PDA

View Full Version : Is your PC on dual boot?

mahela007
March 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I want to know how most people use ubuntu
DO you dual boot it with windows? or do you use it as the only operating system?

jomiolto
March 7th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I dual boot two versions of Ubuntu (8.04 and 9.04 alpha) :)

Nepherte
March 7th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I have a dual boot with windows but haven't used windows for like a year. Makes me wonder why I have a dual boot :)

ymo
March 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I used to dual boot but now I use virtualisation to run Ubuntu on my WinXP boxes and I have a dedicated PC (well 3 now - Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Jaunty Beta test - I don't throw out old PCs...) to run Linux on.

albandy
March 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Only ubuntu, and a virtualized xp machine

aorkwa
March 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Dual boot. I'm in the long, painful process of shrinking Vista's partition bit by bit while I remove or archive files it still has lying around.

I rarely ever actually boot Windows, though. I have Windows XP in a virtual machine for things that really need Windows.

Dan_Dranath999
March 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'm in the process of erasing my Windows XP partition. It's been months since the last time i booted that. I now have 2 windows installations running on Virtualbox: XP and Windows 3.1 (just for laughs)

xpod
March 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I dual boot two versions of Ubuntu (8.04 and 9.04 alpha)

I`m similar to this at the moment although it`s 8.10 & 9.04 i have,using 9.04 mostly now.
I`ve not had Windows installed on my computer since the start of my second week with Ubuntu,unless you count VM`s.
In fact,Windows has never been installed on this particular computer.

DougieFresh4U
March 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I hadn't used Windows for 3 years.
Then I had machine built with 320 GB Hard Drive and Windows 7 was out for testing so I dual booted to play around with Windows 7.
I like it much better than Win XP

mahela007
March 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Only ubuntu, and a virtualized xp machine
what's a virtualized machine?

kg4tah
March 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I do have dual boot but the only time I use windows xp if for playing games and for essential programs that will not work with wine.

ratmandall
March 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I clicked No, but I meant yes :(....
Debian Lenny and Ubuntu II

Bölvašur
March 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM
no, I triple boot, ubuntu, open-suse, windows.
I rarely use anything else than ubuntu.

WatchingThePain
March 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Ubuntu and virtualised Vista.

t0p
March 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I have a dual boot with windows but haven't used windows for like a year. Makes me wonder why I have a dual boot :)

I also dual-booted with Windows (XP) for a while. But I realised I hadn't booted XP for a year, I was using the XP partition merely as somewhere to store my music and video files. So I got rid of Winderzz and have never been happier. :)

happysmileman
March 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Haven't used Windows in like a year, but still have it for some reason...

billgoldberg
March 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I voted yes but would like to state that I only dual boot my desktop with Windows (7).

Both laptops run Ubuntu only.

Windows is used for gaming or poker.

jflaker
March 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
what's a virtualized machine?

Find VirtualBox in the package manager.

It allows you to install an OS inside your current OS and boot up a virtual computer.

Great for testing as it DOES NOT impact your current system

Naiki Muliaina
March 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Linux only across 3 hard drives in main PC, 1 in media PC, and my laptop. 100% Windows clean. Though i do dual boot all sorts of Linux distros ^^

executor
March 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
yes looking att windows 7 a bit

Rokurosv
March 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
No, I don't dual boot Ubuntu with Windows. I dual boot Arch/Windows :D

will1911a1
March 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Nope. I use Arch only.

MickS
March 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I do but I don't use XP any more, I only keep it because I payed for it when I bought the PC.You never know, might find a use for it one day.

Mick

hyperdude111
March 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I dual boot two versions of Ubuntu (8.04 and 9.04 alpha) :)

Wow, Me too!

the8thstar
March 7th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Yes I dual boot (see signature). I have triple booted in the past and I may well do it again... I had XP MCE 2005 on when I bought the PC, then I installed Ubuntu 6.10, then upgraded XP MCE to Vista HPE, then installed Solaris 10, then removed Solaris, then OpenSUSE (in and out), then tried OpenSolaris, then tried Mac OSX, then installed Windows 7. I might reinstall Solaris Community Edition.

polkadotteapot
April 5th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I dual boot xp and ubuntu as I'm new to linux and xp was on my machine.

Regarding the virtualisation - could I use that to run osX leopard? Or would I be better setting it up as a triple boot?

carl_pr
April 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM
i have dual boot with vista, i love ubuntu and is my main. I only have windows for visual studio because i need it for university. I dont think there is a good visual basic tool for linux, the rest i use eclipse for c++, java, opengl so i do that in linux.

Also i dont know if this is true but i heard if you install linux in a computer it will lose the warranty with the store, i dont know if this is true or false, can someone tell me? :P if is false ill be one step closer to getting rip of windows lol.

right now my vista is corrupted, icons dissapear, weird stuff happen and i know is not a virus, i hope.

mamamia88
April 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
i dualboot with xp for the occasion i need ms access

hatten
April 5th, 2009, 10:53 PM
dual-boot with arch

wingnux
April 5th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Nope, only Linux Mint on my disk =)

super-sauce
April 6th, 2009, 12:08 AM
dual boot intrepid 8.10 and pirated vista... I haven't used vista in ages, and really the only reason i keep it there is just in case i ever come across a situation where I really really need M$. Which thus far has never happened, WINE is better than windoze anyway.

