PDA

View Full Version : Intellectual snobbery - how do you avoid it?

Mazza558
March 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
For quite a lot of people in this forum, they have a detailed knowledge of how computers function, both at the software and hardware level - this is bound to be the case, given the nature of the forum. I think this gives some people a tendency to talk over the heads of everyone who isn't quite as knowledgeable - seemingly talking in a different language when going into detail.

How do you avoid "talking over people's heads"?

matthew
March 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
It takes a conscious choice and lots of attention while writing.

This is precisely why we created the Absolute Beginners area, to remind people helping that those asking questions there need things broken down as simply as possible. In other locations, it is safer to presume some level of knowledge as a base, and follow-up questions are generally dealt with quite well by our community.

We have worked very hard from the beginning to make this a community that is extremely friendly to newcomers. I don't see much snobbery in terms of attitude--we even forbid the worst forms of it in the CoC. For the other parts, like unintentionally talking over someone's head, are things that can be corrected in follow-up questions or by paying extra attention in locations like Absolute Beginners.

Naiki Muliaina
March 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I do not see it much in the newbie help place here where it matters. I also do not see the 'your an idiot cause you cant do x y z' like i have on another Linux forum here.

Any other cases of talking over peoples heads i am sure is unintentional on these forums.

mips
March 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM
How do you avoid "talking over people's heads"?

It's hard to do is all I know.

As for the title I would not call it snobbery.

MikeTheC
March 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM
The Concise Oxford Dictionary, Ninth Edition: Page 1316

snob / snɒb / n. 1 a a person with an exaggerated respect for social position or wealth and who despises people considered socially inferior. b a person who seeks to cultivate people considered socially superior. c (attrib.) related to or characteristic of these attitudes. 2 a person who despises others whose (usu. specified) tastes or attainments are considered inferior (an intellectual snob; a wine snob). □ snobbery n. (pl. -ies). snobbish adj. snobbishly adv. snobbishness n. snobby adj. (snobbier, snobbiest). [18th c. (no dialect) 'cobbler': origin unknown]

In looking also at other -- online -- sources, they are all in concurrent agreement with this definition.

"Talking over others' heads" is not sufficient to qualify as being snobbish. Treating others as being retarded or otherwise inferior simply on the basis that their knowledge level is less (real or perceived) would, in my opinion, serve as the basis for a test for qualifications.

Frequently I find my own knowledge level to be far above other people's. I view that as an opportunity to help them "come up to" my level so we can enjoy the status of being equals instead of a relationship of "superior" to "inferior".

K7522
March 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I find that when it comes to working with a genere like this it's something that's learned by doing. When I explain things I just think of the simplest way, and as much detail as possible. If it's not understood, just think of another possibly simpler way to define it. It's not that they're stupid, or you're being snobbish, they just don't know (yet). So learn them!

Just my $0.02.

xpod
March 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I view that as an opportunity to help them "come up to" my level so we can enjoy the status of being equals instead of a relationship of "superior" to "inferior".

So it`s not just the exuberance of your own verbosity thats gets you sooo inebriated i see?Sorry if that offends but i`ve watched you put people down purely because their grammar and language skills are not up to your own meticulous standards and now you come out with something as outrageous as the comment above?

With all due respect you really need to remove your head from your own backside.

kidux
March 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I remember that I do not know everything, nor can I ever. I also fully believe that no matter how smart you are, there is always going to be someone smarter.

Excedio
March 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
In my case....

I want people to talk over my head. Why you ask? I'm the kind of person that will not allow something that goes over my head to go "un-researched."

I have no idea if that's actually a word or not...but hey, it fits! :D

I am the kind of person that if someone tells me something that I don't fully understand, I will find a way to understand it.

Ask more questions...
Google it...

The people that I ask for help from within these walls have been an enormous help to me. And the more someone "talk's over my head," the less someone will be able to talk over my head.

$.02

matthew
March 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Frequently I find my own knowledge level to be far above other people's. I view that as an opportunity to help them "come up to" my level so we can enjoy the status of being equals instead of a relationship of "superior" to "inferior".
That came across quite poorly, as if you were saying that you like to stoop down and help up the poor, downtrodden, ignorant masses. We don't tend to encourage that sort of attitude around here.

So it`s not just the exuberance of your own verbosity thats gets you sooo inebriated i see?Sorry if that offends but i`ve watched you put people down purely because their grammar and language skills are not up to your own meticulous standards and now you come out with something as outrageous as the comment above?

With all due respect you really need to remove your head from your own backside.
This was not the best way to deal with the issue. We don't tend to encourage this sort of confrontation either.

Thanks for listening, all.

xpod
March 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
This was not the best way to deal with the issue. We don't tend to encourage this sort of confrontation either.

Thanks for listening, all.

I know.
My apologies to MikeTheC...,and any others offended.

hyperdude111
March 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Lol You must hate that guy.

bashveank
March 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I keep in mind that 98% of what I know is irrelevant - the only thing that matters in the end is if something works or not.

matthew
March 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I know.
I appreciate that. Thank you.

xpod
March 7th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Lol You must hate that guy.

Not at all,i dont even know the guy...other than what i`ve seen him post.
Besides,i dont actually "hate" anybody.I shed that burden a long time ago.

MikeTheC
March 7th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I know.

Oh, no problem, xpod. We're cool. In the future, I'll try to bear in mind what you've said and ensure my efforts are made more gentle or (where appropriate) humorous.

matthew
March 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Thank you both. I would like to remind everyone that tone is not always well conveyed in text, and that tensions may rise quite easily when this is forgotten.

Let's move on. :)

swoll1980
March 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM
never mind it's been covered already

matthew
March 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Well, the thread has jumped the shark and appears to be over. Sorry, guys and gals. Since we can't move on, I'm closing the thread.