PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I remove Ubuntu when I can't load it or windows

Nitefang
March 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Ok Last night I tried to install Ubuntu 8.10. It didn't work and I keep getting the grub error. I need my computer working in about 5 hours so I don't want to play around with Linux.
I may have made it worse but I put my HDD on another computer so that i could see the files. I deleted both of the "wubidr" files and an file named Ubuntu.

Looking back maybe I should have waited. Anyway what else do I need to delete because ubuntu still tries to load. And I really can't format my HDD, so if that is the only way..... I'm screwed.

Thank you everyone for your help which I know is great from past experiences.

taurus
March 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
You already have windows on that harddrive? Do you have windows boot disc so you can boot to it and remove GRUB from MBR?

Otherwise, use Super GRUB Disk then, http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/SuperGrubDiskPage.html.

howefield
March 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Do you have the windows installation cd which will enable you to recover your bootloader for windows ?

Nitefang
March 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Sorry, forgot to add in a few things. Ok, firstly I am normally very good with computers and even with linux I know what I'm doing half the time. That being said this was a huge mistake I made.

I'm pretty sure I also accidentally installed ubuntu inside of windows but I'm not sure on that one. Next I installed Ubuntu on a flash drive. I made sure that it said that's where it was going when I selected the partitions. Also I was already booting Windows Vista 64bit and 32bit. My friend just told me that you can't tri-boot which would have been great to know last night.

Ok I do have the boot disk for both 64 and 32bit. The only problem is that I keep getting errors when I try to use it.

Hobgoblin
March 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM
My friend just told me that you can't tri-boot

Your friend told you wrong.

Boot from the Ubuntu live CD and see if your Windows partition is still there. You should be able to find it in the partition editor.

Hobgoblin
March 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Ok I do have the boot disk for both 64 and 32bit. The only problem is that I keep getting errors when I try to use it.

What errors? And what are you trying to do with it?

And what was "the grub error" you had in your original post?