PDA

View Full Version : Circle of Friends tattoo

theozzlives
March 8th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I was thinking on getting a tattoo of the "circle of friends" (Ubuntu logo). I was wondering if there are any copywrite infringments involved, and if not, where should I put it?

Polygon
March 8th, 2009, 01:42 AM
how will you feel in 30 years that you got a tattoo based on a logo of a operating system?

theozzlives
March 8th, 2009, 01:44 AM
how will you feel in 30 years that you got a tattoo based on a logo of a operating system?

It's what Ubuntu means, not what it is.

Polygon
March 8th, 2009, 01:47 AM
im not trying to be mean, but try explaining that to a significant other, to your family, to your future employers, to your friends

think this through. While the ubuntu cause is noble, i don't think its THAT important to have it inked onto your body for the rest of your life

COLiNx86
March 8th, 2009, 01:49 AM
i don't think its THAT important to have it inked onto your body for the rest of your life

Not sure if anything is...

xpod
March 8th, 2009, 01:50 AM

I dont have any tattoos myself but if i can still sit down at my operating system in 30 years without dribbling all over it i`ll be one happy bunny.
I might even get a tattoo to celebrate:D

theozzlives
March 8th, 2009, 01:53 AM
im not trying to be mean, but try explaining that to a significant other, to your family, to your future employers, to your friends

think this through. While the ubuntu cause is noble, i don't think its THAT important to have it inked onto your body for the rest of your life

In Oklahoma, tattoos were illegal til they came out with water based ink, now they can be removed. I'm almost 42, divorced and disabled. I don't think I'll make it 30 years.

Redache
March 8th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I was thinking on getting a tattoo of the "circle of friends" (Ubuntu logo). I was wondering if there are any copyright infringments involved, and if not, where should I put it?

As it'd be on your body I really can't see any sane company suing you for copyright infringment for showing your support!. It is a Trademarked logo so it is copyrighted but try e-mailing Canonical to see if they'll allow you to use it, I doubt they'd really say no, they'll probably ask for photo's though!.

I'd say get it on your Arm so the whole world can see that you believe in something that trancends gender and race.

I wouldn't pass judgment on how long you'll live, but within the next 30 years we might find a cure for death ;)

chriskin
March 8th, 2009, 02:07 AM
i have already seen photos of others with the ubuntu logo on them

and the idea is not bad, the logo is both nice for the eye and the mind

even if canonical was not okay with the whole idea, and even if they found out , they wouldn't do anything. no company sues its own followers if it wants to survive.

if you really believe in the idea behind ubuntu and like the logo, go for it. change it to suit you of course as you like. changing colors and/or adding something else to the logo would be better

theozzlives
March 8th, 2009, 02:14 AM
i have already seen photos of others with the ubuntu logo on them

and the idea is not bad, the logo is both nice for the eye and the mind

even if canonical was not okay with the whole idea, and even if they found out , they wouldn't do anything. no company sues its own followers if it wants to survive.

if you really believe in the idea behind ubuntu and like the logo, go for it. change it to suit you of course as you like. changing colors and/or adding something else to the logo would be better

gotta keep the colors if I was to get a tat of the Windows logo, I bet I'd get sued.

bsharp
March 8th, 2009, 02:38 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1063546

Now what do you think? Sleep on it a night or two before you go through with it (also make sure there's no alcohol in your system ;))

If you are absolutely sure, I would make sure to put it somewhere that can be covered up.

chris200x9
March 8th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I'd personally get a tux, it'd look better in my opinion and be more universal as linux as a whole not just ubuntu.

swoll1980
March 8th, 2009, 04:07 AM
This Idea takes OS fanboyism to a whole new extreme! I would say don't do it, for Christ"s sake don't do it!

theozzlives
March 8th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I was thinking of on my wrist where my watch goes. That way when I do professional work, my watch would cover it up.

Grant A.
March 8th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I hope you don't apply for a job at Apple or Microsoft. A Windows developer with an Ubuntu tattoo would look worse than Bill Gates' powerbook.

