PDA

View Full Version : NetbootCD - install several Linux distros from one CD

maybeway36
March 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM
NetbootCD is my live CD that can install many Linux distros. It boots into a slightly modified Tiny Core in text-mode and pops up a few dialogs asking you which distro and version to install. Then, it downloads the kernel and initrd and uses kexec to load them, replacing itself in memory with the new distro's installer. The installer then proceeds to install the rest of the distribution as normal.

It can also load the latest version of GRUB4DOS. (This is mostly to show off.)

You can get it at: http://netbootcd.tuxfamily.org/

The newest version is 3.0, based on Tiny Core.

doorknob60
March 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Add Arch?

maybeway36
March 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Unfortunately, the way in which the Arch FTP installer works makes this impossible; in order for NetbootCD to boot something with kexec, everything needs to be in the kernel or initrd and loaded to RAM.

bsharp
March 8th, 2009, 02:35 AM
That's pretty awesome, how long did you work on this?

doorknob60
March 8th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Unfortunately, the way in which the Arch FTP installer works makes this impossible; in order for NetbootCD to boot something with kexec, everything needs to be in the kernel or initrd and loaded to RAM.

Kinda thought that might be a problem. Oh well, still looks like a great project. I'll try it out soon.

maybeway36
April 11th, 2009, 12:45 AM
My new version, 3.0, is based on Tiny Core Linux with X11 removed. It weighs in at only 6.1 MB! You can get it at the website in the original post.

init1
April 11th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Nice, I've got a CD similar to that. It has the netinstall images for Debian and Ubuntu, as well as Slitaz, TTYLinux, and FreeDOS. It's very useful.

shamurshamur
September 13th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Can somebody tell me .....how to set proxy server settings in netbootcd.
I am behind a proxy server and have to enter proxy server address to access internet.

Mehall
September 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.wow.com/media/2007/09/forumnecromancy.jpg