PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] ubuntu studio 8.1 text only?

colint1
March 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
i just installed ubuntu studio right, but i didnt install it from a live cd,

(i didnt go into a live cd version of ubuntu studio then clicked install ,like other ubuntu versions before)

but now im surprised to see when i turn my computer on it says the regular stuff then it asks me to login, all in text then password then it just gives me the same interface im used to seeing in a ubuntu terminal or something.

so the real question is: is ubuntu studio text only? (seem stupid)
and if not, any advice on how to fix?

fminmexico
March 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM
i just installed ubuntu studio right, but i didnt install it from a live cd,

(i didnt go into a live cd version of ubuntu studio then clicked install ,like other ubuntu versions before)

but now im surprised to see when i turn my computer on it says the regular stuff then it asks me to login, all in text then password then it just gives me the same interface im used to seeing in a ubuntu terminal or something.

so the real question is: is ubuntu studio text only? (seem stupid)
and if not, any advice on how to fix?

I just installed from alternet cd and have same problem,how do you switch to graphical log in when it loads in text.
fminmexico

kestrel1
March 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
To start the X server type the following after you login
startx

fminmexico
March 7th, 2009, 07:40 PM
To start the X server type the following after you login
startx

tried that got bash command not found.
fminmexico

kellemes
March 7th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Do you have different options to choose from at boot?
Like a different kernel? If so, try the one down from the top.

kestrel1
March 7th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Not sure if this will do anything, probably not but you could try.
What do you get if you press CTRL, ALT & F7 at the same time?
This normally switches to the graphical screen if it is running.

fminmexico
March 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Do you have different options to choose from at boot?
Like a different kernel? If so, try the one down from the top.

I have 2 other options tried both same result.
fminmexico.

jespdj
March 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Note that it is Ubuntu 8.10, not 8.1.

The version number indicates the year and month it was released: 8 = 2008, 10 = October. The next version of Ubuntu will be released in April this year and will therefore be numbered 9.04.

mdharp
March 18th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Same problem here. No desktop !! Tried all options on this thread, & it did download some packages for xinit but still no response to startx command, & no change after Cntrl>Alt>F7.
This Ubuntu Studio is looking like a bad joke ! I've lost countless hours trying to get amd & i386, 8.04.1 versions going. Could have gone busking & bought a good PC for the same effort.:(

mdharp
March 18th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Just got some further tips from another "attempting" UbStudio user -
"..that happened here with studio 904 i386, so I chose the recovery kernel
in GRUB, booted to command line with networking,
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get install'ed a couple video packages, rebooted, and it worked."

maybe 9.04 beta is a better option ?
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/9.04/alpha-6/

Hope this helps. Let me know (private message) if it works for you.

daniel_gv93
March 19th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I have the same problem! please post here if anyone knows how to solve it... or how to uninstall it in the worst case :S

mdharp
March 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Still nothing here. No "official" UbuntuStudio support, as far as I'm aware, yet. I've gone back to Hardy install, with no RT kernel, as I tried installing RT kernel on Hardy 8.04 & it lost the desktop AGAIN *&%$#@!!!

I'm starting to think this whole Linux thing is "programmers only" territory, despite the well meant offers of help & advice on forums & elsewhere. If the programs being developed are for media production, then they hopefully should be useable by media producers with a bit of perseverance & patience while learning the ropes. But I'm into this for about 2 weeks of wasted time & effort, copious notes taken from forum threads with a (hopefully) careful & methodical application of what I've learnt, with still no solid response, & still no solid audio / media system running.

Good luck !!

fminmexico
March 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Same problem here. No desktop !! Tried all options on this thread, & it did download some packages for xinit but still no response to startx command, & no change after Cntrl>Alt>F7.
This Ubuntu Studio is looking like a bad joke ! I've lost countless hours trying to get amd & i386, 8.04.1 versions going. Could have gone busking & bought a good PC for the same effort.:(

When you install Studio there is a screen where you have to use the space bar to choose what to install,make sure that you have the desktop install marked with the space bar.
fminmexico.

mdharp
March 27th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Hi Fminmexico.
When installing, it gets to "select & install software" list, showing Audio apps, video apps, Studio desktop & I think another one or two I can't remember.
It says you can select either one, two etc or all apps listed, but there is no "Install All" option. So I check first box on list, then allow it to complete installation, then before rebooting, I use "Go Back" option to "Select & Install" & select the next in list, & repeat this process until all checked apps are installed. Then I allow it to reboot & (hopefully) run as new install of Ubuntu Studio.
This has never worked. Tried numerous times.:confused:

fminmexico
March 28th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Hi Fminmexico.
When installing, it gets to "select & install software" list, showing Audio apps, video apps, Studio desktop & I think another one or two I can't remember.
It says you can select either one, two etc or all apps listed, but there is no "Install All" option. So I check first box on list, then allow it to complete installation, then before rebooting, I use "Go Back" option to "Select & Install" & select the next in list, & repeat this process until all checked apps are installed. Then I allow it to reboot & (hopefully) run as new install of Ubuntu Studio.
This has never worked. Tried numerous times.:confused:

When you come to this window use the space bar to x the first,use the arrow down then space bar for second etc.etc.
fminmexico.