PDA

View Full Version : List the name of women using Ubuntu

iocustheoda
March 7th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hi girls,

recently, someone reply this back to me:

We all know that females don't exist on the internet, especially in Linux forums.

So, I decided to list the women using Ubuntu. Write your nickname here and your webpage as url when clicked on the nickname. I'll start first.

1.iocustheoda (http://pricelesstome.blogspot.com)

bapoumba
March 7th, 2009, 09:04 PM
.o/

You can add macogw (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=137631) and elizabeth (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=10746).

albandy
March 7th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'm a man, but my boss (a woman) uses ubuntu.

elizabeth
March 8th, 2009, 01:09 AM
There is a whole Profiles page on our wiki page:

http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Profiles

iocustheoda
March 8th, 2009, 04:54 PM
There is a whole Profiles page on our wiki page:

http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Profiles

Thanks! And who says women can't handle computer?;)

It's just like handling men: you don't understand sometimes how they work, but you'll get around one way or another.:twisted:

Bearly Able
March 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I'm Lesley (http://www.webaflame.co.uk) and I'm a female Ubuntu user. I've also just installed Xubuntu for an elderly female friend.

chriskin
March 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
i can't say i am a woman , but it is true that i know 4 female users of ubuntu, ranging from 18 to 25 years old

panickedthumb
March 10th, 2009, 05:19 PM
My wife (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=6488) uses it

eljalill
March 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I am a woman. But I don't have a webpage... well, at least not a real one.

Ms_Angel_D
March 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Hi guys Angel Here, Check My Sig ;)

ubuntu-freak
April 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
OP, I think the statement you quoted was a joke.

KOld Iron
April 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Add two more (I'll post on their behalf as none of them is member of this forum):
- My wife. Migrated her PC from Windows XP to Ubuntu. She doesn't care what OS she is using. In the first step I got her to use Firefox and Openoffice on Windows (she is also using Skype). All of this also runs on Ubuntu, so one day I re-installed her PC with Ubuntu and that was that. No reason for turning back has come up so far.
- My daughter. She is quite good with computers and I actually convinced her that Ubuntu is the better choice compared to Vista. Since she started university she does not have time to play games anymore, so she pretty much switched to Ubuntu for good (but still has dual-boot with the original Vista configured). Also, since she is studying Japanese, we have installed support for that on the Ubuntu (as there is a great tutorial here in the forum how to do that) incl. Japanase language support in OpenOffice. Works great.

With that our household has been completely "ubuntufied" :-)

befana
April 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I prefer to think about myself as about a girl, but yes, I am a woman and I use Ubuntu. Also, my mother uses Ubuntu on her home pc. So, +2.

Svensk023
April 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I switched my mom over to Ubuntu, and she hasn't touched windows in almost a year now.

elizabeth
April 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Technically it is, but this is an actual quote from someone joining the #ubuntu-women channel last night:

> lol, it really looks like there are women here XD

This is not uncommon. In addition to the common shock of people joining and seeing female nicknames, we are frequently accused of lying about our gender.

ubuntu-freak
April 20th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Technically it is, but this is an actual quote from someone joining the #ubuntu-women channel last night:

> lol, it really looks like there are women here XD

This is not uncommon. In addition to the common shock of people joining and seeing female nicknames, we are frequently accused of lying about our gender.

Yeah, I've noticed serious comments where guys are shocked to see females using Ubuntu. It certainly is depressing - not females using Ubuntu, the surprise and shock at the notion.

danni-la
April 23rd, 2009, 03:21 AM
Wow.. another girl/woman reporting here... I have no website yet... and I had no clue there were so many other women here! :D

iponeverything
April 23rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
I installed Linux on my wife's machine shortly after we were married in 2000 and within the last two years switched her over to Ubuntu.

She, I think like most people, does not know or really care that much about the OS that she is using -- as long as it does what she needs it to do, when she needs to do it. We also use mythtv for our PVR -- again, she does not care how or why it works, as long as it works.

Everything computer-wise in our house is Linux based -- It makes it much easier for me to support -- as I like Linux, work in a very modular fashion.

cat wife | grep smile

arashiko28
April 25th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Arashiko28
Cloclosita
It's my sister, also my mom and a couple of friends more:)

krazymir
April 27th, 2009, 03:17 AM
My sister uses it.

pony
May 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hello, I'm a girl. I am 9 years old soon to be 10. My dad is 67GTA. He introduced me to Ubuntu. I keep a Windows partition for playing games, but I use Ubuntu for everything else. I love Ubuntu.):P

bapoumba
May 8th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Welcome, pony :)

Ms_Angel_D
May 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hello, I'm a girl. I am 9 years old soon to be 10. My dad is 67GTA. He introduced me to Ubuntu. I keep a Windows partition for playing games, but I use Ubuntu for everything else. I love Ubuntu.):P

Quite Well spoken, for a young lady of 9 ;) Welcome to Ubuntu Dear :D

pony
October 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I have been here for a while now and have posted a little bit. I am ten years old now. I am home schooled and have two sisters. I can't really answer a lot of questions because I am not experienced. It's good to know that there are people I can talk to.

rihanha
October 21st, 2009, 01:42 AM
https://launchpad.net/~rihanha

marseille
January 11th, 2010, 10:58 AM
hello to all ubuntu women :KS

i became a female user of ubuntu with the release of ubuntustudio feisty fawn.

