PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting aMSN 97.2 on Ubuntu

PaulTR
March 7th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Warning: Linux Newbie :D

I was using the aMSN that installs with sudo apt-get install amsn, and I couldn't get the webcam to work, so I googled around to find an answer and I figure I need to switch over to the 97.2 version, but I'm having a Hell of a time trying to figure out how to get to it. I tried downloading the version for Linux but have no idea how to install it, and I was reading around and things are saying to unpack and some other stuff and I haven't a clue what that means <.< Just wondering if someone can give me a step by step so I can get through this when I have this problem later on with other programs. Thanks.

Partyboi2
March 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM
What version of Ubuntu are you using?

PaulTR
March 7th, 2009, 11:58 PM
8.04 hardy

Partyboi2
March 8th, 2009, 12:16 AM
You can upgrade to 97.2 by enabling your backports in Software Sources (System>Admin>Software Sources) and on the "Updates" tab tick the box for backports. Then close Software Sources and upgrade amsn by opening Synaptic (System>Admin>Synaptic Package Manager) and searching for amsn and right click on it and select mark for upgrade. After the upgrade you can disable backports if you wish.