PDA

View Full Version : How many people build their own computers?

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 04:07 AM
The system76 thread got me thinking about that.

If you do build your own, post specs and a pic if you have one.

one of these days i'll do my cables neatly, but i'm too lazy for that. as long as it runs perfect....

damis648
March 8th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I buy and build, but right now my main computer is a laptop. I was actually just on newegg putting a cart together, I would like to build a new one soon. First though I need to make $600. :popcorn:

CJ Master
March 8th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Yes... making my own computer. :) Its a gaming computer.

No pics yet, had to RMA motherboard. >.>

linuxisevolution
March 8th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I have the same case!!! And yes, I build mine :P

mamamia88
March 8th, 2009, 04:15 AM
not yet but i want to learn plan on putting one together as soon as i get some spare cash

Skripka
March 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Tidy those cables up! ;)

PS-I have 3 SATA drives in there.

swoll1980
March 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I will build my next one, I'm not giving anymore money to MS, and I'm not paying twice as much for a prebuilt Linux box. I've taken mine apart, and put it back together. The only thing that scares me, is weather, or not the new stuff is the same as mine.

simtaalo
March 8th, 2009, 04:17 AM
i built my desktops but been using a laptop for a few years now and couldn't go back.

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I have the same case!!! And yes, I build mine :P

as you can see, i put a triangular piece of black tape over the "on" light. it was just too damn bright. i think they could see it from space.

ArtF10
March 8th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I prefer pre-built. I've never bought brand new so that's where I'm able to save.

simtaalo
March 8th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I prefer pre-built

is there a particular reason for that?

do you feel it would just be too much hassle?

Dr Small
March 8th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I built my desktop, rebuilt my server from used hardware, and have another disassembled system lying on my desk in the barn that is running Debian. I build them all. :D

linuxisevolution
March 8th, 2009, 04:28 AM
as you can see, i put a triangular piece of black tape over the "on" light. it was just too damn bright. i think they could see it from space.

Yea, I actually use the case for the family pc, and it lights up the hallway :) . My case is a Sagitta raidmax. It's freaking huge. I don't have a pic though.

gnomeuser
March 8th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I used to build my own for years on end, I took apart my first machine when I was 13. These days however once the components start failing I'm pretty screwed. There's not one place I can call, the store normally charges me a fee if they have to take apart a home built system. This means if I am not absolutely sure what is wrong then risk having to pay a rather hefty sum.

On top of that it's not even sufficiently cheaper any more to justify a home built machine, nor do you ensure getting components that function well together without lots and lots of research.

My next machine will be a Dell or something of that sort. I just don't want the hassle any longer, I want to turn on my machine, pop in my Linux CD (because in Denmark, nobody sells Linux pre-installed) and off I go into adventure land.

Dr Small
March 8th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I used to build my own for years on end, I took apart my first machine when I was 13. These days however once the components start failing I'm pretty screwed. There's not one place I can call, the store normally charges me a fee if they have to take apart a home built system. This means if I am not absolutely sure what is wrong then risk having to pay a rather hefty sum.

I just troubleshoot my problems, going down the list of components, and diagnose the problem. It's usually very simple.

m_duck
March 8th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Tidy those cables up! ;)
Pfft...

The lights always seem like a good idea when you first build, then becoming less and less so as time wears on - especially when watching films.

Edit: Looks like it could do with a clean!

Fenris_rising
March 8th, 2009, 04:36 AM
My current (5 years old setup) is;

Asus A8V-VM mainboard
AMD3200 64FX CPU 2Ghz
ATI Radeaon X300 (I know better now :D )
1GB ram
320GB IDE HDD for data
80GB IDE HDD for other distro's
80 GB SATA for Ubuntu
Realtec NIC
DVD RW Samsung

My first build consisted of rescuing 3 PC's from a skip. Mixing and matching the parts and giving it to my daughter as her first machine.

I built my dads. My late mothers. My Step childrens.

I want to build a new one for me now with moderately affordable parts fit for a large install of Ubuntu. :D

regards

Fenris

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I used to build my own for years on end, I took apart my first machine when I was 13. These days however once the components start failing I'm pretty screwed.

On top of that it's not even sufficiently cheaper any more to justify a home built machine, nor do you ensure getting components that function well together without lots and lots of research.

usually, people that build their own know what's wrong. :-k

as far as being cheaper to build your own, it is significantly cheaper. no doubt. plus, it only took me one hour to build it. if you get a mobo with everything built in, these days it's not much a problem anymore about compatibility. the only consideration is the video card.

Dr Small
March 8th, 2009, 04:40 AM
usually, people that build their own know what's wrong. :-k

as far as being cheaper to build your own, it is significantly cheaper. no doubt. plus, it only took me one hour to build it. if you get a mobo with everything built in, these days it's not much a problem anymore about compatibility. the only consideration is the video card.
I never buy packaged deals. I find used parts, or buy them all individually off the internet.

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I want to build a new one for me now with moderately affordable parts fit for a large install of Ubuntu. :D

if you live in the US, check out newegg.com. lowest prices anywhere. mine was only a little over $400. :D

Therion
March 8th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I've been rolling my own for the past several years. Too bad you'd never know it from my wiring jobs...

Pics are of Obelisk II, my current build, showing off lots of Asus parts.

Paid a fortune for those damn pull out drawers but they're so damn useful I don't care!!!

SuperSonic4
March 8th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Pfft...

The lights always seem like a good idea when you first build, then becoming less and less so as time wears on - especially when watching films.

Mine used to have flashy lights but then I decided they sucked especially at night when trying to watch a dvd in bed or something xD. Makes my laptop look like a craptop mind

Tidy cables are overrated anyway :p

Skripka
March 8th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Rats Nest!!!!

Skripka
March 8th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Pfft...

Who watches movies at the computer? That is what the entertainment center is for (that's fancy parlance for TV/DVD/5.1 surround audio for the undergraduate and under types).

NOTHING irks me more than seeing computer cable rat nests in computers. [-X [-X

Roofdaddy
March 8th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I like the prebuilt's for the speed of use. I did build one back in the late 80's.....with a lot of RTFM'S and some help from http://www.pcmech.com (http://www.pcmech.com/). I liked doing it... trying to save for one part at a time was a nice option.

I was even thinking about a water cooled unit at one point .:D Never realy got the whole overclocking thing down tho.:(

TombKing
March 8th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Who watches movies at the computer?
I do. Though they are not always 'watched' as just on while I running remote server upgrades from my work computer right next to mine. I have watched stuff in the wee hours while on call waiting for the hardware vendor to make their way on site as well.

As far as building one. I finally had the funds and reason for a non surplus,non inherited computer and I went for a laptop so it was prebuilt. Maybe if I had some space for a case below the desk. I always have the urge to scratch build a box but I think I will stick with the laptop/portable machines for now.

kidux
March 8th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Pfft...

I have that case! It was such a good deal at the time.

As for my machines, I've built most everyone since my 486. My first machine was a cobbled together PC XT, with the big red lever for an on switch, lol!

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I have that case!

i like it because it's tool free, and has decent airflow characteristics.

the one thing when it comes to fans and pressure, is that you need negative air pressure to get the best air flow. positive air flow into the case results into overheating. actually, the best fan configuration you can have is one 120mm fan blowing out. it expels air, (creating a need for new air) from every possible nook and cranny. it makes sense.

tuskenraider
March 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Pfft...

WOOT! antec 900 case FTW!!! i just recently built my computer... had a lan party on friday... ordered parts from newegg.com on wednesday... they arrived friday... went to lanparty built pc... and was playing games in less than 4.5 hours!! was fantastic!!!! btw heres a list o parts i put in my pc....

1 Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA
1 OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 1 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
1 ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail
1 Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core
3 KINGWIN 15.74" SATA Data & Power combo cable Model SAC-04 -
1 Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -
1 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
1 Thermaltake W0106RU 700W Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12v
1 EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB

Runs ubuntu 8.10 like a scalded dog. lol

also.. before people make comments about my 160gb hdd.. i have a home server with 1.49tb o hdd space.. lol so all i needed was 160gb...

tusken-ill never buy a prebuilt pc again-raider

p.s

Mine used to have flashy lights but then I decided they sucked especially at night when trying to watch a dvd in bed or something xD. Makes my laptop look like a craptop mind

OMG.... those cables are what nightmares are made of..... OMG.. quick someone get him a case stretcher and some zip ties.!!!!

tusken

tuskenraider
March 8th, 2009, 06:27 AM
well apparently i cant delete my message......

tuebinger
March 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I built my first one over the summer. I blogged about it here.http://humuhumunukuapuaa.blogspot.com/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SAUlLHMj41E/SJTWoCrXf9I/AAAAAAAAENM/UbVZhVgO2xk/s1600-h/Voila!++New+MC!.JPG

Please, forgive me for loading Windows on it... but I have to be able to play games! ;)

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM
1 Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core

how much did you pay for that?

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Please, forgive me for loading Windows on it... but I have to be able to play games! ;)

i just added a hard drive with xp, just so i could play Future Pinball. i'm a pinball freak. (and xp does it well) it's the only thing i use windows for. i guess it's good for something.

tuebinger
March 8th, 2009, 06:41 AM
i just added a hard drive with xp, just so i could play Future Pinball. i'm a pinball freak. it's the only thing i use windows for. i guess it's good for something.

We just use the home-built computer for games. My primary computer is actually a System76 laptop with Ubuntu.

yther
March 8th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Poll is missing an option for "Can build my own but will happily take free machines when available." ;)

After rescuing PCs and Macs from the trash for a while, in 2006 I got a cheap Dell with XP in order to run OCR projects. In 2007 I got a laptop (Dell refurb) and had been saving to build a new "big box" last year but never got around to it. So the one in the picture was the first home-built machine for me in at least five years, and it took me forever to research the parts because of my unfamiliarity with current technology.

You can't tell from looking at it, but that single blue LED on top is bright enough to read by when the lights are out. :shock: I don't mind it but it was surprising.

Q9400 Quad core, 2 × 1 TB RAID, 640 GB system drive, and dual-head GeForce 9500 GT.

hellion0
March 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I usually buy used, so most of the time they're pre-built. I then do extensive modifications before ever booting the machine. In my last desktop, for example, I changed the memory, replaced the sound card and added a TV tuner.

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM
My primary computer is actually a System76 laptop with Ubuntu.