- - -

https://launchpad.net/~marseille

FrkF
January 12th, 2010, 09:09 AM
The best thing I ever done in my life was when I banned ](*,)ms ](*,) and start living for real using Linux and Ubuntu. That's love!

My webpage: Frk F (http://frkf.se/blog)

underquark
January 12th, 2010, 09:46 AM
My wife uses ubuntu. I don't think she realises that she uses ubuntu (although she knows that it' not Windows) but that's the point of a stable, working OS.

GreyShadow
January 14th, 2010, 03:36 AM
me and another librarian

jrusso2
January 14th, 2010, 03:46 AM

If thats a joke its not funny at all. Its like saying women can't use Linux or even the internet.

freesitebuilder
January 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
I've just thought up a cunning plan ... instead of converting more women to Ubuntu, we could try converting male Ubuntu users to women.

Nah, it wouldn't work - much too expensive. :)

emma00
January 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
i am emma

abraxas334
February 24th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Definitely female and definitely using ubuntu

fatcrab
February 27th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I've just thought up a cunning plan ... instead of converting more women to Ubuntu, we could try converting male Ubuntu users to women.

I will keep what I have,thank you!:D

fancy_ninja
February 28th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I'm a happy user, and I'm definitely a female ^_^

also, love the sig abraxas334!

penguirl
March 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
My name is Tina and I am a Kubuntu user who has learned more about the CL in two weeks with Kubuntu than in nine years of using OS X and I'm loving (almost) every minute of it!

:D

ladypcer
April 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Me. Ubuntu using grandma.:D

Mirage ha
April 15th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I am Mirage ,i am using ubuntu :)

Elfy
April 16th, 2010, 07:04 AM
My daughter does - she has no account here as yet.

iponeverything
April 16th, 2010, 07:33 AM
My wife does, but generally is not too aware of it. For her it is a like the road, its just there when she needs it.

the8thstar
April 16th, 2010, 07:43 AM
My wife uses Ubuntu. I introduced it to her and she really likes the OS... to the point that she will use ONLY Ubuntu and not Windows 7. :)

trig
April 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
The opening statement sounds like a something from the 4chan board. My wife, beffy is a internet genius. Well windows genius.

Kayden
April 18th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Heheh. I suppose I can add myself (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=624380) to the list.

kwacka
April 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
"The Boss" uses Ubuntu.

I don't know if these two ladies use Ubuntu, but their names might be useful if there's a discussion about women's role in technology: Mitchell Baker - Chairperson of Mozilla Foundation, & Stormy Peters - co-founder & current Executive Director of the GNOME Foundation.

Kermit524
April 18th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I am a woman, currently on Karmic. I have set up my own machine almost a year ago. I can't imagine ever going back to Windows.
Since I do HTML, and need to run Adobe software, I have a Vbox running windows XP, installed on my machine.
I am currently the only member of my family on Linux, hubbie and kidz still running Windoze :-\ (but all use Firefox, OO and Thunderbird). Hopefully this will change soon.
2 more women I know - clients of mine - also use Ubuntu.

Dayofswords
April 20th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I am a woman. But I don't have a webpage... well, at least not a real one.
you dont have to have one =p

We all know that females don't exist on the internet, especially in Linux forums.
this is a rule of the internet(not saying it's true)

16. There are NO girls on the internet.
probably why you were told this =p

The opening statement sounds like a something from the 4chan board. My wife, beffy is a internet genius. Well windows genius.
yep, 4chan.:)

i dont know anyone else other than me using ubuntu, and i'm not a woman either.

Irihapeti
April 22nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
Maybe I should add myself to the list.

My daughter-in-law was using Ubuntu for over a year (my son did most of the updates etc) until their computer died and they replaced it with a Windows 7 box.

gabriella
April 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Well hello!

I never even realised this place existed! But I've not spent much time on Ubuntu Forums recently. I'm using Jaunty but am thinking about moving to Karmic or maybe even waiting until Lucid. I love using an OS other than windows but still have to use Windows a bit a my work. I put Ubuntu remix on my netbook and love showing it to people. Although some seem to assume its a Mac.. Ha!

Gabriella

Mechafish
April 28th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Mechafish is a woman, add me.

AbangBoltok
May 3rd, 2010, 07:16 AM
i wasnt an ubuntu user, but my girlfriend installed ubuntu Karmic on my Computer without my permission and now i really like Ubuntu. she uses Ubuntu for years. but she's not a member of UbuntuForums.

