PDA

View Full Version : Hosting from home

GreenDance
March 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hi, I was wondering if any members were hosting their own website(s) from home, if so can you please post a specification of your server, and the speed of your isp.

I plan on hosting from home soon :)

Thank You :)

GreenDance
March 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
bump up ):P

kg4tah
March 7th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I would suggest you download and start reading page 14 of this months full circle magazine ( issue 22). It goes into detail on how to install a LAMP server on your ubuntu system. It is as easy as eating a pie, LOL.

I have 8 Meg down speed and 512 k up speed. I currently do not run a server however I have in the past (both a web server and quake 3 game server). For no more traffic than I expected my 512k upload speed was all I needed for bandwidth however if you plan on having a high traffic server then the more upload bandwidth the better off you will be.

One point of caution, many isp's specifically prohibit running ANY server on your home system. Some isp's run bots to scan the entire network for web servers and will send you a terms of service violation letter if one is located on your computer.

I never experienced that with roadrunner in my area however I saw in different forums for other roadrunner areas where this had been an issue for some.

OffHand
March 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
OS X Server 10.5... 16Mbit/2Mbit

Dual Core G5 with 4GB memory and 500GB hard disk.