PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] added 30gb hard drive, make it part of the 80 i already have?

sansa dude
March 8th, 2009, 04:05 AM
i just added a 30gb hard drive to my system. it is formated NTFS and i want to add it to the 80 so they both come up as one drive. is this possible? if so how can i do it?

sansa dude
March 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
any ideas? i will also add i switched the format to ext3 and if it is possible i do not want to have to reinstall ubuntu if it can be avoided

darco
March 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I could only think it being setup as a RAID but not sure...you would have to google to see if that option works...Why do you want to set up as 1 drive? You could make the 30 gig drive your /root and /swap drive and the other hdd as your /home.

darco

sansa dude
March 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I could only think it being setup as a RAID but not sure...you would have to google to see if that option works...Why do you want to set up as 1 drive? You could make the 30 gig drive your /root and /swap drive and the other hdd as your /home.

darco

ok you know what, that would be better
do i just boot onto a live CD and just copy the files over? or is it a little more complicated than that?

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
It depends what you want to copy over and where you want to mount that second drive?

sansa dude
March 8th, 2009, 05:47 PM
my 30gb drive is internal same with the 80gb so there is no problem there. would i just copy all the other files over but the home file? and would i have to go some where and tell ubuntu that the home file is in a diffrent place like you do with windows xp?

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
If you want to move your /home over to the second harddrive, you have to boot your machine with Ubuntu LiveCD. Then, look at this guide especially about Using the new partition.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome#usingnew

sansa dude
March 8th, 2009, 05:56 PM
ok so i do this if i want to keep the home folder on the 80gb and put every thing else on the 30gb?

darco
March 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM
the 30 gig drive could be setup like:

/root 10-12 gigs
/swap (depends on your memory size) 256mb-2 gigs

then the rest as more storage...no need to waste it.

darco