I see myself as a desktop user. Laptops don't matter much.

when i'm out and about, the last thing i think about is my laptop, cellphone, pda.

i spend enuff time as it is on here.

shateredsoul
March 8th, 2009, 06:49 AM
It would be nice to get a very basic basic guide to build a computer (not using a bare bones system though... ). The guide might explain what to look for when choosing a mother board (front bus? SATA? Wha? ). And an example of what choice for a cheap system would be and maybe also a gaming system. I found one once that was a how to for a cheap 250 desktop.. but the parts were outdated. I would love to try it, but would be less "chicken" if there was someone that said, "Ok, these parts will definitely work together". Then I would feel less worried about building my first pc. I would love to do a short blog that maybe was updated every 6 months to identify the new parts for a cheap desktop.

oh well

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Poll is missing an option for "Can build my own but will happily take free machines when available." ;)

you're a person after my heart. free machines are good. i've made ALOT of money on free machines. but, you have to be good at finding those situations. :-k

raulozzi
March 8th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Here is my desktop I built a couple years ago

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj49/raulozzi/Picture081.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj49/raulozzi/Picture084.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj49/raulozzi/Picture082.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj49/raulozzi/Picture083.jpg

And here is a video
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj49/raulozzi/th_Picture085.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj49/raulozzi/?action=view&current=Picture085.flv)

It has an Intel MB with 1.5 GB Ram a 2.4GHZ Processor, HP DVD burner with Lightscribe (amazing burner, best I have ever seen, only $30 new) and some other odds and ends.

ArtF10
March 8th, 2009, 07:08 AM
is there a particular reason for that?

do you feel it would just be too much hassle?

hassle. Plus, like I said, I buy refurbished....

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Plus, like I said, I buy refurbished....

from people like me. i sell computers as well as fix em.

Firestem4
March 8th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I build my own computers. Except laptops (I will let other people deal with assembly.)

I biult my current desktop rig over a year ago and I have not had any money since then to do any upgrading. The CPU and graphics cards are the only things that are in need of an upgrade but it isn't detrimental. (Pentium D 3.2ghz and an ATI X1950Pro. However the graphics card is actually daamn freakin good.)

I have a monster of a case. The Tagan - El Diablo http://www.tagan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=123 Has the worlds largest case fan (When I bought it. May have changed since then); 330mm on the side 250mm in the front.

kidux
March 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Anyone know where I can get the parts to build a laptop? Or if it's even worth the time to do it?

Firestem4
March 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Anyone know where I can get the parts to build a laptop? Or if it's even worth the time to do it?

I think newegg does. But Im not sure. Someone will have to correct me on that.

And it is definitely worth it if you can do it because you don't have to pay for rediculous markup prices. (Just like the reason many of us choose to build our own computers. We can easily save hundreds of dollars by not having to pay certain taxes {Labor, Windows Bundles, etc)

raulozzi
March 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Newegg.com has some stuff to build laptops, I useually go through Tigerdirect.com for my computer parts. You can get (at least 1 week ago you could) a barebone kit with a Intel Dual core 3.4 GHz processor with motherboard, 4 Gb ram, case and a 1600 watt power supply ( a real monster, I think like $249 new) for $299 after an instant rebate. All you would really need is a cd or dvd drive. Had built in video, ethernet, audio, etc and of course a HD. They do have barebone Laptop kits not sure how much they are though. I just bought a broken laptop off of eBay and fixed it up though and it works fine.

hello_kitty
March 8th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Newegg.com is the way to go for computer parts. I have never gone anywhere else. Excellent pricing, phenomenal variety of goods, delightfully relevant reviews, and vast array of other pertinent information. Uh oh, I think I may have just become a Newegg fan-boy... ;)

Dylanby
March 8th, 2009, 08:35 AM
...as far as being cheaper to build your own, it is significantly cheaper. no doubt...

Usually that's true. Although I've seen some packaged systems sold locally on sale for much less than I could build them, esp. those that include LCDs. Systems sold at box stores go on sale every other week here. The quality of prebuilt systems isn't the same as home built, but the value is sometimes greater.

I still prefer to build my own as I'm picky about components (e.g., cases and power supplies). Prebuilt systems generally have poor cooling too.

For my next build I'm looking at using this case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133045).

Firestem4
March 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM
That is true Dylanby. Especially with Monitors. They cost an arm and a leg. If you buy them as a package deal. A few fingers at most. lol.

victor7
March 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Started designing my first gaming computer a year ago. I also need it for business and all other possible uses. When I decided what I wanted, I started looking on ebay and craigslit and other auctions, as well as newegg, tigerdirect,etc. Found an Antec900 case that had a Raidmax 600 ps for $30. Found another 'part built' system that had an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 Quad Core Processor(including a Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler) and a bad mobo. Paid $550. Got an Asus P45 P5Q-E Crossfire mobo for $150(new).

Got a crashed computer for $300 that included a Visiontec HD5870 Video Card with GDDR5 memory and 4GB Ballistix PC2-6400RAM. Found two used 400GB WD SATA II Hard Drives for $200, and a used Emprex 20X SATA DVD Burner for $100. Paid $250 for Vista64, Office 2007 and a Lexmark 3350. Then finished with a 22" AOC monitor for $160.

Looked a lot and researched a lot and stayed well under $2000.

I also had a lot of left over parts, so installed 3 extra fans with blue leds, and painted the inside and outside black.

With leftovers I assembled a good working system that I sold for $150. Plus another for my wife that would cost about $700 to replace new today. Plus a simpler one for my 9 yr old grandson to continue his interest in taking them apart... I have a final one with Linux on one hard drive and xp pro on the second. Trying to get that to work starting with crashed and 'mucked up' Dell Dim 8200 starting system. Spent about $300 more for needed items not pulled from the 5 systems I accumulated in the process. Lot's of fun and frustration, but doable without much money.

tuskenraider
March 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
how much did you pay for that?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14503407

here is my newegg wish list of the computer that i built... and i paid 189 for the processor.

but i have a very bad habbit of keeping pcs around for years and years and years... so i built this one with the intention of not having to build another one for 3 to 5 yrs. +or- some misc parts.

tusken

Arkenzor
March 8th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I used to back when I actually used desktops, but custom-built laptops are only a distant dream.

Dylanby
March 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM
tuskenraider: I have built quite a few systems using the Antec Nine Hundred. A very nice case. Personally I like the look of the Three Hundred better (I'm a simple guy). Last year I was able to pick up quite a few Nine's for < $90.00 CAD. Good value (and cooling).

networm1230
March 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I have a question for computer builders. Is building a computer hard?.

I would like to build a micro atx with one of the new cpu's like a core i7 and a gpu like ATI Radeon HD4870 x2.

Is it even possible to put that card on a micro atx motherboard? Dos anyone have any suggestions on a motherboard for a ATI Radeon HD4870 x2 (gpu)

raulozzi
March 8th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Not to mention almost all (if not all) new pre-built computers have some version of Vista on them.

JK3mp
March 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I plan on very soon building a new computer ground up.

networm1230
March 8th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I plan on very soon building a new computer ground up.

I would like to build a micro atx with one of the new cpu's like a core i7 and a gpu like ATI Radeon HD4870 x2.

Is it even possible to put that card on a micro atx motherboard? Dos anyone have any suggestions on a motherboard for a ATI Radeon HD4870 x2 (gpu)

raulozzi
March 8th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Networm building a computer isn't hard at all. The motherboard you choose will tell you exactly what you can put into it. As far as the ATI card goes it all depends on the motherboard. I have never seen a card not able to go into a computer because of the case. You have to see if the motherboard takes AGP, PCI, PCIe. It will tell you if it takes SATA or IDE for the HD, what kinds memory it takes (DDR2, DDR3) and if its like PC2700 etc. It will tell you if it can hold 2GB ram or even up to 16GB ram as some of the i7 compatible motherboards can hold and how much pe slot it can hold. It's very easy just always make sure you are grounded out whenever you are touching anything inside of it otherwise you can short something out, just touch a piece of metal on the case and you will be good.

tuskenraider
March 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Its not overly hard... if you can change memory or plug in a hard drive then you can build a computer.. its very round hole round peg square hole square peg.. if its not supposed to go in that spot then it wont go.

The hardest part for me is all the small wires for front panel stuff.. im all thumbs so teeny tiny plugins are hard for me...

heck even processor changes arent hard... just dont push down.. or slide left and right... itll plop down in the spot its supposed to go into.

as far as micro cases... idk.. im of the thought.. build it big with enough fans to blow your hair back.. lol

tusken

raulozzi
March 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM
From what I can see with that ATI card you would just need to get a motherboard with PCIe 2.0 with an x16 interface which the i7 compatible motherboard Intel DX68SO lga1366 I believe it is has on it.

networm1230
March 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Networm building a computer isn't hard at all. The motherboard you choose will tell you exactly what you can put into it. As far as the ATI card goes it all depends on the motherboard. I have never seen a card not able to go into a computer because of the case. You have to see if the motherboard takes AGP, PCI, PCIe. It will tell you if it takes SATA or IDE for the HD, what kinds memory it takes (DDR2, DDR3) and if its like PC2700 etc. It will tell you if it can hold 2GB ram or even up to 16GB ram as some of the i7 compatible motherboards can hold and how much pe slot it can hold. It's very easy just always make sure you are grounded out whenever you are touching anything inside of it otherwise you can short something out, just touch a piece of metal on the case and you will be good.

thank you for responding my gratitude gos to you. vary helpful

networm1230
March 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Its not overly hard... if you can change memory or plug in a hard drive then you can build a computer.. its very round hole round peg square hole square peg.. if its not supposed to go in that spot then it wont go.

The hardest part for me is all the small wires for front panel stuff.. im all thumbs so teeny tiny plugins are hard for me...

heck even processor changes arent hard... just dont push down.. or slide left and right... itll plop down in the spot its supposed to go into.

as far as micro cases... idk.. im of the thought.. build it big with enough fans to blow your hair back.. lol

tusken

thanks man

raulozzi
March 8th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Not a problem Networm. I want to get an i7 as well but I'm gonna wait awhile until they are out for awhile to see if there are any bugs. If you have any questions about building feel free to ask. I can even make some suggestions on what to get if you decide what kinda processor or motherboard you want I can find you some compatible stuff for it and let you know.

Naiki Muliaina
March 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Built my last PC, cost me less than £600 for the monster below. There really is no other way than to self build IMHO.

All components from Aria.co.uk, checked here that everything worked with Linux before i bought it. I dont use windows so knowing everything works with Linux is a must for me. If your buying hardware of PC's of any type and you want it to work with Linux, check it here first every time. I imagine its very annoying to spend a few hundred quid on a PC to not have it work with your fave operating system.