:twisted:=D>:biggrin:\\:D/\\:D/:popcorn::twisted:

miegiel
April 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I quintuple boot :lolflag: xp32, vista32, vista64, my default linux and an alternative linux (to try other distros and in case I break my default).

kk0sse54
April 6th, 2009, 03:22 AM
No, I quadruple boot between NetBSD, Gentoo, Arch Linux, and Windows XP

FX2908
April 6th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Windows Vista Home Premium and Ubuntu 9.04 here.

BGFG
April 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM
9.04 and Xp here. Using Xp for skype right now.

MarcusA
April 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Vista was preinstalled on my pc, so I don't see the need to throw it away, never know if I might need it again for some reason.

67GTA
April 6th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I keep a small Vista partition on my two HP machines for Bios and firmware updates. They are fairly new. In another year or two, I will nuke them when the bios updates dry up. I never boot in to them anyway.

ninjapirate89
April 6th, 2009, 03:48 AM
My laptop is Linux only but my desktop is dual-booted with xp out of necessity because I have a zune. And my xp installation blue-screened today :(

carl_pr
April 6th, 2009, 04:39 AM
My laptop is Linux only but my desktop is dual-booted with xp out of necessity because I have a zune. And my xp installation blue-screened today :(

same is happening to my vista, a few blue screens and freezing after a few minutes that i turn the pc on. The pc is ok now but also ubuntu freezed so i dont know if was the OS, HDD, heating issues? mmmm i dont know, right now the pc is running by some miracle but i dont know what happened, i ran so many test and hardware seems to be fine.

no idea

glotz
April 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM
When I started using GNU/Linux, I dual booted for some 2-3 months and then I wiped the winders partition as I noticed I never used it any more. That felt so good, I've never looked back, actually using Debian now.

LookTJ
April 6th, 2009, 06:00 AM
In answer to the poll's question, no

In answer to the thread's question, no

doorknob60
April 6th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Yes but I rarely go into Windows. Most of my gaming needs are fulfilled by Linux (SimCity, Runescape, TF2, random flash games).

ghindo
April 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I have two computers: one running Windows XP and one running Ubuntu 9.04.

I guess that's kinda like dual-booting.

Naz_Farooq
April 6th, 2009, 07:15 AM
not dual !
my laptop is tri-boot.
1: Ubuntu 8.10
2: WindowsXP
3: Kubuntu 8.10

3nj0Y
:guitar:

jms1989
April 6th, 2009, 07:23 AM
No, I quadrupal boot windows xp, windows 7, ubuntu 8.10 32, and ubuntu 8.10 64. The latter is my default, I'm only testing win7 so once its license expires, I'm just going to use xp and ubuntu 64. I only keep the 32bit one as a just incase but I have live cds incase I hose my mbr. 7 is on a seperate disk to its mbr is safe but xp and both ubuntu installs exist on my primary disk.

cariboo
April 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I single boot Ubuntu with XP, VIsta and Win 7 in vm's. I also have a partition waiting for Karmic Koala. :)

Jim

Usse
April 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
only ubuntu ^^ i run winXp in a vm when i need ;)

smackheadz
April 6th, 2009, 04:16 PM
just intrepid on my one and only pc :smile:

rizzeh
April 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Yes but I rarely go into Windows. Most of my gaming needs are fulfilled by Linux (SimCity, Runescape, TF2, random flash games).

Are you able to run TF2 at good frame rate with your specs? I have a slightly beefier system and found TF2 wine perfomance poor so am still dual-booting to windows for UT3 and TF2.

Thinking to rob windows of another partition for arch project to see how little i know about linux :D

Simian Man
April 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM
not dual !
my laptop is tri-boot.
1: Ubuntu 8.10
2: WindowsXP
3: Kubuntu 8.10

You know you don't need to dual-boot Ubuntu and Kubuntu? They are the same system.

I single-boot Fedora, haven't used Windows in a long time.

richg
April 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM
NO. One drive, one OS. I have mutiple removable drives. Never, ever and issues. Drives are cheap enough.

Rich

0cton
April 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Actually triple boot :P
Linux Mint, PClinux OS and windows xp,
using xp lately most of the time :(
hey i <3 ubuntu
soon ill make another partition for 9.04 :P

Thelasko
April 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Stupid tax software!

As a side note: While I was doing my taxes, Vista decided that one of its updates had to be installed IMMEDIATELY, and restarted while I was in the middle of doing my taxes.

hessiess
April 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
laptop:
arch (main)
Ubuntu (backup)
XP (Dousen't boot, and hasent for some time)

Desctop:
Ubuntu.

arsenic23
April 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Out of all of my PCs only one has Windows on it (Vista), and I haven't booted into it in months. Its only there incase I need to suddenly test a Windows application in some weird way that I couldn't just install a VM.

