PDA

View Full Version : Dreamlinux

Warpnow
March 7th, 2009, 11:38 PM
...has got to be the most polished distribution I've ever used. Everything is just so easy it startles me. It looks nice out of the box, has easy access to the most desired programs...

It seems like it should be better known.

Just thought I'd voice my amazement.

cmay
March 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
i also like dreamlinux but i tried to install it once on a usb stick. i almost never got my usb stick working again since it sort of corrupted it. i tried to install it on a regular harddisk whic i do not have anymore for the same reason. but i still think its good looking distro and if it did not corrupt my drives i would like to have it on a usb stick .

swoll1980
March 7th, 2009, 11:43 PM
...has got to be the most polished distribution I've ever used. Everything is just so easy it startles me. It looks nice out of the box, has easy access to the most desired programs...

It seems like it should be better known.

Just thought I'd voice my amazement.

Not that polished, for one thing you can't place a folder on the bottom half of the desktop that drove me nuts

Naiki Muliaina
March 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Its fairly well known, it has been in the top 10 / 20 of distrowatch for a while now. Out of the thick of it from christ knows how many distros thats good.

Though for XFCE i still prefer Xubuntu, Mint XFCE, and Zenwalk, none of which ever seem higher than Dreamlinux....

hansdown
March 8th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Dreamlinux and linux mint are good distros if you want all the codecs, etc.

already installed, but I really enjoy playing with ubuntu. It helps me learn

about my system.

Naiki Muliaina
March 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I liked the looks and feel of Mint XFCE. Hated the standard Gnome mint, but loved XFCE edition. The XFCE settings menu in mint was a nice addition. It made it feel more like a proper desktop.

hotweiss
March 8th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I liked the looks and feel of Mint XFCE. Hated the standard Gnome mint, but loved XFCE edition. The XFCE settings menu in mint was a nice addition. It made it feel more like a proper desktop.

What reason would I have to move to XFCE from Gnome? Minus, the less memory and CPU usage argument...

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 08:19 AM
if dreamlinux was that good, i'd be using it in my day to day business. i know dreamlinux, and choose not to use it. ubuntu is better.

Naiki Muliaina
March 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM
What reason would I have to move to XFCE from Gnome? Minus, the less memory and CPU usage argument...

Personal preference for me. If you want try something different maybe aswell. Mint Gnome felt very clunky to me, pretty but clunky. Mint XFCE felt more nippy, elegant, and it had the XFCE mouse.

A lot of the time now though, on Xubuntu and Mints main installs they use nearly as much as Gnome. 192mb from Xubuntu and Mint XFCE against 258mb from Ubuntu and Mint Gnome. Kinda negligible isn't it? Its different when you do things via minimal installs. Zenwalk runs at about 128mb btw.

binbash
March 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
ubuntu is way better than dreamlinux.

handy
March 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I used it for approx' a couple of months couple of years ago.

It was interesting, twice I've tried to look at it on the same machine that the older version ran on, & both times it fails early in the boot process.

I wasn't so curious as to spend the time finding a way around the problem.

chucky chuckaluck
March 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
i like some of their icons.