PDA

View Full Version : The day Linux overtakes Windows?

DannyP87
March 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Do you think there will ever be a day?

I'm just getting started with Linux/Ubuntu and I'm quite amazed by the sheer size of the Ubuntu community. Linux aside when I also looked at Open Office I was undoubtedly impressed with it's capability compared to office.

It's something I've kind of thought about doing for a while but never had the balls to do it. Until recently.

Obviously with anything knew it takes getting used to and problems will arise but do you ever think major governments and worldwide companies will switch to Linux other than their servers. I'm aware this probably happens in a minority, but I mean to the point were literally the majority of desktop computers whether private, commercial or government actually run a Linux based computer.

cptrohn
March 7th, 2009, 09:45 PM

I'm just getting started with Linux/Ubuntu and I'm quite amazed by the sheer size of the Ubuntu community. Linux aside when I also looked at Open Office I was undoubtedly impressed with it's capability compared to office.

It's something I've kind of thought about doing for a while but never had the balls to do it. Until recently.

Obviously with anything knew it takes getting used to and problems will arise but do you ever think major governments and worldwide companies will switch to Linux other than their servers. I'm aware this probably happens in a minority, but I mean to the point were literally the majority of desktop computers whether private, commercial or government actually run a Linux based computer.

From what I have read the US DOD has already switched to Linux, and in my home state all of the school systems are switching to Linux as well... hard to beat free.

davec64
March 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I'd heard of several governments around the world using linux, so I thought I would google it and see if I could find a list. Here it is, quite interesting!

http://www.linux.org/info/linux_govt.html

jocheem67
March 7th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Server-wise linux is okay....on the desktop it's still hard to beat Windows....after all win7 to come is pretty good I think.
However I also think that linux on the desktop will continue to grow....in 100 years it'll have 5% market-share;)

kg4tah
March 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Well from the current trend with the banking industry and the auto industry, and a lot of small business' going belly flop up, I see microsoft going bankrupt within the next 10 to 15 years. Someone save this post so I can be given the credit for saying it first, LOL.

Yashiro
March 7th, 2009, 10:49 PM
No.

kaldor
March 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I highly doubt that Linux will overtake Windows if it keeps going like it is now.

If Canonical started to get businesses to start building Ubuntu software, computers, etc, it could become more known. But using various FOSS software to make up an OS is not going to take over the market.

Skripka
March 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Haven't we already met our quota of these threads for the last week?

kaldor
March 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
...and in my home state all of the school systems are switching to Linux as well... hard to beat free.

Sorry to double post!

I was just thinking... when I was in computer labs at school, we always used really crappy computers that were slow, poorly maintained, etc. I think this could in ways be bad for Linux; kids at school may look at Linux as a free welfare OS for poor schools who cannot afford Windows.

xpod
March 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Not something i put much thought into and in fact not something i even care about.We use it and we`re happy...thats all that matters to me.

will1911a1
March 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
not something i put much thought into and in fact not something i even care about.we use it and we`re happy...thats all that matters to me.

+1

Bölvağur
March 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.linux.org/info/linux_govt.html

This website is outdated. There are migrations to linux that will make this look rather small.

China is again beginning to strengthen RedFlag.
The Russian education system has it's own distro.
The biggest indian political party is going to adapt and make gui facelift of many foss programs,
this year cuba announced that they where going to make their own distro
and vietnam is switching all servers to linux and going to use floss only for desktops.

This list looks very communist like and the mandatory usage of foss looks fascistic (just like the western school system that demand using ms products only). But in the end we are the ones that gain from this, more users = more attention to us ^^.

HammerOfDoubt
March 7th, 2009, 11:11 PM

I hope not.

/blashpemy

I-75
March 7th, 2009, 11:16 PM
This website is outdated. There are migrations to linux that will make this look rather small.

China is again beginning to strengthen RedFlag.
The Russian education system has it's own distro.
The biggest indian political party is going to adapt and make gui facelift of many foss programs,
this year cuba announced that they where going to make their own distro
and vietnam is switching all servers to linux and going to use floss only for desktops.

This list looks very communist like and the mandatory usage of foss looks fascistic (just like the western school system that demand using ms products only). But in the end we are the ones that gain from this, more users = more attention to us ^^.

Russia has open source mandates in all regions. This also means open source and Linux must be used unless the school or school district wants to pay for the proprietary software themselves.

I-75
March 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM

On the server side, yes...and it already probably has in key areas. Desktop...I doubt it.

Most websites and search engines like Google use Linux. Wiki uses Ubuntu servers.

elliotn
March 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Honestly linux is not user friendly and in order to take Microsoft on... it has to be lighter and affordable, yes I know you will say 'uhh but its free' yes it is free but considering that you will need good internet and good internet in countries like ours is expensive. While on Windows you can just get the softwares from a friend who got it from a friend etc from Cape to Nelspruit to Maputo without giving a dmmmmnn about the licence blah blah. While in i.e Ubuntu not all softwares are in debs and if it is its old, the source....its pain in **** to install from them, why? U may ask...I mean when u do u get errors, cannot install as glib,gtk etc is not install. see even if u go grab a source of glib,gtk u will still encounter the same pain, while with Ms Windows a dude in an outskit of Pienaar which has no land line, who actually never heard of a word internet can have the latest updated softwares, maybe not most latest, using the previous mentioned mentod. Huh yes Linux is free but is free best,I mean if I can give a rural kid who neva heard of a pc I give him Xp and Linux which one will he find his out quick?

Linux isnt user friendly, maybe linux targets the rich mmm for that it wont overtake Microsoft, as u can find Ms even on deep jungle with no eletricity, that is something Linux must work on.

erebus314
March 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM
It could well be a Thursday. Linux or something like it will almost certainly have a larger market share than Microsoft. I can't see Microsoft lasting forever, especially with its current business model. It actually makes more sense to my mind that large companies and government departments use a linux distribution as the customization suits them.

The English NHS is a brilliantly bad example of this. The NHS have a contact with Microsoft, so they have to use their software. This is a really bad deal for them as they need a system not just capable of supporting sophisticated made for the job software, but a system that can be readily and cheaply upgraded on a last scale. Microsoft is not the answer to that. It is just a shame nobody noticed that before they signed the contract.