PDA

View Full Version : Announcing FutureLooks "meta-distribution" (Need new name too!)

Mazza558
March 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Remember Futurelooks, that desktop pack I started, released 2 versions and then neglected, despite promising a version 3?

Well, after much thought, I've decided to introduce a new FutureLooks - but this is different. I am no longer concerned about just aesthetics - the current combo of themes I have is perfectly functional and still looks great

What I'd like to do is create a "meta-distribution" - that's the best way I can describe it. What I mean by this is a set of applications which really expand on the Ubuntu experience when combined. Banshee, Thunar, Gnome-do 0.8, transparent panels, custom compiz settings, Liberation/DeJaVu fonts, etc. The difference is that all these will (with the help of a script) all be applied automatically, so that when one logs off and on again, they'll have everything set up for them. There's so many great programs but I don't think any single distribution has done it right so far.

This automation is what will set "Futurelooks 3" (if that's what you want to call it) apart from the crowd. It'll be Ubuntu at its core, but FutureLooks-style. In an ideal situation, users can install Ubuntu Jaunty, get networked and get 3D drivers, then run the script, return 30 minutes later to a sleek, modern and even more functional desktop.

Why not just start a new distro?

Several reasons:
- Ubuntu at its core is pretty decent - IMO it's the surface layers, choice of visual style and applications which cripple it a bit.

- Starting from scratch is unnecessary for something which isn't nearly on the same scale of change as a full distribution. It'd take too long to develop, and bring few benefits for the time and effort put in.

- It's far more convenient for users to download a 30kb script which downloads everything needed and configures everything, than having to install an entirely new distribution. Ask yourself whether you'd rather do the latter :P

Can I help?

Yes! Please do! Please use this thread to share ideas, contribute bits of scripting (when development begins) and generally ask questions. I want this to be completely open - join in if you're interested. Also, I don't think "Futurelooks meta-distribution" is a particularly catchy name, so feel free to propose/debate new ones.

Now, I have not established anything concrete yet - this is all in my head apart from the core theme and the start of a script. This'll all come in time, and provided enough people jump on board.

Naiki Muliaina
March 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Thats an interesting way of doing it ^^ Via scripts rather than a distro download ^^ Very good, i like it ^^

Mazza558
March 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Thats an interesting way of doing it ^^ Via scripts rather than a distro download ^^ Very good, i like it ^^

Yeah, I think it makes sense for something which will be focusing on the user experience only, rather than user experience + the underlying system, which is what a full distro aims to do.

billgoldberg
March 7th, 2009, 08:06 PM
It would be a good idea if you have the option while running the script to leave certain things untouched.

Some people would prefer to keep using Nautilus instead of Thunar for it's ssh, ftp, ... support for example.

Mazza558
March 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM
It would be a good idea if you have the option while running the script to leave certain things untouched.

Some people would prefer to keep using Nautilus instead of Thunar for it's ssh, ftp, ... support for example.

Yeah. I will probably add options - so you can go complete - which uninstalls ubuntu defaults etc, or at the other end, minimal, which installs theme files but doesn't set them up.

Mazza558
April 26th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Just posted this in April Desktop thread.

I think I've by and large got the theme finalised now. Maybe a slight change in colour for clearlooks itself.

Would people actually use a sound theme?

EDIT: Forgot about the gdm theme!

Phreaker
April 26th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Looks pretty decent

wipeout140
April 26th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Looks great :)

Can't want to try it out.

Mazza558
April 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
One problem I currently have is how to change gconf settings for people who have already made customisations themselves. I don't want a situation where people have a strange hybrid between their old theme(s) and any changes made by my script.

Mazza558
April 26th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Here's a better screenshot, from my laptop.