:D

Jay Car
May 3rd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Hey! Me too! My computers and I are mostly made up of old parts, but we're all females...(Olive Oyl is my main work computer, the two backups are Lucy & Ethel, and my new Dell Ubuntu mini is called Minnie, of course!). There's lots of us female types wandering around out here.

Hi to all! :)

bapoumba
May 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Problem with women is they dont have the interest and the sprit.

Well in scientific terms they don't have the testosterone (or balls ;) ) and that's true.

That hormone urges you to take up challenges and so it's critical.
It would be so easy if that really was the answer..

emilywind
May 16th, 2010, 06:10 AM
hello to all ubuntu women :KS

i became a female user of ubuntu with the release of ubuntustudio feisty fawn.

- - -

https://launchpad.net/~marseille
Oh, did you get a sex change when it was released? :o I jest, I jest. :)

Anyway, my name is Emily and I have used Ubuntu for sometime over a year. I find it to be a more comfortable environment than Windows for writing, drawing/painting and the occasional work for university. The interface is both inviting and relaxing, which is very important to me as an artist for getting in the proper mood to write/draw/paint. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I installed Ubuntu Netbook remix on a friend's netbook a few weeks ago because lots of her programs were broken in Windows 7 starter edition plus she could not change the background. Upon showing her UNE 10.04 via live USB, she decided she wanted it installed in place of Windows. So I backed stuff up and set it up for her and she has loved it since. :)

elizabeth
May 17th, 2010, 12:23 AM

Well in scientific terms they don't have the testosterone (or balls ;) ) and that's true.

If you're actually interested in what is "true" you may want to read Terri Oda's popular slides on the topic http://www.slideshare.net/terriko/how-does-biology-explain-the-low-numbers-of-women-in-cs-hint-it-doesnt

olayak
May 17th, 2010, 12:57 AM

wow. sexist much?! that is total bull. If you want to really know, it is gender roles that are taught from birth as defined by society (ex. boys are dressed in blue and bought trucks as toys, girls are dressed in pink and bought dolls.) Society teaches women that math and the sciences are less feminine (which we all know is not true. Look at Marie Curie).
Anyway, I use linux and I know two other women who program professionally that use it, too. I don't program professionally, just for fun. and, to blow apart your stereotype even more, we are all beautiful women (I was on All My Children for a while) and we still techno-geeks. Why ask a man to fix a computer, when you can do it better yourself? :)
btw - my husband is not that tech savy.

Dragonbite
May 17th, 2010, 02:15 AM
My wife uses Ubuntu. Not completely by choice, but now she prefers using Ubuntu rather than Windows (just, wants some of the Windows applications to run on Ubuntu)

Cathhsmom
May 17th, 2010, 02:38 AM
My name is Cindy. I used Linspire a while back, but could not use it on a full time basis. I switched to Ubuntu in November, and I have not looked back on Windows since.

K.Mandla
May 17th, 2010, 02:40 AM

Nonsense.

cprofitt
May 17th, 2010, 04:37 AM
My two daughters and my son use Ubuntu. I was going to try and get a picture taken for the Ubuntu Women's contest, but I still have not gotten one I feel is good enough.

Dayofswords
May 17th, 2010, 04:46 AM
[[[I'm copying and pasting this from a thread made in response to this one]]]

Thread title:List the Name of Men using Ubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1485423)

Oh, boo-hoo, another poor oppressed member of the majority. :roll:

does the men being the majority them less important?
does the women being the minority make them more important?

Personally: both Men and Women using Ubuntu should be noticed equally. One's gender amount should not dictate how showed off their presence is.

Like the IBM linux commercial said:

A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing your self in the group for the good of the group, that's teamwork.
While it is nice to have both genders using Ubuntu, splitting off to smaller groups just discourages people from being more part of the full community.
We shouldn't (for example) be in sub group B. which is part of Group A with association of Group C in connection with Group D.

When I post on forums, sites and blogs, I dont care if someone is a male or female when they post, ask, or tell something.

We are all in the Ubuntu community.

Our gender should not matter when it comes to using Ubuntu.

If I was a female, I would hope I would still think this.

elizabeth
May 18th, 2010, 12:14 AM
While it is nice to have both genders using Ubuntu, splitting off to smaller groups just discourages people from being more part of the full community.

You are mistaken with the purpose of the project, splitting women into separate groups goes against our goals. The project is about bringing more women into the wider community - indeed, women involved with Ubuntu Women are involved and in leadership positions throughout the project.

When I post on forums, sites and blogs, I dont care if someone is a male or female when they post, ask, or tell something.

Unfortunately not everyone behaves this way, and behavior from folks who discriminate based on gender does frequently drive women away.

cprofitt
May 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
You are mistaken with the purpose of the project, splitting women into separate groups goes against our goals. The project is about bringing more women into the wider community - indeed, women involved with Ubuntu Women are involved and in leadership positions throughout the project.

Unfortunately not everyone behaves this way, and behavior from folks who discriminate based on gender does frequently drive women away.

