PDA

View Full Version : Could canonical make their own click to buy app store?

xir_
March 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I'm curious if this could be done seeing as a lot of ground work is already there for simple installations.

Would it be possible for canonical to expand the current repositories to include a paid applications option? I'm not necessarily suggesting non open source software but more wondering if it was possible, or if any of you thought it would work?

xir

NintendoTogepi
March 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM
They certainly could do it, but they shouldn't and they wouldn't.

.nedberg
March 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM
They certainly could do it, but they shouldn't and they wouldn't.

Why shouldn't they? I don't think there is anything wrong in paying for an application.

Swarms
March 7th, 2009, 12:19 PM
You can already buy software through their store, I am not sure how its aquired for the user, but its some kind of a download.

But a steam like system, where you could buy software like games could be great the Canonical economy and convince other companies to publish for this operating system too.

cb951303
March 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM
there is nothing wrong with commercial applications. but in order for canonical to open a commercial store, first, they would need applications :D
and I don't think canonical has intention to be a software company.

zekopeko
March 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
there is nothing wrong with commercial applications. but in order for canonical to open a commercial store, first, they would need applications :D
and I don't think canonical has intention to be a software company.

then why are they developing Ubuntu (software) if they aren't a software company? and let's not forget Launchpad.

cb951303
March 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM
then why are they developing Ubuntu (software) if they aren't a software company? and let's not forget Launchpad.

I knew someone would ask this. what I meant was canonical is more than a software company. a typical software company's aim is to develop applications and sell them. canonical has no such intention.

zekopeko
March 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I knew someone would ask this. what I meant was canonical is more than a software company. a typical software company's aim is to develop applications and sell them. canonical has no such intention.

yes they have. they don't want to sell the sofware per se, they want to sell support for it.

cb951303
March 7th, 2009, 03:15 PM
yes they have. they don't want to sell the sofware per se, they want to sell support for it.

do you have any idea what we're talking about?
OP is asking if it's possible for canonical to make a click to buy app store. Unless support is an application, your comments are meaningless.

linuxisevolution
March 7th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I believe this is the whole point of open source??

wildman4god
March 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I could see conical doing something like a game store, if a ton of games started to come out for Linux, however they probably won't because windows has tons of games and they don't have an app store that centralizes all windows software, app stores are for mobile devices to make it more convenient to find and get apps as surfing the web on a mobile device isn't as quick as it is on a desktop/laptop.

.nedberg
March 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I could see conical doing something like a game store, if a ton of games started to come out for Linux, however they probably won't because windows has tons of games and they don't have an app store that centralizes all windows software, app stores are for mobile devices to make it more convenient to find and get apps as surfing the web on a mobile device isn't as quick as it is on a desktop/laptop.

The way I see it an "App store" is much the same as a repository, only with software you pay for. Are you saying there is no need for a central repository for Ubuntu? Windows don't have one of those... I still see it as a reason to use Linux. Finding and installing apps is so much easier. You also get the added benefit that the software is tested and Bad-ware free!

Swarms
March 7th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Who said that Canonical had to develop the applications. Does Valve, the company behind Steam, make all the games they sell?

cb951303
March 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Who said that Canonical had to develop the applications. Does Valve, the company behind Steam, make all the games they sell?

no one. I said they would need applications. I didn't say they have to develop it.

xir_
March 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Well i was looking at it as a source of revenue. Similar to the apple model, only allow approved software in the repository and ask 15% (for example) commission for sales through that portal.

I just finished using an iphone (i.e its broke now), and just got the G1 (much better), app stores are an amazingly useful thing and a very good way for developers to make money (link (http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/1413551.html)). In fact I'm now considering writing my fist commercial program for the g1 to see firstly if can do it and secondly if i can make a little cash before i start my phd. If i could do something similar on ubuntu that would be great.

Apple, android and now blackberry have app stores. I cant see why this couldn't easily be implemented into ubuntu. Biggest benefit is that the software would be easy to update and distribute.

Ultimately I would like to see ubuntu become profitable for canonical, simply because it would guarantee its survival in the long run.

I suppose the biggest question is the open source issue. would everything have to be opensource? personally i would like that, but i could see how it could be a problem for companies.

Maybe it could be also tied into the bounty system, sort of like using it as an escrow service and distributor in one?

ssam
March 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
there is already click'n'run http://cnr.com/ with a mix of foss, freeware and pay-for apps. not made by canonical, but i'm not sure that makes much difference

but no one seems very interested, apart from some linspire-haters.

aktiwers
March 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM
They could create a "donate" button in Synaptics.. that would be cool. So that you could donate to different projects.

xir_
March 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
They could create a "donate" button in Synaptics.. that would be cool. So that you could donate to different projects.

That could be something to add to brainstorm.

mehaga
March 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Good idea. But, more importantly, OP's idea is brilliant, I think. I've been thinking about ways to get more apps for linux, and app store seems like the best way to do it. 10 points, OP! :)

cmat
March 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
do you have any idea what we're talking about?
OP is asking if it's possible for canonical to make a click to buy app store. Unless support is an application, your comments are meaningless.

What? They do provide in-house applications that comes with the support package or can be purchased separately. Ever read about Landscape? It is available though their store, or the partners repo (I think).

http://www.canonical.com/projects/landscape

issih
March 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I like the donate idea, as for an app store..we pretty much have that with the add/remove front end utility for synaptic. You browse for an application by category or search, select the ones you want and hit install.

It basically is an application store model, the only thing that is different is that they are all free. Adding some protocol to allow developers to charge might be worth it, but my experience of such stores (via my ipod) is that they are mostly full of very low quality tat going for a nominal fee. Some kind of shopfront of commercial software available for ubuntu might be useful, if for nothing else than to promote what is out there. A generic app store has difficulties that need to be thought about imo...not to say it wouldn't work, just that there are thorns hidden away in there.

ShotgunNinja
March 9th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Click to download app store, you mean?

Oh yeah, they have that. Never mind. :lolflag:

xir_
March 10th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I like the donate idea, as for an app store..we pretty much have that with the add/remove front end utility for synaptic. You browse for an application by category or search, select the ones you want and hit install.

It basically is an application store model, the only thing that is different is that they are all free. Adding some protocol to allow developers to charge might be worth it, but my experience of such stores (via my ipod) is that they are mostly full of very low quality tat going for a nominal fee. Some kind of shopfront of commercial software available for ubuntu might be useful, if for nothing else than to promote what is out there. A generic app store has difficulties that need to be thought about imo...not to say it wouldn't work, just that there are thorns hidden away in there.

my main concern is how suppliers would respond to opensource requirements. Additionally if it could be seen as market abuse by the EU (considering the browser wars and media player fine MS were hit with).

Low quality programs are fine by me, because even if its a silly game it still might be enough to get some small Linux companies off the ground and raise awareness.