PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with live cd

ScroogeMcDuck
March 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hello Ubuntu users,
when I try to use the live-cd option "try without installing" it doesnt work.
Either my computer starts beeping for half an hour, or there is no information send to my screen, it then says something like: no input and then the screen shuts down. But the weird thing is, that when I waited for half a minute or so, I heard the tune you normally hear when you boot ubuntu, so ubuntu was booted from the live-cd, I just couldn't see it.
Has anybody an idea of what's going on, because this is the second time I try to install, the first time failed (see my other post).

Thanks in advance,
Scrooge.

Kevbert
March 7th, 2009, 12:40 PM
It may be a hardware problem either something overheating or a memory problem. Please run memtest from the grub boot menu for at least a couple of passes. You should not get any failures. It's possible to run Windows Vista with faulty memory (you may just get the occasional unexpected crash).

wpshooter
March 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM
BEFORE attempting to boot to the Ubuntu CD, did you FIRST run the CD integrity function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

ScroogeMcDuck
March 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
BEFORE attempting to boot to the Ubuntu CD, did you FIRST run the CD integrity function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

Yes, of course, and this cd was allready used by a friend of mine, who had no problems installing it.

theozzlives
March 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
run memtest +86

ScroogeMcDuck
March 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM
This is weird, I tried to run the "test the cd for faults" option from the live-cd, but I got a message with: no input and then the screen went black, but the live cd did kept running. Can someone explain that?

chubble10
March 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Unsupported resolution?

ScroogeMcDuck
March 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Unsupported resolution? If it is that, I never heard of it, and so, will I be able to install ubuntu anyway?

oldos2er
March 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
If it is that, I never heard of it, and so, will I be able to install ubuntu anyway?

What's the make/model of your video card?

ScroogeMcDuck
March 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM
What's the make/model of your video card?

Nvidia GeForce 8600GS I believe

oldos2er
March 9th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Nvidia shouldn't be a problem. I'd double-check the integrity of the CD; failing that, try the alternate CD: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

ScroogeMcDuck
March 11th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I checked the integrity of the cd on another computer, since I can't on my own, but it is all ok. And also, when I used the option "try without any changes on the computer" it worked fine and got the right resolution, when I tried ubuntu on my computer (before the live cd didnt work anymore) the resolution wasnt right, everything was really big.

So should I just install from the alternate cd or does someone have an answer to my problem?