So that's 1 out of 9 of my PCs that has any OS that isn't running a linux kernal.

swoll1980
April 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I have Ubuntu 8.10 and a virtual win2k pro

S0VERE1GN
April 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Ubuntu Exclusive on everything, including my PS3 ^_^

But i need to buy another laptop for work with windows on it. :guitar: i like a single boot compy.

RATM_Owns
April 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Yes and no.

I dual boot, but not Ubuntu and Windows.

I dual boot with Arch (http://archlinux.org/) and Gentoo (http://gentoo.org/).

red_Marvin
April 7th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Ubuntu only, as a rationalization; I needed the space, not windows.

Hyper Tails
April 7th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Ubuntu and vista for me baby :guitar:

TheSlipstream
April 7th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Dual boot 8.10 and XP (for games of course, and sometimes Photoshop).

Bungo Pony
April 7th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I use Windows for one purpose: Capturing video from my capture card. When I finally get around to playing with it in Linux, I may be able to quit using Windows entirely.

vieux
April 7th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Main machine = triple boot Ubuntu, Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Beta
Second machine = Windows Vista Ultimate only
Laptop = Linux Mint only.

Most likely will be throwing away vista on the second machine eventually. but i still need it on my primary to cater for my MS needs.

Skorzen
April 7th, 2009, 04:19 AM
No.

At the moment I can say I'm Windows-free at home.
At work, we still use Windows for everything, but I see that times are changing. ;-)

Melk79
April 7th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Dual boot with Vista. I'd like to get it down to just Ubuntu, but I have a few hold out things that I can't get to work under Linux. One is the VCDS software and USB scan tool from Ross-Tech for doing Audi/VW diagnostics. I've found some threads that claim to have figured it out with their serial cable version, but not USB.

JoshuaThomasWise
April 7th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Triboot.
OS X 10.5.4
U.E. 2.1- (which is better than normal Ubuntu 8.10)
and Vista Ultimate.

And the winner is.....LINUX! (yay!)

joninkrakow
April 7th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I said "No" because I triple-boot. Actually, I dual boot, most of the time, only not Windows. I put Windows back on my Wind simply because my new hard drive could hold it. I wanted it for the oddball game and for updating firmware on the hardware. Normally I boot between OSX and Easy Peesy (sic) (Ubuntu for netbooks). So, this poll doesn't accurately reflect my situation, hence a "no" vote.

-Jon

aptperson
April 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I only run Ubuntu atm. It does everything I need, internet and lightening fast Matlab. I will hopefully be installing OSX soon just as an experiment.

McTricks
April 8th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I just use Windows for Programs I can't get to run on ubuntu....

Practical example:

Quake 4 with windows: average fps = 5

Quake 4 with Ubuntu: average fps 35

DivineTemplar
April 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I maintain a Dual Boot of XP and Ubuntu 8.10 on my Thinkpad. I have the XP partition set pretty low though, and I rarely use it these days.

adamlau
April 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM
No way. Linux only. I have enough boxes to install and run whatever OS I need at the time.

whitefort
April 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I have six computers. One is XP only, one is triple boot XP/Ubuntu/Arch, and the rest are pure Ubuntu.

I still dream of the day when I can dump windows forever. At present my relationship with windows is like the 'relationship' a schoolboy has with the naughty magazines under his bed. He doesn't talk about them, and he's certainly not proud of them, but he still finds them... uh, useful... from time to time.

Shpongle
April 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM
i just have ubuntu 8.10 with xp on virtual box for college, i can work between the two seamlessly and linux stays in control. the integration is fantastic. the developers did a great job on virtual box =D>

Shpongle
April 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I have six computers. One is XP only, one is triple boot XP/Ubuntu/Arch, and the rest are pure Ubuntu.

I still dream of the day when I can dump windows forever. At present my relationship with windows is like the 'relationship' a schoolboy has with the naughty magazines under his bed. He doesn't talk about them, and he's certainly not proud of them, but he still finds them... uh, useful... from time to time.

lol

card_ace
April 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
yeah i have a dual boot with XP pro, i'm ashamed to say. I just started using Ubuntu about 6 months ago and in the last 2 months i've only gone into windows like 3 times. i'm almost there! :D

Johnsie
April 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Why limit youself to just one OS when your machine is capable of running more than one? Sure that only limits what software applications are available to you. I choose to dual boot because I want to have choice. Single booting Windows or Linux would restrict that choice.

2cute4u
April 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
dual boot Mac OS X/ubuntu. Ive never used windows except for web browsing on someone elses machine, everything is backwards on windows.

khelben1979
April 8th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I chose not to vote.

Debian Lenny and Windows XP. (The boot priority in BIOS needs to get fixed each time Linux boots up or else it does not work)

hedwig4
April 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Right now my PC dual boots XP and Debian Stable. I only dual boot because I need XP for remote desktop to my work PC. Actually I use XP in VirtualBox now so I don't even need to dual boot. Looks like I just talked myself into reusing the Windows hard drive in another machine. :D