Well spoken Elizabeth. The problem is not with gender... not with majority or minority status... it is simply with attitudes expressed. Young kids take cues from society and if society as a whole ridicules women for using technology (or going deeper) they will shy away from it... just as men shy away from being nurses due to ridicule of male nurses.

In this I think we find the key to Ubuntu Women -- not to promote women over men... but to simply show females, especially girls, that using and being interested in technology is acceptable and has value. To given them a safe haven from potential ridicule... to give them role models to look up too.

Dragonbite
May 19th, 2010, 01:29 PM
In this I think we find the key to Ubuntu Women -- not to promote women over men... but to simply show females, especially girls, that using and being interested in technology is acceptable and has value. To given them a safe haven from potential ridicule... to give them role models to look up too.

A place where they can relax and talk about the subject at hand (technology), rather than have to try and cover up who they really are!

ankit singh
May 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
my mom and my sister uses linux(i will not comment ubuntu because their taste is fedora and gentoo ( i think my mother and sister are abnormal women species)).

Arthur_D
May 19th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Unfortunately the trolls follow you even in here... personally I think the board moderators should close discussions about genders in this subforum, for that reason. I'm a man but I don't think discussing gender here is a good thing.

This place would probably be a bit dead if it wasn't for those discussions though. :(

juancarlospaco
May 19th, 2010, 11:22 PM
List the name of * using Ubuntu

/fixed

MCVenom
May 30th, 2010, 12:07 AM
This threads going a bit downhill. :p

I think that Ubuntu-Women is a needed project, we should be encouraging anyone who can to get involved with Ubuntu and free software. :D

I would like to say that the 'Men using Ubuntu' thread is okay in my view, nothing particularly wrong with it and I can't understand why it got closed. The 'Ubuntu-Men' suggestion was a bit childish though; just saying. :P

My 2% of our falling US dollar,
-BlackOtaku

occams_beard
May 30th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Why not an Ubuntu group for black people, gay people, red haired people, left handed people, etc?

I think the Ubuntu Women project only serves to divide, as illustrated by this and other threads. Why do we need to bring gender politics or other types of group think into everything? One of the things I love about the Ubuntu community is that it is -mostly- apolitical (With the exception of the Ubuntu women project that is)

What does it matter, really, who uses ubuntu? If a woman wants to use Ubuntu, then good. If not, then that is her choice. What's the big deal... sheesh.

This threads going a bit downhill. :p

I think that Ubuntu-Women is a needed project, we should be encouraging anyone who can to get involved with Ubuntu and free software. :D

I would like to say that the 'Men using Ubuntu' thread is okay in my view, nothing particularly wrong with it and I can't understand why it got closed. The 'Ubuntu-Men' suggestion was a bit childish though; just saying. :P

My 2% of our falling US dollar,
-BlackOtaku

mobilediesel
May 30th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I think the Ubuntu Women project only serves to divide, as illustrated by this and other threads.

Since elizabeth already said it better than I could:

bra|10n
May 30th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I have been here for a while now and have posted a little bit. I am ten years old now. I am home schooled and have two sisters. I can't really answer a lot of questions because I am not experienced. It's good to know that there are people I can talk to.

I am not a woman despite what my user-name might imply...
However Pony, you just made my day girl!:KS

tiresmokindad
June 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Can you list my friend for that? She is Catherine. :guitar:

Valorie Zimmerman
June 10th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Why not an Ubuntu group for black people, gay people, red haired people, left handed people, etc?

I think the Ubuntu Women project only serves to divide, as illustrated by this and other threads. Why do we need to bring gender politics or other types of group think into everything? One of the things I love about the Ubuntu community is that it is -mostly- apolitical (With the exception of the Ubuntu women project that is)

What does it matter, really, who uses ubuntu? If a woman wants to use Ubuntu, then good. If not, then that is her choice. What's the big deal... sheesh.

I think you miss the point, occams_beard. We exist to encourage women to not only use Ubuntu, but to become part of the community. That is important because it makes for a better community. More black people would be good too, don't you agree? Also more gay people. And red-heads, and south-paws.

Why? Because the more diverse a community is, the stronger it is. Just like the rest of nature, that's how human culture works.

If a woman chooses not to use Ubuntu, we're certainly not trying to take away her freedom of choice. On the contrary, we are offering more choice to a larger variety of people. We think that's good and valuable work. If you don't, then you don't need to help us. In my opinion, that will be your loss.

Valorie, who uses Kubuntu

Kermit524
June 10th, 2010, 09:34 AM

hmmmm... Hey! I am also left-handed. However - straight and brown haired. Maybe we can open a subgroup?...

All browned-haired-left-handed-femail-ubuntu-users - unite!