I cant stand Overclockers, so refuse to buy anything from them. But i believe if bought from Overclockers this PC was a bit cheaper.

https://www.aria.co.uk/dynres/Z2FsbGVyeV9pbWFnZS53aWR0aD00MDA=/bWFpbmltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0X2ltYWdlcy9vcmlnaW5hbC9jc2 xpYW5wYzhiLmpwZw==.jpg

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-MA790X (https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Socket+AM2+(AMD)/Gigabyte+GA-MA790X-DS4+AMD+790X+Socket+AM2+Motherboard+?productId=320 61)

Processor : AMD 3.1 (http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/CPUs+%2F+Processors/AMD/Athlon+64+Socket+AM2/AMD+Athlon+64+X2+Dual+Core+6000%2B+3.1GHz+(AM2)+?p roductId=33927)

Ram : Black Dragon Ram (https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Memory/DDR2/DDR2+800+(PC6400)/GeIL+8GB+PC2-6400+C5+Black+Dragon+(4x2GB)+?productId=33302)

Graphics Card : GeForce 9800 GT (https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/PCI-E/nVIDIA+GeForce+9+Series/nVidia+GeForce+9800GTX%2B+512MB+PCI-E+?productId=33059)

Power Supply : 900 Watt Supply (https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/500w+%2B/OCZ+900W+ModXStream+Modular+PSU+?productId=29109)

Case : Lian Li ATX case (https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/MIDI+Tower/Lian+Li+PC-8B+Aluminium+Midi+Case+Black+?productId=32398)

Lite On DVD/CD RW Drive

2 Hard drives (Hitachi 320gig, Seagate 160gig)

ugm6hr
March 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I've only built 1 computer, which acts as a media server / centre. Haven't added the wireless controllers to simplify things (yet).

All-in for under £200 a few months ago (no monitor). I don't think you can beat that for a mobo with 5-channel sound and decent graphics / HDMI etc, and a slimline case.

Before that, I'd only bought pre-built. There is plenty of advice on building your own online. I found this invaluable: http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

My next one will be a mini-ITX, I think (the first was a test - for parents).

gn2
March 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I've built one computer for me, one for the wife and loads of computers for other people.

My own desktop PC has the original Coolermaster ATC-210 (http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/coolermaster_atc210/Images/CoolerMaster%20001.jpg) aluminium case. (mine has the door removed for convenience)
It's been through three motherboards, two CPU's, two sets of RAM, three graphics cards, four hard drives, three optical drives and two PSU's.

Currently it has an Asrock Conroe 945DVI, E6300, 1gb Corsair XMS2, 250gb Hitachi HDD, LG DVD-RW and a Seasonic S-12 330 PSU.

I like computers to be quiet, so the case is lined with damping material, the hard drive sits in an original novibes cage, (Rev III link (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article39-page1.html)) the PSU was chosen because it is very quiet, motherboard was chosen because there is no need for a graphics card and no motherboard chipset fan.
The top and rear 80mm fans (http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/index.html) are controlled by an Akasa Junior (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-020-AK) fan controller.
The CPU fan is stock Intel, it's reasonably quiet but I keep meaning to replace it with a Noctua NH C12P (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article846-page2.html), never got around to it yet, maybe this summer.

Then again maybe not because I find that I use my laptop more these days, it's an Asus F9E and is surprisingly quiet.

Why can't pre-built desktop computers all be as quiet as iMacs?

Klaz168
March 8th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Yep, I build my own comps. It saves alot of money when you collect parts, then build them. Plus, I know what specs I'll need and what I wont need.

When I went shopping for this machine I have right now, I spent half the money I had on the CPU, because I needed a big CPU. A prebuilt comp with the same CPU would of costed me 3x what I payed, because they normally add expensive GFX cards with such CPUs, (Gaming Machines), MS License, etc.

Why pay for something that I dont need?

cmay
March 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM
i build new computers out of parts and trashed computers. i find them anywhere and people just trash them for no other reason that they can not run windows xp or vista. what i do is i simply just buy a new case and maybe some ram and new dvddrive if the computer is really working well and worth it.

it cost me about the same price as the the case and ram to get a nice computer as people just trash the old hardware as this is the consumers way today. use it for a while and toss it away when the next fancy thing pops up. i live good on that but i hate that people do this becouse its really not that good for the enviroment. i have only made a few up to now and i give them away or use them as betatesting machines.

specs on my computer used for running jaunty
celeron 700 mzh
512 mb ram
160 gb harddisk. (it says so on the harddrive but it is only 120)
new case and a usb expansion card on it and put togheter on two days from two other computers.

if i was to buy a computer either new or used i would choose one of these offers.
there is a few in Denmark that sells linux preinstalled

http://www.brugtecomputere.dk/group.asp?group=44
ubuntu is popular enough to be preinstalled on these old computers and think its great.

http://www.linuxshoppen.dk/products.php?showvariant_id=6787
(this is my new laptop. and i got it last month other than that i have only used and repaired pc)

athaki
March 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I wish I built mine.

mips
March 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM

I can severely impede cooling.

I hope others here new to building don't follow your example.

gn2
March 8th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I can severely impede cooling.

I hope others here new to building don't follow your example.

Perhaps you can explain in what way messy cables impede airflow?
In my experience air moves easily around cables and there is no appreciable difference between the cooling efficiency of a pc with it's cables hanging loose and with them neatly tidied.
IMO air exchange rate, the amount of cooling fin in contact with the air and the conductive propeties of the heatsink material are the key factors.

I reckon tidy cables = better cooling is an urban myth.

Naiki Muliaina
March 8th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Depends on your cases airflow and how many cables you have blocking the air flow ^^

If i had every power cable that came with my PSU attached to something and they just sprouted out all over the shop in front of the fans, it would have a severe impact on my rigs cooling. I have an inflow at the front and outflow at the back. Although they are big, they are definitely block-able.
^^

I know air flows can be different in other case's, but my case would have its flow impeded. ^^

xpod
March 8th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I`ve only built one computer from completely new parts but it seemed like the natural thing to do after spending my first couple of years pulling apart all the "donated machines" i`d acquired along the way.
Nothing fancy and like ugm6hr i built the whole tower for around £200.
It`s the silver one shown although the table & 2nd machine are long since sacked.......too many messy wires:D

Tidy cables are overrated anyway

Tidy cables,not just within the PC`s,are a bit of an obsession for me.
I`m forever thinking up new ways of hiding/tidying them all.
I think it took off at our old property where i`d wired half the house with CAT5.Done to WAF standards of course.Sadly i cant get the relevant permission here at our new property so wireless has to suffice for all bar me.

EDIT:

The only airflow mines have to be tidy for is my dear wifes.... :-)

gn2
March 8th, 2009, 12:08 PM
~ If i had every power cable that came with my PSU attached to something and they just sprouted out all over the shop in front of the fans, it would have a severe impact on my rigs cooling. ~

How do you know if you haven't tried it?
It's a good idea to tuck unused cables out the way and make sure that the cables in use don't foul the rotation of the fans, but unless you consciously elect to build a wall of IDE ribbons untidy cabling is highly unlikely to have a seriously detrimental effect on cooling.

kelvin spratt
March 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM
As far as I'm concerned its the only way to custom build your rig + you save a fortune on the way.

gn2
March 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
~ Sadly i cant get the relevant permission here at our new property so wireless has to suffice for all bar me. ~

Tried homeplug adaptors (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-85mbps-Homeplug-network-adapter-Powerline-home-plug_W0QQitemZ350165188902QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co mputing_Networking_SM?hash=item350165188902&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18)?

jimi_hendrix
March 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
i voted yes because i was close to doing it, but by the time the parts came my vacation would have been up and i wouldnt have had time to

the rig i got i am planning on adding some ram to it soon though

mips
March 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
In my experience air moves easily around cables and there is no appreciable difference between the cooling efficiency of a pc with it's cables hanging loose and with them neatly tidied.
IMO air exchange rate, the amount of cooling fin in contact with the air and the conductive propeties of the heatsink material are the key factors.

Personal experience good enough? I've experienced it first hand.

I'm not into fluid or thermo dynamics but they are at work inside a computer case as well.
You also see them at work in data centres with under floor pressurised cooling and equipment rack cabling.

The speed at which air gets drawn across components affects cooling. If you have cables and stuff in the way you are essentially creating eddies & currents that are not as effective as straight airflow.

Then you also get manufacturers recommening how you should cable your case for optimum cooling. My XFX gpu came with a case wiring guide. Different cases obviously handle things different manners.

I'm not asking you to believe me, you are free to believe what you want.

Anyway, I'm anal when it comes to cabling. It has to be tidy.

Naiki Muliaina
March 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
How do you know if you haven't tried it?

Because i have done something like that on a previous PC i was a nub and did such thing's. I think i had put in a new hard drive or something (first inner job i had done on a PC) and left all the spare cables untucked and hanging down. It was one of the old basic Packard Bell cases. Before they had the side outflow. I had left them totally blocking the inflow at the front. Imagine if you will, every spare cable your PC has just hanging in-front of the fan. This wasn't helped by the fact that the PSU had these nice long cables on so nothing felt stretched all over the case. Brilliant idea, but when a nub like myself at the time was involved, i left them hanging down too instead of tucking the excess away.

Dumb eh? That caused an airflow problem alright. My current PSU has much more cables, if i left them untidy and hanging, they would do the same thing.

It's a good idea to tuck unused cables out the way and make sure that the cables in use don't foul the rotation of the fans

That line actually sounds like tidying cables to me.... So you tidy your cables? ^^

xpod
March 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Tried homeplug adaptors?

I`ve had good reports about them and i did consider them when we moved but the wireless has been fine to be honest.It even works great the 30+ feet at the bottom of our back garden,where i`ll soon be building an outhouse...

Much quieter doon there:D

gn2
March 8th, 2009, 12:37 PM
~ The speed at which air gets drawn across components affects cooling. ~

Bernoulli showed us that air flowing through a restriction accellerates.
If you have cables in the way the air will accelerate as it passes around them.
It is the mass of the air which absorbs the heat.
The mass of air entering and leaving the case is what determines cooling efficiency.

As for eddies and turbulence, what happens with a top-down CPU cooler?
It scatters air in all directions, a few cables in the way won't make any difference to the airstream which is a total mess anyway.

My hard drive sits in an optical bay, it is not directly in contact with the chassis, it sits in rubber bands, there is no air opening in front of it for air to be drawn over it at speed.
This is entirely contrary to popular belief about how hard drives should be configured, yet it still remains cool.
How does that happen?

gn2
March 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
That line actually sounds like tidying cables to me.... So you tidy your cables? ^^

No, I just try to stop them from hitting the fan on the CPU, they are actually a bit of a mess.

mips
March 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM
How does that happen?

No idea, I'm no expert in this field.

Maybe open a new thread in this forum, http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=169

tuxsheadache
March 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I built my own, the specs are in my signature. I am one of the asaka 900 case owners, although I no longer use the massive amounts of fans it provides.
I only have one fan going which is on the PSU. Between that and the HDD it's virtually silent.

scottuss
March 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I think you missed an option: "I weigh up the cost effectiveness of both" because I am more than capable of building my own system (I worked in a computer store for several years building them) but my last PC was a HP bought from a retail store. Why? Because the cost of the parts to build the same spec machine + delivery came to about the same as the HP.

I would rather have the machine working, all built and any issues with any piece of hardware resolved by complete replacement of the unit as opposed to building from components from several different suppliers to find one piece does not work and then have the hassle of sending it back etc etc.

If there was a massive cost saving then I'd do it. But the difference was like ten to fifteen pounds. Not really a big deal to me.

Skripka
March 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM

i7 does not exist for microATX.

