PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] partial upgrade does not work

garble
March 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
For the last week or two, the update manager has been nagging me to do a partial upgrade because not all packages can be installed. I tried doing a partial upgrade, but right after it starts (on the "preparing upgrade" step), the window disappears. I went to the terminal and ran "sudo update-manager -d", tried the partial upgrade again, and here's the output after the window disappeared:

ERROR:root:not handled expection:
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 89, in <module>
controler.doPartialUpgrade()

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeController.py", line 1468, in doPartialUpgrade
if not self.doPostInitialUpdate():

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeController.py", line 608, in doPostInitialUpdate
self.quirks.run("PostInitialUpdate")

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeQuirks.py", line 66, in run
func()

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeQuirks.py", line 135, in intrepidPostInitialUpdate
not self._supportInModaliases("fglrx")):

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeQuirks.py", line 89, in _supportInModaliases
for filename in os.listdir(modaliasesdir):

OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: './modaliases'

ERROR:root:failed to import apport python module, can't report bug: No module named python_hook

Does anyone know how to fix this? Also, after running "sudo update-manage r -d", it says "New distribution release '9.04' is available." Should I upgrade? Will the failure of the partial upgrade affect it? Will anything bad happen if I just keep ignoring it?

cariboo
March 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Never do a partial upgrade, unless you are willing to repair unmet dependencies.

I would suggest staying with your current version, until Jaunty at least goes into Beta, there are quite a few things that could possibly break your installation.

To fix your existing problem, open a Applications-->Accessoreis-->Terminal and type:

sudo apt-get -f install

and

sudo apt-get autoremove

The first command will install any missing dependencies if they are a available, and the second command will remove any uneeded dependencies. Then run:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Jim

garble
March 8th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Thank you very much! You've been a big help.

jakethecake
April 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I don't know if you waited this one out, but does creating a modaliases directory fix this issue for you?

sudo mkdir /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/DistUpgrade/modaliases/
sudo update-manager --dist-upgrade

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/335416

NacIK
April 24th, 2009, 02:28 AM
All I did was sudo mkdir ./plugins Worked perfectly!!!

Paer86
April 24th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I have the same problem, but not sure what to do. What do you mean with "sudo mkdir ./plugins" I'm kind of new to Ubuntu and Linux.

Or should I do:
sudo apt-get -f install

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

bayvista
April 28th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Many thanks for this. It solved my problem. Suggest you add a note that it involves a system rebuild and can take an hour or longer depending on your broadband.

Great work