Just kidding....

ocacies
June 23rd, 2010, 02:19 AM
I'm ocacies and I'm a female Ubuntu user. :p

makindue
July 15th, 2010, 03:29 AM

I like what elizabeth said. :D But I think that you can say better than her. :D

Thryn
July 21st, 2010, 12:42 AM
Just adding my name to the list. I've been using Ubuntu for a little more than a month (since a day or two before I made my account here). I decided to install it on my new computer when it arrived because I've had bad experiences with malware on Windows. So I figured the less I use Windows the less I expose myself to that kind of stuff. It's been a learning experience (I think I've learned as much in one month of Ubuntu as I had in the last six months of Windows and OSX) and there are bumps, but generally it works nicely and that's what matters. And I do enjoy the challenges. Especially when I defeat them!

Also I think that everyone should have a hobby that makes other people's eyes cross. With this I added one more to my list. :evil:

1ceblu3
October 10th, 2010, 09:00 PM
me! been a user since 2004. love it!

It's nice to know there are more females out there who are involved in the linux/ubunu community.

Well spoken Elizabeth. The problem is not with gender... not with majority or minority status... it is simply with attitudes expressed. Young kids take cues from society and if society as a whole ridicules women for using technology (or going deeper) they will shy away from it... just as men shy away from being nurses due to ridicule of male nurses.

EXACTLY!

a.mused
November 3rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
Courtney (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1120546)

I've been using Ubuntu since 2007. :)

Dragonbite
November 3rd, 2010, 01:51 PM
I am glad to be noticing more and more women related to Linux gatherings and online and forums. Be even better when the numbers are such that "List the name of women using Ubuntu" has the same impact as "List the name of men using Ubuntu"... none!

acth
November 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hi there,

I'm Tini from Germany and I'm using Linux since 1998 but only sporadically. Since 2000 more often and now I'm using Linux only @home. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 as main system on my PC and on my eee 701 I installed crunchbang based on debian testing. And I own a Dingoo with Dingux on it (also linux).

My mother (obviously also a women) is using ubuntu 10.04. :D

hotwax
January 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
glad to see females using ubuntu :)

gabriella
February 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm Gabriella, well guess my user name already says that. I'm a post grad student near Oxford in England. I've been using Linux for a couple of years now and loving it. Still lots to learn. My college initially got me going into Linux as they are quite supportive of open source. I'm not in IT though..

afri.ca
March 5th, 2011, 02:39 AM
hi, i'm angelika, a software developer from germany. i've been using linux since 2002 and now, that my family and me have moved to africa for a few years we decided to completely switch our labs away from win to ubuntu. especially here i notice the need to have a stable, cheap and most of all safe operating system. time to spread the "news"!!

i'm happy to join you, sisters! :P

bapoumba
March 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM
hi, i'm angelika, a software developer from germany. i've been using linux since 2002 and now, that my family and me have moved to africa for a few years we decided to completely switch our labs away from win to ubuntu. especially here i notice the need to have a stable, cheap and most of all safe operating system. time to spread the "news"!!

i'm happy to join you, sisters! :P

Welcome :)

oxf
March 15th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Hello,

I'm Katja from in southern England. Ive been using Linux for a couple of years now and completely swiched form Windows. I'm really likeing it and have learnt a lot. I'm no expert though and still have lots to learn! But I've become totally comfortable using Ubuntu and evjoy it so much more than my "trendy Mac" friends!

s.fox
March 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Hello,

I'm Katja from in southern England. Ive been using Linux for a couple of years now and completely swiched form Windows. I'm really likeing it and have learnt a lot. I'm no expert though and still have lots to learn! But I've become totally comfortable using Ubuntu and evjoy it so much more than my "trendy Mac" friends!

Welcome to the forum :)

haapsalu_sall
April 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'm a woman using Ubuntu with both the Gnome and Xfce desktops installed (and I like Xfce better). I plan on creating a virtualbox eventually and running Windows (I seem to need it for a couple of classes I want to take for work, but I am also considering just going in to work early and watching them there. I have deep philosophical differences with Microsoft and if I didn't have to have anything on my computer by them I would be deilghted), Fedora, and any other distro that catches my fancy.

I've only been using Linux for a little over a month (started with Mint) but I plan to get immersed in it. I'd like to eventually learn a lot of stuff listed on the You Know You're a Geek thread. And create my own Linux from scratch.

I don't think a group for women is divisive. I, like others, agree with what Elizabeth said.

bapoumba
April 20th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Welcome haapsalu_sall :)

elizabeth
April 21st, 2011, 12:06 AM
I'm a woman using Ubuntu with both the Gnome and Xfce desktops installed (and I like Xfce better).

Woo, another xfce fan! Welcome :D

kay-la
April 21st, 2011, 01:59 PM
I'm a woman, i use linux since 1999 and i'm working like linux system administrator.

Rachel_Eliason
May 3rd, 2011, 04:41 AM

I don't know, it worked for me.:D:D Ubuntu user since 7.04, Woman since 9.04 (It was pretty expensive...)

I wouldn't discount the idea of a gay, black, or left handed Ubuntu user forums. I know four other Linux users in real life and they are all in my Transgender support group. I've wondered more than once if I should start a Trans-friendly forum.:P

I see two possible values to having a sub-forum for a specific group. The first is if the group has a perspective that is different from the mainstream and might have insights that can benefit Ubuntu as a whole. The second is if they use their computers in a different way, or use different sorts of programs.

