PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu LUG's in the UK

curuxz
December 27th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Hi, Has anyone noticed how pointless the idea of a LUG is now that everyone is using 50 diffrent distro's. Would it be possible to form Ubuntu (K and X aswell) LUG's I'm thinking more for the UK I dont know what the others do around the world and if they have them. But personaly my idea of LUG is to share tips, and promote a real community around improving the systems we use. this does not work when you turn up and spend 8 hours arguing against some RPM person just to resolve that issue then get hit with the 'but i use gentoo' line and around you go again.

Would anyone else like to see DEB based LUG's where we can actauly get on with talking about using linux not just which distro is best... :)

ned.b
December 27th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Hi, Has anyone noticed how pointless the idea of a LUG is now that everyone is using 50 diffrent distro's. Would it be possible to form Ubuntu (K and X aswell) LUG's I'm thinking more for the UK I dont know what the others do around the world and if they have them. But personaly my idea of LUG is to share tips, and promote a real community around improving the systems we use. this does not work when you turn up and spend 8 hours arguing against some RPM person just to resolve that issue then get hit with the 'but i use gentoo' line and around you go again.

Would anyone else like to see DEB based LUG's where we can actauly get on with talking about using linux not just which distro is best... :)

This sounds like a good idea - especially for us easily confused linux n00bs :confused: Does anyone who is cunning in the ways of Debian/Ubuntu want to start a DUG or UUG in the Nottingham/Derby area?

curuxz
December 27th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Well I would be more than happy to start a southampton based UUG but I would need to see what the local LUG is since I have not lived there long so would be nice to see if its any good.