Telekinesis
March 8th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Tons and tons of people have tattoos of copyrighted material. I'm pretty sure you won't get sued. I wouldn't do it, but that's on you. Literally.

PhoHammer
March 8th, 2009, 05:48 AM

Now what do you think? Sleep on it a night or two before you go through with it (also make sure there's no alcohol in your system ;))

I did it. And I'm absolutely happy that I did. As you say, it's about what ubuntu means, not necessarily all about the OS. Many of my values coincide with those behind the meaning of ubuntu and open source ways.

It's your body, do what you want:D

Attached is an updated picture.

gletob
March 8th, 2009, 05:59 AM
As it'd be on your body I really can't see any sane company suing you for copyright infringment for showing your support!. It is a Trademarked logo so it is copyrighted but try e-mailing Canonical to see if they'll allow you to use it, I doubt they'd really say no, they'll probably ask for photo's though!.

I'd say get it on your Arm so the whole world can see that you believe in something that trancends gender and race.

I wouldn't pass judgment on how long you'll live, but within the next 30 years we might find a cure for death ;)

No thanks.

If your going to get a tatoo get it on your arm and I'm sure Canonical wouldn't mind.

Incense
March 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I was thinking on getting a tattoo of the "circle of friends" (Ubuntu logo). I was wondering if there are any copywrite infringments involved, and if not, where should I put it?

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

I didn't see anything on the above page about tattoos, so I think you're good. Besides that, I don't see them coming after all the ubuntu wallpapers on gnome look, so I think you'd be good. Post some pics if you get it done.

theozzlives
March 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I did it. And I'm absolutely happy that I did. As you say, it's about what ubuntu means, not necessarily all about the OS. Many of my values coincide with those behind the meaning of ubuntu and open source ways.

It's your body, do what you want:D

Attached is an updated picture.

yeak but I want mine in the Ubuntu colors, not greyscale.

theozzlives
March 8th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I hope you don't apply for a job at Apple or Microsoft. A Windows developer with an Ubuntu tattoo would look worse than Bill Gates' powerbook.

I would NEVER work for Microsnot, and I've never even touched the keyboard of a Mac. Although if possible I'd like to put OSX in a VirtualBox just for the heck of it.

theozzlives
March 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I'll include a pic, but it won't be til next month when I get my check.

billgoldberg
March 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM

If you are absolutely sure, I would make sure to put it somewhere that can be covered up.

As you can see from the picture in that thread, it looks horrible.

Don't do it.

ice60
March 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM
http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/07/zune-tattoo-guy.html

lol.

he's on youtube too, i think he's called Mszunefan.
edit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBbOBc-L720

Giant Speck
March 8th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I simply don't understand why you'd want a logo tattooed on your body. But then again, it's your body, and there's really nothing anyone here can tell you that should influence your decision.

bryncoles
March 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM
no company sues its own followers if it wants to survive.

...the music industry?

PhoHammer
March 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
yeak but I want mine in the Ubuntu colors, not greyscale.

It's actually xubuntu colors, based on this picture here: http://magnatecha.com/tat.png.
I took that with my cell phone, which explains the low quality/odd positioning.

Edit: they're close to greyscale, but not quite :)

theozzlives
March 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Ubuntu is a South African ethical ideology focusing on
people's allegiances and relations with each other. The
word comes from the Zulu and Xhosa languages. Ubuntu
(pronounced "oo-BOON-too") is seen as a
traditional African concept, is regarded as one of the
founding principles of the new republic of South Africa
and is connected to the idea of an African Renaissance.

A rough translation of the principle of Ubuntu is
"humanity towards others". Another
translation could be: "the belief in a
universal bond of sharing that connects all
humanity".

"A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed."

Archbishop Desmond Tutu

PhoHammer
March 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Ubuntu is a South African ethical ideology focusing on
people's allegiances and relations with each other. The
word comes from the Zulu and Xhosa languages. Ubuntu
(pronounced "oo-BOON-too") is seen as a
traditional African concept, is regarded as one of the
founding principles of the new republic of South Africa
and is connected to the idea of an African Renaissance.