Gender differences are often subtle and it can be easy to discount them but they are there. Small differences in the ratio of gray matter and white matter in the brain gives men a tendency towards linear logic and women a tendency towards associative logic. Cultural conditioning often reinforces these tendencies.

Programming logic is very linear and maybe this is why computers have been traditionally a more male field. However what makes computers important is the way they connect to each other, and allow us to connect. That's a more associative process.

So I think it's possible that women do view their computers in a slightly different way than the average man. Whether I am writing, sharing photos with friends, using social media or surfing the internet my computer is a platform for communication. Do other women feel that way too? I don't know. Does this give Ubuntu's development team some great new insight or innovation? I don't know that either, but I do think it's worth discussing these questions.

Sorry for the long post. I am Rachel and I use Ubuntu.):P

judiM
July 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hi all, I like the idea of having a forum aimed at encouraging women (or any other under represented group) into Linux. I installed Ubuntu on our family computer about 3 years ago after our XP disk got damaged and none of us would now go back to Windows, my sister-in- law and my mum (and dad) all use Ubuntu now as well.
Too many people I know hear the word 'Linux' and go 'I couldn't use that - it's just for geeks in laboratories....way too techie for me....'
My mum always disliked using computers but started using my dads laptop a bit after I put Ubuntu on it, she then got her own laptop with XP installed - it lasted about a week before she asked me to get rid and give her ubuntu, Windows was just way too fussy, complicated and slow!
We should be spreading the word! (i don't work in IT - computers are just my hobby)

mcsj
September 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Hi Girls!

I am a old school Linux user since the 1990's. Used Redhat & Mandrake in those days. Those were the beginnings...but left becoz of poor connection to a stable community. However, I am back on the Linux track and using Ubuntu! Glad that I step back on!

HerFlower
February 22nd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Andrea Hart (http://www.linux-gamer-girl.blogspot.com)

Helen McCall
March 19th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I am a woman who has used Debian based systems for all my computing since 1996 when the first Debian 1.3.1 CDs became available in the UK. I had previously used Slackware on my home PC which was a distinctly hybrid machine I built using a variety of free scrap pieces of all sorts of computers including a few PCs and some unix workstations and even an old Kontron supplied some of the circuits. I previously used to use a variety of Unix systems for work, but transferred all my work to Debian workstations once I had a Debian box built.

My current workstation is one I built myself. I have a couple of times bought off-the-shelf PCs, but found them to be unreliable and expensive and having an often unfortunate combination of components. I therefore prefer to build my own computers.

I know a few other women who use Ubuntu and Debian. I converted to Ubuntu a few years ago because it seemed an easier way of getting proprietory graphics drivers to give a good display. Though Debian now seems to have made that easier again.

luisar
April 1st, 2012, 08:43 AM
Luisa (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1571940)

hello!

EmilyRose
April 29th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I use Ubuntu, though I run GNOME 3 an XFCE depending on system specs (which is to say that me & my husband run GNOME 3, an our kids XFCE since they have my 10yr old desktop :p). I've been running Ubuntu since 6.06, an before that a completely random selection of distros since ~1998/1999, though mostly Slackware & its derivatives :)

Most recently I was a GNOME Outreach Program for Women intern, an have just been accepted to Google Summer of Code working on GNOME Clock :)

Colo2
May 1st, 2012, 11:11 AM
My girlfriend is a woman (thank god :D) - and she uses Xubuntu

Linuxratty
May 17th, 2012, 06:29 PM
. I've wondered more than once if I should start a Trans-friendly forum.:P

Hi Rachel I think a tg.women friendly Linux group ( not on Facebook) would be great.
One of my house mates and closest friends is tg.
I'd like to join Linuxchix but it's email and I prefer forums over e mail.
Down at the bottom is my sig...There are 3 women on LI...I'm one of them. I wish there were at least a dozen more.
I've used Linux for eight years.Getting ready to install a new distro since 10.10 is on it's last legs...I'll have a 2and computer for work with the latest Ubuntu on it..Will be finding out if I can stand Unity or not.

Jackalyn
June 25th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I am a woman and just started using Ubuntu. I have never used it before and so may sound a bit daft from time to time. However that has nothing to do with my being a woman:lolflag: It has everything to do with loving to try out something new and also Windows dying on a laptop!:popcorn:

I would prefer a facebook forum as I use it a lot but any kind is ok by me except those irc things as I find them confusing with everyone talking at once!

J

czrog
July 8th, 2012, 04:46 AM
My name is Christy.