In all honesty, most of the layouts for i7 boards STINK. They are cramped and overloaded with too much crap as is. The result? Using a GPU often causes you to lose PCi slots. i7 boards are even very large sized full ATX boards as I recall.

For the monster ATi cards, you NEED a HUGE case. All the ATi X2 cards, are about 11.5 inches long...Nvidia GTXs are 10.5.

The ONLY to get it to fit in a Lian-Li ATX mid-tower is to cut out sheet metal by hand from the HDD cages. Nvidia GTxs fit snug-but you don't need to go cutting sheet metal.

mips
March 8th, 2009, 03:28 PM
i7 does not exist for microATX.

In all honesty, most of the layouts for i7 boards STINK. They are cramped and overloaded with too much crap as is. The result? Using a GPU often causes you to lose PCi slots. i7 boards are even very large sized full ATX boards as I recall.

For the monster ATi cards, you NEED a HUGE case. All the ATi X2 cards, are about 11.5 inches long...Nvidia GTXs are 10.5.

The ONLY to get it to fit in a Lian-Li ATX mid-tower is to cut out sheet metal by hand from the HDD cages. Nvidia GTxs fit snug-but you don't need to go cutting sheet metal.

+1

The new GPUs are monsters and provide quite a tight fit.

Skripka
March 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
+1

The new GPUs are monsters and provide quite a tight fit.

You don't want to know how many Dremel Mototool attachments my brother burned through/broke during the 2-3 hours it took for him to get his 4850X2 to fit inside his computer case. :-$

mamamia88
March 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM
as much as i plan on building a pc just for the experience i can't help at looking at the prices of prebuilt pcs and matching the price in my own build. look at this weeks ads and they had an hp desktop with 4gb ram, amd phenom quad core processor, and a 500gb harddrive for $500 tell me i could build one like that for that price would be near impossible

scottuss
March 8th, 2009, 04:19 PM
as much as i plan on building a pc just for the experience i can't help at looking at the prices of prebuilt pcs and matching the price in my own build. look at this weeks ads and they had an hp desktop with 4gb ram, amd phenom quad core processor, and a 500gb harddrive for $500 tell me i could build one like that for that price would be near impossible

Exactly what I said in my previous post, it's really hard to beat the pre-built prices these days, if you really look hard enough.

gn2
March 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Exactly what I said in my previous post, it's really hard to beat the pre-built prices these days, if you really look hard enough.

But the pre-built ones will have cheap and nasty PSUs and cases.
Pre-build is convenient, self build ensures top quality components are used.

scottuss
March 8th, 2009, 04:31 PM
But the pre-built ones will have cheap and nasty PSUs and cases.
Pre-build is convenient, self build ensures top quality components are used.

Not always! ;)

gn2
March 8th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Not always! ;)

True, you could buy a cheap and nasty PSU or case, but that would defeat the object of a self build.

scottuss
March 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
True, you could buy a cheap and nasty PSU or case, but that would defeat the object of a self build.

I would have thought it was obvious that I meant you don't always get the cheap and nasty PSU and cases...?

If you really care about these things, you can check what is inside a pre-built, you just have to get the specs either A) from the Internet or B) from the retail store. Option A is usually the best!

And as a system builder for a long time, I do not subscribe to the notion that a stupidly expensive PSU is required, nor does it offer any major advantage other than to perhaps gamers who want to stick 10 million Graphics cards inside! lol.

doorknob60
March 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I build computers, but since I'm poor (15 years old) I reuse parts from prebuilts that my parents bought. My computer in my siggy is built from a Pentium 4 HP, I just gutted it and replaced everything except the PSU (which we had to replace after a power surge once) and the case (hey, it fits :P) so it looks like a crappy HP prebuild but it's a lot better than that :P

gn2
March 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
~ you can check what is inside a pre-built, you just have to get the specs either A) from the Internet or B) from the retail store. Option A is usually the best! ~

I have never known a pre-built PC from a major manufacturer to have the type of PSU listed on their website, or for the staff in a retail store to know.

I agree that there's no point spending stupid money on a PSU, but it is the one area where cutting corners is a bad idea.
I have seen a few PCs trashed because of poor quality PSUs.

scottuss
March 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I have never known a pre-built PC from a major manufacturer to have the type of PSU listed on their website, or for the staff in a retail store to know.

I agree that there's no point spending stupid money on a PSU, but it is the one area where cutting corners is a bad idea.
I have seen a few PCs trashed because of poor quality PSUs.

I agree with the retail store staff not knowing, but allowing you to have a look for yourself on demo models can usually be persuaded if you make the sales person believe you will but it. Not only that but you should never trust the specs of any part of your machine from the "official" website, the most common thing I've found to happen is that a certain part of the spec be changed for "different markets" and that change not be reflected in the official documentation, or it be a slightly different model number but under the same "range"

HammerOfDoubt
March 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I deal with PC component replacements and exchanges all day, and I see a lot of those "stock" PSU's blowing out and frying the board.

You don't have to shell out huge wads of cash, but definitely don't go cheap on it.

HavocXphere
March 8th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Definitely DIY. Built my first one when I was 13.

The pre-built ones always seem to have some flaw/underpowered component sneaked in somewhere. If I build it myself, I can make sure that all the components are on the same level, i.e. no single bottleneck. Or they include a crazy powerful graphics card that is held back by the rest of the system.:rolleyes:

Simian Man
March 8th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Nowadays with low-price retailers like Wal-Mart selling selling machines, it really isn't worth it to build your own unless you want something specialized. I got a good general purpose-gaming machine for $500 (yes I know Wal-Mart is evil).

HammerOfDoubt
March 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Nowadays with low-price retailers like Wal-Mart selling selling machines, it really isn't worth it to build your own unless you want something specialized. I got a good general purpose-gaming machine for $500 (yes I know Wal-Mart is evil).

I can't even step foot into a Wal-Mart without going into a fit of rage. The lights are all dim and the aisles are cramped and there are too many people. It's like a collective coffin. I couldn't imagine buying a PC there.

linuxisevolution
March 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM
if you live in the US, check out newegg.com. lowest prices anywhere. mine was only a little over $400. :D

Really? I built a media center on there for $155 :)

linuxisevolution
March 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
i just added a hard drive with xp, just so i could play Future Pinball. i'm a pinball freak. (and xp does it well) it's the only thing i use windows for. i guess it's good for something.

Windows is better for error music:

http://98.219.177.90/apache2-default/linforum/forum/forum/index.php?view=topic&board=4&top=1

Speed Demon
March 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
neh, built my first myself when I was 8. I built this one I'm using last May for my 11th b-day =)

linuxisevolution
March 8th, 2009, 06:16 PM
neh, built my first myself when I was 8. I built this one I'm using last May for my 11th b-day =)

I built my first Windows 98 system 4 years ago when I was 12. Win98 was all I had and knew about, lol. Then I put Ubuntu 6.10 on it some years later:

Pentium 3 450mhz
128mb ram
16mb graphics
20gb hdd.

Mostly scrap parts :P

amadeus266
March 8th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I always build my own machines. I haven't purchased a prebuilt other than my laptop since I was using my Commodore 128. Nothing special, just general use machines. I've probably built 30 or so over the years.

arsenic23
March 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I built my first PC when I was 11 out of parts I got from the trash. If I remember it correctly, it was mostly an Epson workstation, with drives and memory pulled from other computers. I think.....

I wouldn't be oposed to buying a name brand PC... but I don't think I've ever seen anyother other then lowend builds that came close to the saving of building a machine from parts. Though, one of my jobs envolves purchasing PC equiptment and parts wholesale, so I sometimes can get impossibly awesome deals on PC parts.

I built my currant PC almost a year ago and I paid $600 dollars for in including the 22inch widescreen monitor. It has a large server PSU (because I've had 8 harddrives in it before), a video capture card, Nvidia 7800GT (which was almost free), Q6600, bunch of hard drives, ect.. etc... I don't remember all the deals I got when buying the parts for it, but I got the CPU for about $60 less then Newegg's price, and the PSU was $140 dollars less.

Anyway, the picture included is all of my main PCs right now.

linuxisevolution
March 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Anyway, the picture included is all of my main PCs right now.

LOL peanut..

arsenic23
March 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
LOL peanut..

I change my naming scheme about every half a year to a year. I put together two servers for work at the same time, they ended up being named oak and acorn.

steveneddy
March 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I haven't built one since buying laptops from system76.

There isn't any reason to have a desktop anymore in my world. We are just too mobile.

The laptops give us options of working anywhere in the house or while out on the road, which I am most of the time.

One of these days I will build a cool MythTV desktop unit when I'm not traveling so much, but until then we will purchase our prebuild laptops with Ubuntu installed and running.

But wolven69 is in the business, so it makes perfect sense for him to build his own. Extreme hobbyists also benefit from a home built unit most of the time, also.

Skripka
March 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I haven't built one since buying laptops from system76.

There isn't any reason to have a desktop anymore in my world. We are just too mobile.

The laptops give us options of working anywhere in the house or while out on the road, which I am most of the time.

During my undergraduate degree I thought like this.

But really, I find no reason to need a laptop anymore. I thought I'd miss it-but I really don't...especially when they are pricey and you don't get that much bang for your buck compared to a tower. Granted I'm not on the road that much nowadays. Of course for some of the apps I run-a big screen and good power are pre-reqs-and trying to do things on a touchpad is an exercise in frustration.

I've only toyed with the idea of getting a netbook recently...but I ain't paying full coin for what they want. The price/performance ration is just to screwey to pay anywhere near full price.

ranch hand
March 8th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Well I want to thank the OP for this thread. I have threatened to build a computer for years.

We had our old one built for us, lasted 10 years with the only replacement being the CDrom. Bought the new one in a hurry to stay connected. It is nice but I still had to put in a REAL modem and paralell/serial port card. The DVDrom is buggy, the external Memorex CD and DVD drives do all that.

Now that I know what OS I am going to be using I want to build a power box for fun (mostly). I want to try Mythbuntu and I want the bugger to work. I figure if it works with that there is no problem running anything I want.

Thanks again.

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I want to try Mythbuntu and I want the bugger to work. I figure if it works with that there is no problem running anything I want.
Thanks again.

get a Hauppauge PVR x50 card if you want to make sure tv works. it is supported natively in ubuntu.

the8thstar
March 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I put that I'm too scared to try. Truth is, I don't even know where to start to assemble compatible elements. Any great suggestions?

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I put that I'm too scared to try. Truth is, I don't even know where to start to assemble compatible elements. Any great suggestions?

