalite
March 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM
You can install. It will occupy the ntfs partition (I imagine is at the beginning of the drive). You will have to restore Grub if that is what you had.

MarcusA
March 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Great :p I wouldnt have been surprised if vista would overwrite my boot sectors.

MarcusA
March 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Another question, if I use the 'restore vista to it's factory settings', will that keep my ubuntu installed?

MarcusA
March 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Well, I went ahaid and did it anyways, since I don't really mind if I'd have to reinstall Ubuntu from scratch? When i went to shrink my vista partition some more to my liking I noticed that I still have my partition that I used for Ubuntu though. However when I restart my computer it automatically signs into Vista.

Is my ubuntu installation still there or should I just reinstall it? NVM I think thats what reactivating grub would be for Id think.. But how would I do this?

lol yes I am a n00b sorry.