I have been an Ubuntu user for 6 days. I am actually going into the technical writing field. I'm not much of a techy, but I am showing great promise (so a friend of mine has noted). I am impressed to see some very young users on Ubuntu, well they were years ago when they posted. My friend's mom is a 70 yr/old Ubuntu user. Freaks me out... my mom is 57 & never turned on a computer. LOL She has no desire either. To each their own.

tulipán
July 11th, 2012, 05:00 PM
my name is Eszter. go ubuntu women!

malefika
July 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Oh, I'm a woman too, my name's Jessica! :) Started using Linux (Slack/Gentoo/Debian) about 14 years ago, started using Ubuntu 4 years ago and never looked back. Actually testing Ubuntu+1 QQ and trying to discover as more bugs as I can. :popcorn::popcorn:

malefika (http://launchpad.net/%7Esiliconjey)

ronja112
July 30th, 2012, 09:37 AM
One more. I'm Ronja and I started with a Zilog / System 8000 in 1987 (it was a Sys 3, at least sort of, i.e. an earlier version of Sys 5 Unix).

Since then I've used VMS, MS-DOS, a couple of Macintoshes, BSD Unix, Solaris, early Linux, almost all Windows versions (sigh), now Ubuntu for several years, and lately also Debian, CentOS and LinuxMint. There was a time in mid and late 1990's when I worked as a postmaster for an ISP, sometimes editing sendmail.cf - but I would not dare to do that anymore, I've forgotten too much. DNS I think I still could manage to set up, after brushing up my knowledge.

Today I do mostly technical documentation and study related stuff in various Linux environments. I love LaTeX and Docbook, and would not edit their source files with anything but emacs.

I swear by the O'Reilly books.

Looking at the above, you could easily think that I am a really technical person, but end users and how they can get their work/study/whatever tasks done effectively and efficiently is actually much closer to my core interests. But Linux is a fun environment to play in, and I do not intend to grow up - or at least I don't intend to ever stop playing. :D

miho
August 14th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Hiya folks! I'm a female Ubuntu user and I've been loving the distro since Warty Warthog back in 2004-2005. My first experience with Linux were some less than stellar copies of various distros my computer science teacher in high school had. I searched online for other distributions, and eventually came across Ubuntu! There was a period of stagnation wherein I actually didn't use Ubuntu at all, and that saddens me, but I've installed a distro here and there over the years to play around, but now that I'm refocusing on programming, I feel it might be a good idea to do so on a Linux distro, and I can't think of a better one than Ubuntu. <3

CK000
August 15th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I am a gentleman myself, but I know of at least two ladies who use Ubuntu. They do not have web pages as such, to the best of my knowledge. They also do not seem to care how it technically works but they certainly prefer it to any other operating system.

anathea
August 21st, 2012, 03:50 AM
I'm female, and I've been using Ubuntu since I was twelve. (Which wasn't that long ago, I'm still in school.) One of my friends (also female, also twelve) got me interested in it.

I've never really thought of Linux as a male only kind of thing, although I do tend to picture middle aged men with beards when I think of Linux users... Bit of a stereotype, I know.

Buntu Bunny
August 28th, 2012, 01:57 AM
OK, add me. ):P

I'm the IT person in our family. My husband tells me to figure it out and then asks if there is something he wants to know. I left Windows behind back at XP, and switched us to Ubuntu with Hardy Heron (6.04). I've upgraded to all the LTS versions since.

That doesn't mean I'm geeky or anything, hence the quote in my sig. My next learning goal is the command line. Good tutorial, here (http://linuxcommand.org/index.php).

Megaptera
August 28th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Please add my mother in law - 70+ and a recent convert to Ubuntu!

tijgertje
May 5th, 2013, 06:44 PM
I'm female and I'm using Linux and BSD for years now.

ronnyroll
May 22nd, 2013, 06:11 PM
yah, they are there, actually it is wrong conclusion that women are not on internet.

oxf
June 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM
yah, they are there, actually it is wrong conclusion that women are not on internet.

Yes we are here!

I often wonder if we need a profile thingy to indicate gender. I don't usually get too upset about it but there is an assupmtion that by default I'm a guy.
I would prefer that not to be the case.

Caitlin

icypunkpixie
February 6th, 2014, 12:53 AM
*pokes the thread with a stick*

Female computer science major here... My name's Mike -- been running Ubuntu for about three years now, since 11.04. I'm my family's resident tech support and Linux geek. From all of this, the common assumption is that I'm a dude. People are generally surprised to see little ol' me, a 5-foot skinny chick with purple hair. :smile:

Mechafish
February 6th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Welcome Mike! Is that a nick to something?

mastablasta
February 6th, 2014, 10:28 AM

Yes we are here!

I often wonder if we need a profile thingy to indicate gender. I don't usually get too upset about it but there is an assupmtion that by default I'm a guy.
I would prefer that not to be the case.

Caitlin

all this is probably from the fact that English langauge is used mostly on the internet. while in our langauge you can quickly see who is a woman and who is not (well unless they purposley masquarade themselves as members of opposite sex).

PaulW2U
February 8th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I often wonder if we need a profile thingy to indicate gender.

I actually thought that there was one but I've checked and there isn't. Or may be it's been disabled by the admins.

I wonder if people here also make assumptions about age and looks as they apparently do about gender?