Here's (http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/) a good place to start.

it really is easier than one might think. i could show a little child how to do it. once you do it, you'll say, "that's it?".

kpatz
March 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Here's my latest build. Phenom II 920 X4 based, running Ubuntu Intrepid Server.

http://www.patzcatz.com/server/dsc03948.jpg

http://www.patzcatz.com/server/dsc03949.jpg

http://www.patzcatz.com/server/dsc03950.jpg

http://www.patzcatz.com/server/dsc03954.jpg

http://www.patzcatz.com/server/dsc03955.jpg

http://www.patzcatz.com/server/dsc03956.jpg

http://www.patzcatz.com/server/dsc03957.jpg

lindsay7
March 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM
To Networm, I have built six or seven computers over the last year. The biggest weak point I have seen is with power supplies. Bigger is better in this case i.e. more watts and good brand names help i.e. quality. Life is a little easier with pw's that have modular cabling (you only plug in what you need to the ps and you have a neat cable to begin with. I have had real good luck buying thru Tiger direct and Newegg. I have not talked to the order support people at Newegg, but the Tiger phone order people are good at helping choose components if you need it the online order system is good to. If you go to the Tiger site you can find videos on a lot of installs.

sloggerkhan
March 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Outside of laptops I always build my own.
Why?
First of all, it is cheaper.
Usually cheap Dells or other makes seem like good deals, then you realise that if you get all the RAM you want or put in large HDDs or get a decent warranty they cost is giant. Then I price the same componants at newegg, realize that I' save several hundred dollars.

BYOPC is a better option, I get the parts I want for less instead of adapting what I want to fit the parts offered for more, not to mention that when you buy raw parts, most all major componants come with 3 year warranties (maybe excluding the PSU). So by building your own you basically get a 3 year warranty for free, rather than having it add +$200/$300 to the price.

I recently built a home server type machine with 5 HDDs and dirt cheap everything else. Trying to get something like that from dell is impossible in a price competitive range.

I got cheap (but reliable): CPU, RAM, Case, PSU, and 4 HDDs for RAID for under $500 at newegg... with dell, can't even find a computer with more than 2 HDs for under $800 and the closest thing to what I put together seems to be some sort of server that costs $2000+, though it's probably using ecc RAM and other expensive server type parts. Cyberpower has stuff that's a bit more in line with what I was looking for, but still costs significantly more, have to compensate for RAID-V with mirrored 1.5 Terabyte drives.

So BYOPC is really a much better option IMO. Especially considering with newegg you probably get your parts faster and your PC built more quickly than you will end up receiving it from someplace like Dell, where estimated ship date is always a week or 2 down the road.

issih
March 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Built my last two, its really very simple. Never really got that into the "building the absolute best thing i could" side of it, mostly because it costs too much for me :) but it is satisfying and definitely worth it even at the budget end of things. I threw together my last box for about £140 which got me a athlon 4600 2 gb of ram, a 500gb hard drive and an HD2400 graphics card.

None of that will set the world alight, but it cost me peanuts especially as I installed ubuntu on it for free, thanks to al the developers there :).

if you want a pc and you just want it to do the job of a nettop type thing these days I reckon you could do it for about £100 (15 for case 40 for motherboard and cpu, 10 for memory, 20 for hard and 15 for a dvd drive). Building your own toys, its fun :)

thisllub
March 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I haven't built one in years. It is far easier to find a good supplier and get them to build it to spec for you.
I have never found a cost benefit in building over buying this way.
I always establish business relationships with local suppliers for client's computers as I don't want to know about broken hardware.
In return I usually get good service.

RandomJoe
March 9th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I prefer to build my own, but do have lots of store-bought ones. Most of the store-bought units are "surplus" from work - when they weren't wanted anymore, they were given away. I also have a couple of Dell laptops - not going to try building one of those yet.

For a short while, I did give up self-built, but I was sorely disappointed. While I could get a reasonable price, and it saved me the hassle and time, I have yet to find a store-bought system that gives the performance of an equivalently-priced home-built. Perhaps if I went to the truly high-end machines, but then I would have just built it myself anyway at that point.

As to messy cables, I'm not very tidy either. I do make a point of moving things around so airflow isn't restricted, but lots of cable ties and loom drives me crazy. I fiddle around with my stuff and work on things too frequently to put up with it!

I also switched completely to laptop for my primary machine for a while at one point. I switched back with my latest self-built system, primarily for screen real-estate. I could tolerate the 1600x1200 display on my Latitude C840, but now I have three flat panels and a DLP projector available on my desktop system, TONS of room to spread things out. No more flipping back and forth between windows! :D (One of my biggest gripes about current laptops is the resolutions have generally dropped! WTH?!? I want HIGHER resolution!)

jacob01
March 9th, 2009, 02:39 AM
my current computer was prebuilt but i will build my next one unless i get a really really good deal on something.

MaxIBoy
March 9th, 2009, 02:39 AM
If I could, I'd even build my own laptops.

lavinog
March 9th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I spent under $600 on mine last year and I am still very happy with it.

Chemical Imbalance
March 9th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Building is fun!!

Just ordered some parts off of Tiger Direct and now I'm awaiting their arrival :D

AMD X4 9500 Phenom
ASUS M3N78 PRO mobo
Cooler Master Elite 335 Case
4gb OCZ DDR2 1066mhz RAM
500 watt psu from Apevia
250 gb Seagate
Lite-On DVD drive
+more for only $580 plus shipping

Gonna be a nice machine!

wolfen69
March 9th, 2009, 03:32 AM
There isn't any reason to have a desktop anymore in my world.

i spend alot of time on my desktop, so when i go out, i couldn't care less about being "connected". it's nice to be able to take a break from computing once in a while.

MaxIBoy
March 9th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Somewhat outdated pictures of my rig (not dialup-friendly:) http://corent.proboards42.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=3398 I've put in a new graphics card since then, but otherwise it's the same.

However, ASUS save 0.3¢ per unit by making their AMD clips too short on some of their CPU coolers, so now the CPU socket on that motherboard is broken. I'll be getting a new mobo as soon as I have the money. Too bad, it was a really good one.

There isn't any reason to have a desktop anymore in my world.You aren't a gamer, are you?

wolfen69
March 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM

that's all well and good, but i just don't trust anyone but myself to build a computer. other reasons include:

i know every component intimately, because i picked them out.

i know the job was done right.

the job was done according to how I want it done.

the satisfaction of knowing I did it.

it's generally cheaper to build your own.

it's fun.

price is not even a consideration for me. i would pay more to build my own. that's how much it means to me.

knowing that some hack in a factory threw it together while daydreaming about his girl, would bother me til no end. i trust no one.

MikeTheC
March 9th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I've built several computers for myself over the years, and I've built several for other people as well. I've also taught other people how to build, plus how to select parts, etc. It's something I've always enjoyed.

PurposeOfReason
March 9th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Server/Media Box/Seedbox. Holds 1.75Tb at the moment and growing. It'll be done this spring break (moving my components into it and water cooling etc.) Used for games too if I feel like booting XP.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1029627

Q6600 at 3.6GHz
Nvidia 9600GT
4GB RAM

Them my cube computer. It's around 8" total.

C2Duo at 2.8GHz
Some built in graphics
2 GB RAM
32GB SDD Drive

Pictures in two weeks after I paint it.

Brandon.Viking
March 9th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Definitely build my own, next one will be a little quieter though. I never seem to trust that someone else will put in as much care in component selection and installation as I would on my own machine.
I really like my little brothers Shuttle, I might have to go small-form-factor next time.

:)

lavinog
March 9th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Definitely build my own, next one will be a little quieter though. I never seem to trust that someone else will put in as much care in component selection and installation as I would on my own machine.
I really like my little brothers Shuttle, I might have to go small-form-factor next time.

:)

I had a shuttle, but my Antec mini p180 case is much quieter.
The problem with my shuttle is that I had a nVidia 5700 in it which took up the whole side and reduced the air flow, so the fan had to work a little harder, plus the tiny power supply wasn't enough at some point (it lasted about 3 years though) When the power supply went out, it took my video card out with it. I still haven't replaced the power supply yet...kind of rigged up an external 300w atx power supply in the mean time...eventually that computer will be a server pc.

issih
March 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Shuttle psu's do seem to go pop eventually, mine is on its way out after about 5 years, and I know a few people who have had issues with them. They are cute little boxes though.

cmat
March 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
It's hard to find a nice clean case at custom computer shops. They are all so gaudy with the flashing blue lights and the see though panels. It's far too distracting and unprofessional looking.

humbug01
March 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I just built my own for the first time (though I've replaced motherboards before). I was going to replace parts on my old Dell but they use too many proprietary parts making upgrades very difficult.

I found this web page very helpful as a starting point:

http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/u/BuildaPC.htm

For quiet fans, check reviews at:

www.silentpcreview.com/

I just took it slow and followed helpful advice and it went like a charm...

Steve

aaaantoine
March 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'd rather build my own desktop. Regretably, I don't have that option with laptops.

I don't have a desktop in my lineup at the moment (my "lineup" consisting of my laptop and my wife's laptop). But I found I can purpose-build a box to play WoW for a little more than $300. I could take out the video card (thereby having playable WoW instead of creamy smooth WoW) and save another $60. I could save more money by making other adjustments, but lower cost wouldn't make up for the loss in performance.

will1911a1
March 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I do. Wouldn't do it any other way.

mips
March 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM
It's hard to find a nice clean case at custom computer shops. They are all so gaudy with the flashing blue lights and the see though panels. It's far too distracting and unprofessional looking.

It's not that hard. Just go to the manufacturers site and find a dealer close to you or order online.

Antec and Lian Li has some very nice cases in all respects. I myself have an Antec Sonata case which is very nice looking as well as functional

Chemical Imbalance
March 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM
cmat:
You might like my case then:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4177153&CatId=1842

Cheap, nice-looking, and good air-flow--no bling-bling ;)

sloggerkhan
March 10th, 2009, 04:54 AM

4GB RAM: $40
Phenom X4: $99 - 200
500 GB HD: $60
Optical Drive: $25
Media Card Reader: $10
Case: $30
PSU (300-450 Watts): $40
Decent Mobo: $60
Cost: $385 - $450 depending mostly on which Phenom X4 (as opposed to Phenom II)

Homebuilt from Newegg pwns your HP 'deal' without even choosing the cheapest components.

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I did in the past but not now

humbug01
March 10th, 2009, 05:12 AM
cmat:
You might like my case then:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4177153&CatId=1842

Cheap, nice-looking, and good air-flow--no bling-bling ;)

Dittos. I used this case; it's a good one.

Steve

3rdalbum
March 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I built mine and I've been adding to it over the past year. It's a bit of a crazy monster:

650w Corsair modular PSU (upgraded from an Antec 500w Earthwatts)
Core 2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3GHz (overclocked to 3.6GHz)
Noctua NH-C12P CPU cooler (upgraded from stock Intel cooler)
Asus EN8600GT Silent graphics card (next on my upgrade list!)
4 gb of DDR2 RAM (upgraded from 2 GB)
Two DVD burners and a Blu-ray reader/DVD burner combo drive
A 160gb HDD, 500gb HDD, and 1TB HDD (/, /home and media storage respectively, started off with just the 500gb)
Antec Sonata 2 case
Asus P5K Premium motherboard with more USB ports than I'll ever use, but fewer internal SATA ports. Whaaaat?! Also has wifi.
Thermaltake LED fan (the LEDs change colour, upgraded from Antec 3-speed)
Go-faster penguin on the top

Johnsie
March 11th, 2009, 12:27 PM
There's not much point these days and it's inconvenient. I usually just buy something and then make small adjustments to it. I'm a software architect, not a hardware mechanic.

gn2
March 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
There's not much point these days and it's inconvenient. I usually just buy something and then make small adjustments to it. I'm a software architect, not a hardware mechanic.