A rough translation of the principle of Ubuntu is
"humanity towards others". Another
translation could be: "the belief in a
universal bond of sharing that connects all
humanity".

"A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed."

Archbishop Desmond Tutu

And that is 80% of the reasons why I got my tattoo.

20%- I also love computers...

Polygon
March 9th, 2009, 01:52 AM
yes, thats all well and good, but its about how people are going to be interpreting your tattoo, as thats WHY you are getting a tattoo

for example, if i got a tattoo of the buddhist good luck symbol (like a swastika, only backwards), everyone would think i'm a nazi, even if i try to explain it.

red_Marvin
March 9th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Having the spirit of ubuntu as the base and reason for a tatoo is nice, but note that the logo is a representation of the company ubuntu rather than the ubutu spirit.
If you know that, and still want to go ahead, go ahead. Nobody has the right stop you, except copyright holders.

chucky chuckaluck
March 9th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I'll include a pic, but it won't be til next month when I get my check.

why don't you tattoo the amount you get paid instead? it'll mean something for longer. even if you really are this giddy about ubuntu in the long run, aren't there more meaningful contributions you could make than permanently scarring yourself with the logo?

edit: i've got it! wait five years. if you still want it, get it then.

PhoHammer
March 9th, 2009, 04:01 AM
why don't you tattoo the amount you get paid instead? it'll mean something for longer. even if you really are this giddy about ubuntu in the long run, aren't there more meaningful contributions you could make than permanently scarring yourself with the logo?

edit: i've got it! wait five years. if you still want it, get it then.

I'm not sure if everyone sees it as "permanently scarring"...

chucky chuckaluck
March 9th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I'm not sure if everyone sees it as "permanently scarring"...

i guess there are better ways of getting it removed being developed as we speak.

missbliss
March 9th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I personally like the logo as art. I do think it's a bit weird to get a logo as a tat, though.

But, to each their own.

And to those who say wait 5 years, what's the point? A tattoo is a represantion of who you are at that time in your life. In five years you might be heavily involved in something else. Then get a tat to commemorate how much that means to you. So on and so on.... :-)

It really boils down to whether you really want a tattoo. I got a stupid Kanji tattoo on my ankle about 6 years ago and I literally picked it off the wall at a tattoo shop that's not even there anymore and have never regretted it for one second.

I realize it's a dumb tat, but it means something to me. And I can't wait to get some more tats when I have the money.

Just my .02 cents. My only advice: Don't get it too big or in a too visible place and get it done by a good artist.

Faolan84
March 9th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I have a friend of mine who is a fellow neopagan and motor-biker who has a tattoo of Cernunnos, but replaced the erect phallus with a kickstand.

If you're going to get a tat, make sure it's something that in 20 to 30 years is going to have a good story behind it.

blueshiftoverwatch
March 9th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I was wondering if there are any copywrite infringments involved, and if not, where should I put it?
Tons of women have gotten the Playboy bunny logo tattooed on them and I've yet to hear of getting sued over it.

theozzlives
March 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
yes, thats all well and good, but its about how people are going to be interpreting your tattoo, as thats WHY you are getting a tattoo

for example, if i got a tattoo of the buddhist good luck symbol (like a swastika, only backwards), everyone would think i'm a nazi, even if i try to explain it.

Great Ubuntu is a bunch of Nazis now, geeze!

theozzlives
March 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I already have one tat that was a jail tat fixed:

drascus
March 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM
now that's dedication!! lol. umm you could always ask Canonical but I don't think that if you get it tatood they could sue you. I mean how would that judgement work? what they make you get it removed? I see people with cartoon characters all the time and they don't seem to have any trouble and those things are copyrighted.

theozzlives
March 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
now that's dedication!! lol. umm you could always ask Canonical but I don't think that if you get it tatood they could sue you. I mean how would that judgement work? what they make you get it removed? I see people with cartoon characters all the time and they don't seem to have any trouble and those things are copyrighted.

I don't even know how to get a hold of Canonical. They could sue for punitive damages.

theozzlives
March 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I was thinking something like this only without the red background:

theozzlives
March 17th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Well here it is, got to go back in 3 days and put more white on Tux.