Zoe_Gambrell
February 16th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Hi girls,

recently, someone reply this back to me:

So, I decided to list the women using Ubuntu. Write your nickname here and your webpage as url when clicked on the nickname. I'll start first.

1.iocustheoda (http://pricelesstome.blogspot.com)
2.granma4jc

Zoe_Gambrell
February 16th, 2014, 04:09 AM
granma4jc
Cottontown, TN
Zoe Baker Gambrell on Facebook, only web page I have. :)
CPU: AMD Athlon 1.80 Ghz|| RAM: 2GB DDR3||Display: nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Elfy
February 16th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I actually thought that there was one but I've checked and there isn't. There isn't :)

Or may be it's been disabled by the admins.Nope - no disabling of anything like this going on at all :)

s1wood
February 17th, 2014, 05:41 PM
s1wood also known as Susan.
Been using Linux for about 6 years.

I use a gender neutral username because when I was using my full name (not on this forum) I got some unpleasant spam coming in.

hardkhora
April 8th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I know women who use Ubuntu...my wife, but I hope this thread hasn't lead to anyone getting random communications from guys....those can get creepy fast.

david98
April 20th, 2014, 01:51 AM
My fiancée uses Ubuntu she seen me using it a few years back and since she saw how easy it is to use and maintain. She installed it on her laptop and desktop she loves it so much she bought a Linux bible book to learn more she said she would never go back to using windows and she prefers it to a mac also. It's jus a myth that Linux is for geeky men my fiancée is a proper girly girl and far from a geek. Am even convincing my mam to convert as it's less hassle once you sort the graphics card issues out. So bottom line is women love Buntu just as much as men

cluelesswonder
April 20th, 2014, 04:55 PM
cluelesswonder!
(http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1559903)female+ubuntu since 2012 (mint since 2011) :)

Blog (http://sizzleteen.blogspot.ca/)

Mighty_Travels
June 5th, 2014, 05:35 PM
I don't know many women who use Ubuntu, but *shouts from rooftop* I do, I do, I do :)

I can't believe we have our own forum thread :)

:popcorn: *got the popcorn, now settling down on the couch to catch up...

http://www.mightytravels.com

Tazmagor
June 25th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Taz here. Complete newbie. Frend installed Ubuntu for me and now Im trying to familiarise myself with it.
Hit a few snags along the way but determined to fix them!! :o

s.fox
June 25th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Taz here. Complete newbie. Frend installed Ubuntu for me and now Im trying to familiarise myself with it.
Hit a few snags along the way but determined to fix them!! :o

Welcome to the forum :)

RCheesley
July 8th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Hi folks,

I've been tinkering with Linux in one form or another for about 10 years, but only really started using it when one of my team challenged me to swap my laptop OS for Linux in exchange for him learning my speciality (Joomla) to redesign his website ... the rest as they say is history!

I run a business specialising in open source, and we mostly run *ubuntu, CentOS and debian distributions on our office machines & servers. I'm pretty much a gui-based person but learning bits and bobs when I have to!

I am not a coder (I know enough to break code, but that's about it!) but I am quite involved with the Joomla project (I'm on the Community Leadership Team) and my main areas of speciality are marketing, SEO, optimisation, and being rather fussy about grammar and spelling ;) I speak at events and conferences on behalf of Joomla but also speak about women in technology, open source, and other related topics. I love meeting and talking to people so thought I would pop in here and say hello!

I use Kubuntu on my machines currently, with servers running CentOS and Debian which I manage.

Hoping to get involved a bit more so if I can help with anything give me a shout.

I do have a website here (http://www.ruthcheesley.co.uk).

Ruth

maria5
July 29th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I use Ubuntu on my netbook. I'm using it along with an android tablet and android phone. I've been using it even more intensely ever since a few weeks ago my Windows Vista laptop suffered death by, err... screwdriver.

I don't have a notable website.

piperbarb
August 25th, 2014, 01:23 PM
piperbarb

Been using Ubuntu since 2011. Started using Linux in 1994.

sewbiz
August 25th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I am very frugal so when my son introduced me to Linux I was thrilled. I knew it was something I would love. Windows asks for money at
every turn you take to add an upgrade or new program or to tweak something you already have. I love problem solving and am very
analytical so I can handle the time it takes to fix an issue. I'm addicted to Linux. I will never go back to Windows OS. Now a Trusty Tar gal (Ubuntu 14.04).

sewbiz
August 25th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I use Ubuntu on my netbook. I'm using it along with an android tablet and android phone. I've been using it even more intensely ever since a few weeks ago my Windows Vista laptop suffered death by, err... screwdriver.

I don't have a notable website.

Facebook page works! It is fun to see other women users of Linux.

lori2
August 27th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Ubuntu noob here, taking an Edx course to help familiarize myself with Linux. Loving it so far! <3

Sikorka
September 25th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Hello :) My name is Maria I use Ubuntu since 2010. I love this OS :)

roro-naruto
September 28th, 2014, 09:15 PM
I am using ubuntu since 1 month :)