There's plenty point. An architect is no use if the building collapses ;)

Dan_Dranath999
March 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Built my desktop 4 years ago (it's starting to feel a little slow now) never liked laptops anyway... need to work with the bigger screen (or two) i can get.

And i'm constantly changing things inside the box. That's preventing the machine getting obsolete.. (that and using linux, of course)

BDNiner
March 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I always build. I don't have any pics at work but will post some as soon as i get home. I am planning on building a small ftp/backup server to connect to my tv soon. Probably going to use a shuttle case.

wolfen69
March 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM

the poll results say otherwise.

Therion
March 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
There's not much point these days and it's inconvenient.
Much like pizza with pineapple on it, building one's own rig is simply one of those things you either "get" or "don't get". Again, like pineapple on pizza.

If you roll your own JUST to save a few bucks then, in my opinion, you're doing it wrong.

Chemical Imbalance
March 11th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Much like pizza with pineapple on it, building one's own rig is simply one of those things you either "get" or "don't get". Again, like pineapple on pizza.

If you roll your own JUST to save a few bucks then, in my opinion, you're doing it wrong.

:KS Agreed.

kk0sse54
March 11th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Never have and probably won't any time soon, considering
1) Don't have the money
2) Looking down the road next computer will probably be a laptop

kuritsubaji
March 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I have always built my own computers ever since I tore apart an old Compaq portable PC (the ones that looked like a sewing machine) and breathed life back into it. Someone had given it up for dead, but after a few minutes, I figured out that video adapter just needed to be reseated. Fired right up after that. What a smokin' system that was. CGA monochrome green graphics, 8088 processor, 1Mb RAM and no HDD. I had to run everything from two 5.25" FDDs. I would use it to type papers for school with WordPerfect 5.0 and had to constantly swap disks to save and use the dictionary. Ah, those were the days....

My most recent build is just a weeeeee bit faster. I just finished it a couple of months ago. It was a serious upgrade on a previous system. Here's the specs:

Intel Core2 Wolfdale E8400 3.0GHz overclocked to 4.2GHz
EVGA nForce 750i MoBo, SLI
BFG ES800 PSU (800W)
4Gb DDR2 RAM
EVGA GeForce 9800GX2, 2GPUs, 1Gb (512Mb per processor)
2 Acer 22" LCD monitors
500 Gb SATA2 HDD
Creative Audigy2 ZS Platinum sound w/ Klipsch THX speakers
DVD+R DL, DVD RW/R combo drive
Antec full tower server case--air cooled

I've attatched some pics. I fabricated the grille(s) in the front for more air flow.

kuritsubaji
March 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM

---

Bernoulli showed us that air flowing through a restriction accellerates.
If you have cables in the way the air will accelerate as it passes around them.
It is the mass of the air which absorbs the heat.
The mass of air entering and leaving the case is what determines cooling efficiency.

Woah, sorry to reply to a slightly stale post, but get yourself a bit more physics in yer head, man. Ever hear of turbulence? Velocity? Not to mention ambient temperature. Why do you think there is such a thing as a 'wind chill' factor?

Air exchange rate can be seriously affected by internal turbulence. Bernoulli's equation pertains to fluid moving through a pipe. Sure, if a pipe is restricted from a larger diameter to a smaller one, velocity increases and pressure increases, but mass flow rate stays the same. You're moving air through a box full of convoluted surfaces, not a pipe. Moreover, a cable within the path of airflow would be an impedence, not a restriction and thus, create turbulence not acceleration. Basic law of physics: every time something, that is travelling at a certain velocity, has to change direction, it loses velocity.

Yes, the mass of the air is absorbing heat, but only relative to the difference in temperature between it and the surfaces it comes in contact with. The point is to get the air in contact with the surface ASAP before it increases in temperature and loses velocity.

Here's an example: I've attached a pic of the inside of my case. Notice the fan in the middle is tilted down? I did originally have it flush like the one above it, but was having issues with the GPU still running at 160deg/F. That's because air was flowing directly across the surface of the air intake for the video board and not into it. The board wasn't getting enough air flow because the air had to change direction. The amount of air that a fan can move still depends on the velocity of the air that is entering the fan. After adjusting the middle fan to direct fresh air into the fan of the video board, I saw my temp drop to 128. More than 30 degrees! Sorry, but myth? Hardly.
That was just one minor adjustment. Imagine the difference if my case was jumbled up with a mess of cables.

gn2
March 11th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Why do you think there is such a thing as a 'wind chill' factor?

Because the body being chilled is in contact with a higher mass of air than if the air is static.

Air exchange rate can be seriously affected by internal turbulence. Bernoulli's equation pertains to fluid moving through a pipe.

True, but what do you suppose makes aircraft fly in air?

Sure, if a pipe is restricted from a larger diameter to a smaller one, velocity increases and pressure increases, but mass flow rate stays the same. You're moving air through a box full of convoluted surfaces, not a pipe.

Effectively it is a pipe. opening at one end exit at the other.
Mass flow rate through pipe determined by size of entry hole and capability of exhaust fan.

Moreover, a cable within the path of airflow would be an impedence, not a restriction and thus, create turbulence not acceleration. Basic law of physics: every time something, that is travelling at a certain velocity, has to change direction, it loses velocity.

Nope, the velocity changes, the mass remains the same.
It is the mass which absorbs the heat by conduction.
What do you think happens to the airflow in a conventional top down CPU cooler?
Air is scattered all over the place and is made turbulent.

Yes, the mass of the air is absorbing heat, but only relative to the difference in temperature between it and the surfaces it comes in contact with. The point is to get the air in contact with the surface ASAP before it increases in temperature and loses velocity.

Here's an example: I've attached a pic of the inside of my case. Notice the fan in the middle is tilted down? I did originally have it flush like the one above it, but was having issues with the GPU still running at 160deg/F. That's because air was flowing directly across the surface of the air intake for the video board and not into it. The board wasn't getting enough air flow because the air had to change direction. The amount of air that a fan can move still depends on the velocity of the air that is entering the fan. After adjusting the middle fan to direct fresh air into the fan of the video board, I saw my temp drop to 128. More than 30 degrees! Sorry, but myth? Hardly.
That was just one minor adjustment.

Does the fan draw a higher mass of air into the case, or just change the direction of the air?
If it's drawing more mass of air in then obviously cooling efficiency will improve.
If it causes more air to enter the branch of the pipe that is the graphics card, without affecting the amount of air drawn through the case overall, then it is reducing the air available that can cool other components and the overall cooling efficiency remains unchanged.

Imagine the difference if my case was jumbled up with a mess of cables.

Go on, jumble the cables up and find out.

jflaker
March 11th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I built EVERY system up to this one. I was just more economical to buy one than to build one. Build would have been around $1K, buy a similar system was $700 and since I needed 3 of them, buying was just the way to go and save $900 + tax

Hated On Mostly
March 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM
It use to be cheaper to build a system buying individual parts through newegg and mwave, but these days it is cheaper to buy a pre-built system through one of the major manufacturers or from 1 or 2 system builders on ebay. Very hard to beat the price/performance ratio from what I have calculated. I would only build a custom system now if I needed very special features (like ultra silent cpu cooling).

For laptops, for the best quality and performance at the best price, Dell Outlet Business laptops are impossible to beat. Especially if you wait for the big coupons that come out on a regular basis.

wolfen69
March 12th, 2009, 02:43 AM
It use to be cheaper to build a system buying individual parts through newegg and mwave, but these days it is cheaper to buy a pre-built system through one of the major manufacturers or from 1 or 2 system builders on ebay.

there's only one thing wrong with your analysis, and it's that they often use inferior power supplies, motherboards, and ram. most of the time, they don't even tell you who makes those parts. and whoever said that the computer they bought for $700 would cost $900 to build, is completely wrong. i would bet money on it. if you want to use inferior parts, buy pre-built. if you want quality and control over things, build.

shoddy ram and power supplies are completely unacceptable. if your ram has errors, you will never get any OS to run right.

how do i know these things? i have my own pc repair business. have a nice day.

ranch hand
March 12th, 2009, 03:26 AM
The biggest somplaint that I have with the box I am running from Dell is the DVDrom. The sucker is buggy. I rarely use it.

I got 2 external memorex drives - CDrom and DVDrom (lightscribe). They both work fine.

Building has always appeared to me to be the better way to go. I am not interested in changing machines until they just don't handle the modern day. Our last computer was custom built for us and lasted 10 years (I had to replace the CDrom). The power supply finally gave up the ghost and cooked the MB.

Cheap parts are not inexpensive. Inexpensive parts do not have to be cheap.

mclovin91
March 12th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Building your own is the way to go for sure

kuritsubaji
March 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Because the body being chilled is in contact with a higher mass of air than if the air is static.

Correct. Like I said, velocity. Oh, and it's volume that matters, not mass.

True, but what do you suppose makes aircraft fly in air?

I'm not sure what your point is here. Bernoulli's principle applies to the dynamics of lift on airplane wings in that the shape of the wing causes the air flowing across the top of the wing to travel faster than the air flowing across the bottom. The air that is travelling at a greater velocity has a reduced pressure relative to the air under the wing, thus creating lift. If you are implying that turbulence creates lift, then you do need to crack open a physics text. Streamlined flow is necessary for lift. By definition, turbulent flow is the opposite of streamline flow.

Effectively it is a pipe. opening at one end exit at the other.
Mass flow rate through pipe determined by size of entry hole and capability of exhaust fan.

Effectively, and mathematically, it's not. It's a box full of holes. If you're still asserting that Bernoulli's principle, as applied to fluid restriction, has anything to do with the air moving in and out of a computer case, then you do need to brush up on your physics. For Bernoulli's equation of continuity to apply, the fluid must be travelling in a tube, nonviscous and incompressable. A computer case is not a tube and air is compressable. Besides, mass flow rate is determined by multiplying the fluid density by the cross-sectional area of the tube and multiplying that by the fluid speed. But, still, we're not pushing water through the case, we're pushing air, so the point is moot.

Nope, the velocity changes, the mass remains the same.

Once again, I'm not sure what your point is here, either. I find it hard to believe that you even know what you are talking about when you refute one of the most basic laws of motion with, 'Nope' and then provide nothing coherent to back up such a ridiculous premise. Let's get one thing clear right now: flow rate of air is actually measured by volume, not mass. Mass flow rate pertains to an incompressable fluid because it's density is constant throughout. Air is a compressable fluid so it's density can vary greatly from one moment to the next. If you look up the specs on a fan, or anything else that moves air, you'll find the flow rate measured in CFM, not kgM.

