PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Instalation Question

raulozzi
March 8th, 2009, 04:32 AM
So I already posted about my laptop freezing when I'm installing, booting, or shuting down. The only response I got was to try and download Hardy or Intrepid. I am new to Ubuntu so I'm not quite sure what exactly these are. If anyone could tell me or tell me how to get it to stop freezing that qould be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 04:38 AM
What is the spec of your laptop?

Which release are you trying to install?

At what point in the installation process that it freezes?

Hardy (8.04) and intrepid (8.10) are the two latest releases with hardy as LTS--Long Term Support.

raulozzi
March 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
It is a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT100P
it has a Pentium 4 2.20 GHZ Processor, 1GB ram, 70GB HD,

Release 8.10 (Intrepid)
Kernel LINUX 2.6.27-11-Generic
GNOME 2.24.1

After I choose to install the OS from the main menu after rebooting it goes to a black screen with a cursor at the top left and it will just sit there unless I press a button, and any time when the progress bar is on the screen it will stop. While booting and shuting down it also freezes.

raulozzi
March 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Any thoughts?

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM
How fast did you burn the ISO image to a CD? Did you run the check cd for defects at the initial screen to make sure the CD is good? While at the same initial screen, pick F4 (safe graphics mode) and see if you have any luck with that.

Otherwise, alternate CD is always an option.

raulozzi
March 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I actually got the CD from someone else but I did run the error check on it and it came back fine. I will try the safe graphics mode though and see if that works. If that does work does it mean something is wrong with my graphics card? It works and Compiz Fusion works in it and everything.

chubble10
March 8th, 2009, 07:09 PM
You could try installing it with Wubi. (http://wubi.com.)
That is included on the 8.10 disk. Just insert the disk in Windows and tell it to use Wubi.

raulozzi
March 9th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I didn't see an option to use Wubi and I no longer have Windows on the laptop.