Another thing you need to get clear on is that air flowing around an object is impeded or obstructed, at best diverted, but rarely ever accelerated. For example, what makes the air flow faster across the top of a wing is not the mere fact that the wing is there and the air is flowing across it, but rather the specific dynamic concurrence of conditions having to do with the direction of airflow, initial velocity of airflow, density of air, drag, surface area of the wing and mass of the plane. If any of these conditions go outside of certain parameters, then you no longer have enough, if any, lift.

For air to be restricted, or to be more specific, constricted, it has to flow through an opening, not around an object. If what you propose were true, that air simply flowing around an object causes the air to increase in velocity, then the wings on an airplane would not need to be shaped a certain way. In fact, any object travelling through the air would produce it's own thrust because the air flowing across it would be increasing in velocity. If that were true, then it would take a heck of a lot less fuel to get a 747 from Miami to Seattle.

It is the mass which absorbs the heat by conduction.

(This is where I wish that there was an emoticon for throwing my hands up in the air.)

Dude. Seriously. I'm sure you could find a used physics text fairly cheap.

Heat is transferred through conduction when two solid objects are in direct contact with each other. When heat is transferred from a solid object to a fluid, it is done so through convection which relies upon proper flow to establish convection currents. See how we keep coming back to flow? See how it might be important?

Does the fan draw a higher mass of air into the case, or just change the direction of the air?
If it's drawing more mass of air in then obviously cooling efficiency will improve.
If it causes more air to enter the branch of the pipe that is the graphics card, without affecting the amount of air drawn through the case overall, then it is reducing the air available that can cool other components and the overall cooling efficiency remains unchanged.

I tried to explain this in clear and simple terms and I thought that I was providing you with a concise , concrete example of how the temperature of a specific component was reduced by more than thirty degrees with just a small re-direction of air flow, but to no avail. I suppose I could try to further explain the finer details of fluids in motion, but it seems that the most basic concepts of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics are escaping your grasp. Okay, one more try: Cooling efficiency does not rely solely on the volume (not mass) of air entering and exiting the case. No matter how much air you push through the case, only a certain amount of that air will be able to pass through the heatsink of each component before it leaves the case. As the air enters the case, the consistency of it's flow is reduced by each surface it comes into contact with resulting in both unsteady and turbulent flow. This causes a number of small currents and eddies that are largely unpredictable. There will even be a certain amount of 'dead space' areas where the air volume will have hardly any exchange at all. The whole point to air cooling is to have air pass through a heat sink at the highest velocity and the lowest temperature. That's exactly how a top-down CPU heatsink (or any other air cooling solution) works: it forces air to flow through the small spaces in the heatsink because, without flow, there would be hardly any convection and the component would have to transfer heat through radiation, which is far less efficient.

I said the fan was already in the case, so there is no difference in volume flow rate. I made an adjustment in the direction of flow, that's all, and it resulted in a very significant (if not dramatic) drop in temperature at that one specific point. To me, and probably most others reading this, that is a clear and undeniable example of how direction and continuity of flow matters more than volume of air exchanged. Oh and, the video card is not a 'branch in the pipe' because the case _is_not_a_PIPE!

Go on, jumble the cables up and find out.

This response is so juvenile that now I'm certain that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Initially, your improper application of Bernoulli's equation of continuity prompted my comment, and now it seems you have dug yourself into an intellectual hole.

Go on, keep digging. I'll be glad to throw you a bigger shovel.

kuritsubaji
March 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
if you want to use inferior parts, buy pre-built. If you want quality and control over things, build.

amen!

gn2
March 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Initially, your improper application of Bernoulli's equation of continuity prompted my comment, and now it seems you have dug yourself into an intellectual hole.

Go on, keep digging. I'll be glad to throw you a bigger shovel.

Keep the shovel, you'll need it.
Thing is, air moves around cables and the cooling is not seriously affected.
OK perhaps my use of terms isn't up to scratch because it's more that 30 years since I studied physics, but I understand the basic principles.
Unless they've changed?

kuritsubaji
March 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Keep the shovel, you'll need it.

Do you have a point to make?

Or, are you destined to spit out pedestrian, nonsensical retorts that further prove your intellectual in-authenticity?

Whatever the case, I'm sure you're next one will be a whopper...

gn2
March 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Do you have a point to make?

Yes. My point is this: jumble up your cables in your PC and record the temperature at various points within it using some measuring device.
Then repeat with the cables tidied up and compare the results.
After you've done that post the results.
Let the facts do the talking.

ezsit
March 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I bought my first Intel-based, pre-built computer in 1994 (a ZEOS 486DX2 50mhz box with a 512 MB hard drive, 4 MB RAM, and CDROM reader) and have built my own ever since selling that dinosaur.

I currently have three AMD Sempron 64-bit single core desktop machines at home and an older Dell. Now the Dell was purchased for use at work as a demonstration unit for computer classes I teach.

I have always enjoyed building my own systems. It is fun, rewarding, and keeps me in control of the parts and the expense. I buy inexpensive parts, am able to swap-out parts easily, repair my own systems, and upgrade incrementally.

Chemical Imbalance
March 12th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Just finished building my new desktop yesterday, and its great!

Asus m3a78 pro mobo
4gb OCZ fatality 1066mhz ram
250gb Seagate Barracuda hdd
Lite-on DVD
Apevia 500W psu
AMD Phenom X4 9500
Building it had just one hiccup (missing some screws)

It runs like butter except for some reason the onboard sound is no longer detected after installation (worked fine in livecd) ???

wolfen69
March 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Just finished building my new desktop yesterday, and its great!

Asus m3a78 pro mobo
4gb OCZ fatality 1066mhz ram
250gb Seagate Barracuda hdd
Lite-on DVD
Apevia 500W psu
AMD Phenom X4 9500
Building it had just one hiccup (missing some screws)

It runs like butter except for some reason the onboard sound is no longer detected after installation (worked fine in livecd) ???

sounds similar to mine. is the mobo upgradeable for an AM3 cpu? also, what video card do you have?

Chemical Imbalance
March 12th, 2009, 07:08 PM
sounds similar to mine. is the mobo upgradeable for an AM3 cpu? also, what video card do you have?

Yes it is AM2+ (AM3 compatible) and I'm running the integrated Nvidia geforce 8300 chipset with the latest drivers from Hardware Drivers.

The sound was working great in the livecd.

Here are the exact specs: http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=639&l4=0&model=2270&modelmenu=1

Chemical Imbalance
March 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I made a new thread for my sound problem here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1094301

EDIT: SOLVED -- fixed in Jaunty developmental

kuritsubaji
March 12th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Thing is, air moves around cables and the cooling is not seriously affected.
OK perhaps my use of terms isn't up to scratch because it's more that 30 years since I studied physics, but I understand the basic principles.
Unless they've changed?

Okay. Listen, friend, Let's reign this little snit in before it fully detracts from the intrinsic value of this thread.

I apologize for being snide, that's no way to conduct an intelligent conversation.

Air flow matters. That's why there is a veritable cornucopia of products available that are specifically designed to direct the flow of air within the case. That's why technicians learn about it in school and it's stressed in technical manuals. Not only to prevent components from reaching a critical temperature and shutting down, but more to ensure that the components last over time. A video board that operates at 130 degrees is going to last longer than a board that operates at 160.

I, too, have studied physics both conceptually and mathematically, and quite a bit more recently than 30 years ago, and I can assure you that your understanding of the subject is not as sound as you think. I still use my physics education every day. In fact, right now I'm in the middle of a research project comparing the environmental, economic and social sustainability of both renewable and non-renewable energy sources. I wouldn't be undertaking such a task if I did not have a solid understanding of the subject of physics.

Here's a litmus for your understanding:

True or false: Centrifugal force exists.

(P.S. I'm not going to waste my time opening up my case and screwing up my cabling job because I already know for a fact that it would make a difference. I originally posted to this thread because I have been building my own and quite a few other people's computers for 20 years and I can tell you from experience that how the air flows through a case makes a significant difference in the rate of heat exchanged, period.)

gn2
March 12th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I apologize for being snide, ~

Apology accepted.

I might pm you.

Danw12
March 14th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Mine cost £300

2.50Ghz Intel Celeron Dual Core CPU
4GB 800Mhz Kingston HyperX RAM
MAXTOR 250GB SATAII HDD
350w PSU (unless it was 450...)
2 Blue Cold-Cathodes
LG DVD RW
Sapphire ATi RADEON HD 3450 GPU
20-in-1 Card reader, e-SATA, Fan Controll & Extra Temprature Sensors

toupeiro
March 14th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Been building my own systems for the last 15 years, no plans on changing now.

I'm planning to start building my Nehalem based system in a few weeks.

PurposeOfReason
March 26th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Here is the cube I've mentioned a few times. It is 9" all directions. There are a few mistakes I make like the motherboard is too far back so the shield can't be put on, and the white stripe is a bit off. Besides that, there are your usual imperfections, but I only had a dremel, drill, and jigsaw so I think it came out pretty well.

For those wondering, it is standing on feet so the desks don't get messed up. That is the one thing I put some time into, making the feet the exact height.

sandy8925
March 29th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Mine cost £300

2.50Ghz Intel Celeron Dual Core CPU
4GB 800Mhz Kingston HyperX RAM
MAXTOR 250GB SATAII HDD
350w PSU (unless it was 450...)
2 Blue Cold-Cathodes
LG DVD RW
Sapphire ATi RADEON HD 3450 GPU
20-in-1 Card reader, e-SATA, Fan Controll & Extra Temprature Sensors

A celeron dual core? I'm horrified. All that nice hardware choked by a celeron ? And definitely check your PSU - 350 may not be enough.

gn2
March 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
A celeron dual core? I'm horrified. All that nice hardware choked by a celeron ? And definitely check your PSU - 350 may not be enough.

Dearie me.

A Celeron Dual-core is an excellent little CPU and will serve it's owner well.

A 350w PSU is plenty, mine's only 330w and I have more demanding hardware.

Most computers never draw more than 200w.

Martje_001
March 29th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Here is the cube I've mentioned a few times. It is 9" all directions. There are a few mistakes I make like the motherboard is too far back so the shield can't be put on, and the white stripe is a bit off. Besides that, there are your usual imperfections, but I only had a dremel, drill, and jigsaw so I think it came out pretty well.

For those wondering, it is standing on feet so the desks don't get messed up. That is the one thing I put some time into, making the feet the exact height.
That looks great! Where do you buy such a system-case?

PurposeOfReason
March 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
That looks great! Where do you buy such a system-case?
You get a used breadbox and you go to town. :popcorn:

gn2
March 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM
You get a used breadbox and you go to town.

Like this (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article42-page1.html)?

PurposeOfReason
March 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Like this (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article42-page1.html)?
Can't argue for the price.

Personally, I used this one (http://www.laurasclassiccollectibles.com/kromex-breadbox.html) from ebay for $20. It was in worse condition, so I painted it.

oasmar1
March 29th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Mine cost me about £250 so far but not yet complete.
So far:
AMD Phenom X3 8650 (with stock HSF)
Asus M2N68-CM Motherboard
4GB Samsung DDR2 RAM
250GB Sata HDD @ 7200RPM
Lian Li V350 Silver case (Amazing Case!! Look: http://www.silverpcs.com/images/pc_v350_s_a.jpg)
Wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse
DVD RW Drive
Cheap PSU

Intend to buy:
ATI HD 4750 when it comes out
Better PSU (Probably a corsair or asus silent PSU)
Scythe Mini Ninja HSF

Should be about £450-£500 when complete.

afm93
March 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I'll try it when I get the money :P probably in a million years :(

Chemical Imbalance
March 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
You can build a cheap pc for under $200 given you already own a monitor.

ubudog
March 29th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I built one once and used it for myth tv but the hard drive was 12 years old and it lost all data on my shows.

ubudog
March 29th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'll try it when I get the money :P probably in a million years :(

Me too.

markp1989
March 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Specs of mine:

cost me about £200 as i already had the case and the HDDs

case : Sunbeam samurai
MB: Asus P5KPL-AM
CPU: Intel E5200 OC to 3.75ghz
RAM: 2 Sticks of Kingston 2gb 800mhz
HD: 160gb 80gb SATA
gfx card: Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS 512mb

havnt got a pic yet, but will post 1 when i do.

mamamia88
March 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM
yeah as soon as i get some cash ill build one

Snort44
March 31st, 2009, 07:38 PM
Don't forget the ground strap.

PurposeOfReason
March 31st, 2009, 08:26 PM
Don't forget the ground strap.
IMO, unless you are working in an unfriendly enviroment, you don't need one. Just make sure you ground yourself to part of the case before you touch anything else. I only ground when I also wear latex gloves. A situation where I need perfection because I'm building to sell.

jchiar
March 31st, 2009, 08:33 PM
I buy or find the hardware then assemble them, if that is homebuilt, then yes, I do.
I like the thrift stores for hardware. It is like recycling. I take this power supply, that fan, that other fan, that really fast fan, that sorta quiet fan, whatever IDE or ribbons that work with the mobo and the other stuff.
I use to build my own HAM radios. PCs are kinda like that, a bit more commercial oriented then any HAM or most HAM stuff is.
I have 4 boxes here now and two working. That is 6 total. When I log off I will work on one or two, maybe make another 'dumb' box for a friend.

kestrel1
March 31st, 2009, 08:38 PM
I purchased my first system back in 1999, but since then have built my own & many systems for others. When I can't afford to buy any parts (most of the time) I get hold of older parts & build them from that. Current system has three HDD's, two DVD/RW's. System board, CPU & GPU were given to me. Got hold of some RAM, an old case & away it went.
Nothing spectacular, but running Ubuntu like a dream. Windows is also on the box, but slowwww so not really used these days, as Linux is far quicker. Should be upgrading a few bits soon though.

Fenris_rising
March 31st, 2009, 10:35 PM
I've just moved my PC's innards into a 'new case'. An ex e-machine case. It beats the beige box I was using though dark brown isn't that great :D But the internal structure is much neater and everything fits in that bit better. I may even cut a window and do some bondo work on the front :biggrin: It was great dismantling everything, dusting and rebuilding it!

regards

Fenris

kestrel1
March 31st, 2009, 10:38 PM
I've just moved my PC's innards into a 'new case'. An ex e-machine case. It beats the beige box I was using though dark brown isn't that great :D But the internal structure is much neater and everything fits in that bit better. I may even cut a window and do some bondo work on the front :biggrin: It was great dismantling everything, dusting and rebuilding it!

regards

Fenris
You certainly get a great sense of achievement when you clean you machine up :-) Well I do or am I just mad ;)

Fenris_rising
March 31st, 2009, 10:42 PM
Oh choking on the dust devils is great fun :biggrin: and you do feel so much better once its all glistening again.

regards

Fenris

kestrel1
April 1st, 2009, 09:24 AM
I think my lungs are full of dust :-)

neilevan814
April 2nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
I just built my first system a couple of months ago. I think I would do that again for a desktop machine. Totally get best quality parts for the best price going this way especially through newegg.com I can't part with my laptop though. I have a tinkered with older server unit, my new built machine for an HTPC, and my laptop. I blend the use of all three together to learn from...networking, programming, linux sys admin and cli use. It's fun.

New system: ASUS M2N68-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Athlon X2 4850e 2.5ghz processor
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM44604659
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb SATA HD 1.5Gb/s (Backup Drive for all systems)
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail44618588
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
LITE-ON 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with Smart Erase Black IDE Model iHAP322-08
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 430W
Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

My total cost including a usb mouse and ps2 keyboard and ethernet cable was 554.87

Oh, I have Vista on one partition in my laptop that is all...and I basically never use it...toooo sloow.

TheSlipstream
April 2nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
I built my own machine. Nothing is quite as personal as using the computer you made with your own hands (but maybe I'm just a nerd).

Internals:
Intel C2D E7300
Asus P5Q-SE
Nvidia GeForce 9600GT
WD Green 640GiB HD
G.Skill 4GiB RAM
LG DVD-RW drive
Coolermaster CAC-T05 case w/ Coolermaster 480W PSU

Peripherals:
Asus 22" monitor (can't remember exact model)
Some random (but reliable and attractive) IBM keyboard
Logitech MX-518 gaming mouse.

Tri-booting
Ubuntu 8.10 x64
Windows XP x86
Windows 7 Beta x64

All for about 1050 Australian dollars...six months earlier and I could have got a beast...ah well, it has yet to disappoint me. :D

spcwingo
April 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
I build my own from friends, family, etc's old used parts. I have build quite a few this way (I haven't paid for a computer since my wife went behind my back and bought one in '03). I've even built a few for family this way...of course the ones I have a hand in all run Ubuntu in one form or another. O:)

markp1989
April 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
I wish there was a way to build your own laptop. if only they would standardize these things .

ranch hand
April 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
I don't use a laptop but I am sure that I saw some kind of "kit" for building one when I was searching for parts for the desktop I want to build (if I can find a job).

ubudog
July 3rd, 2009, 01:58 AM
It would be awesome to build my own computer.

SLEEPER_V
July 3rd, 2009, 04:03 AM
I built.

Asus m2m68vm mobo
Asus 4770 vid card
One 320 gig 7200 wd hd
One 200 gig 5400 wd hd
AMD Kuma 7750 2.7ghz cpu oc'd to 3ghz

lisati
July 3rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
The nearest I've done to "building" my own is install a second DVD burner, some extra RAM and a video capture card on one machine, and replace the modem and sound card on another machine with ethernet and USB cards.

Compucore
July 3rd, 2009, 05:08 AM
I made an upgrade a recent clone that I had over here. Using the following specs that I had either laying around or bought at a computer distribution center.

PC Chips goal 3+
AMD Sempron 64 3000+
2 kingston 1 gigabyte 400
Maxtor 500 gigabyte
Western Digital 160 gigabyte
ATI Radeon x700 pro PCIE 256 megabyte

All running fine with Ubuntu 9.04. I had to disable the built in video card it did not do ubuntu any justice for uuntu. The radeon video card I had gotten from a friend of mine over here and loving it with ubuntu. Makes the games run smoothly on it. I am in a process once again on another computer here that I had gotten from a friend of mine. But I haven't had a chance to examine it I did take a quick peak inside which had a gigabyte motherboard with raid 1/0 on both the IDE and a Sata 896 megs of ram and what looks like a ATI All in Wonder AGP with a tuner built into it and 128 megs of ram on it.

Compucore

Sublime Porte
July 3rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
I used to, but it's just not worth it anymore. I can buy a pre-built system for the same price, and it's easy to specify your own specs with a lot of PC assemblers/retailers now.

My first 5 or 6 PC's were all home made, mostly for cost saving, rather than customisation purposes.

kestrel1
July 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
I used to, but it's just not worth it anymore. I can buy a pre-built system for the same price, and it's easy to specify your own specs with a lot of PC assemblers/retailers now.

My first 5 or 6 PC's were all home made, mostly for cost saving, rather than customisation purposes.
Yes I totally agree with you on that. The price of a pre-built machine is so low these days it is far more cost effective to buy the system.
I still make some machines, but these are normally custom builds.

JohnFH
July 3rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
How many people build their own computers?

At least 16 I'd say, maybe as many as 20. I'm one of them.

khelben1979
July 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
When it comes to my own computers, I always build them myself. That way I get the exact components which I myself feel that I'm interested in.

-jay-
July 3rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
i perfer building mine from scratch & i order from newegg

Swagman
July 3rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Considering your average bloke is a Tinkerer by design, I am amazed that there are any system manufacturers still in business.

It really is so **** easy to build one.

The one golden rule when purchasing components though is..

DON'T penny pinch on the Psu

KegHead
July 3rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hi!

My next computer will be a self made mips monster!!

I' ll never use M$ software again.

KegHead

LifeOnMaths
July 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
Every desktop computer I've ever owned has been self built. You just can't beat the control and flexibility of doing it yourself.

UKBB
July 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
What I built

XFX nForce 680i LT SLI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz Socket 775 OEM Processor
Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024)
COOLER MASTER Elite RC-330-KKR1 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply
Dell UltraSharp 2208FP Monitor
WinXP Pro

If I had it to do all over I would have chosen a better case. The Cooler Master case is just too damn loud.

My Ubuntu pc is my old Dell 4600 and I find myself using it more than the WinXP pc. Some day I'll rebuild the WinXP pc in a new quieter case and put Ubuntu on it.

73ckn797
July 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Put together my first computer in 1993. It was a 486 with a 2.1Gib HDD, 2Mb RAM and 13" CRT monitor. Built 6 since then. It ran at a blazing 66mhz. See signature for current system.

ubudog
July 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Put together my first computer in 1993. It was a 486 with a 2.1Gib HDD, 2Mb RAM and 13" CRT monitor. Built 6 since then. It ran at a blazing 66mhz. See signature for current system.

Wow

MikeTheC
July 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I like building desktops. I've built a few over the years, both for myself and for friends. From time to time I get the itch to build something.

At present my PC is an upgraded eMachines system, with 2GB RAM, 750GB + 250GB HDDs, Athlon 5200+, 500W Thermaltake PSU, and an XFX 9600 GSO graphics card. It runs very well for my purposes.

rs3
July 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
The case is fairly nondescript and the cabling is a bit messy, so I'll skip picture posting, but my main box is:

MSI Neo3 P43 motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
4GB DDR2-800
NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
3 SATA drives (750GB Seagate, 500GB Seagate, 500GB Hitachi)
Corsair 520W PSU

Running Ubuntu 9.04 amd64.

I always prefer to roll my own. I think this is my fifth computer--I have long since lost count. :)