PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] qemu

gishaust
March 7th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I am trying to install ubuntu on to my usb using qemu so that I can use ubuntu at school. The problem is I can only find information on how it install qemu using the windows. I have been to the quemu site a I don't understand the documentation.

does anyone know how to install qemu on a usb stick from linux because I have no windows machines in any more.

labinnsw
March 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Not sure why you need qemu to install Ubuntu on the usb stick. Is that what you want to do, or do you just want to install Ubuntu on the usb stick?

gishaust
March 7th, 2009, 08:16 AM
what I want to do is have ubuntu run in a virtual environment from the usb stick. so that windows is running and ubuntu is running at the same time. from what I have read installing quemu on the usb will do that. sorry about the spelling.

labinnsw
March 7th, 2009, 08:26 AM
In that case what you need to do is install qemu and Ubuntu on windows before making the ISO image. Then use that image to make your usb OS.

I am hoping you know how to do all of this, if not, I can help you find some good links.

gishaust
March 7th, 2009, 08:33 AM
so are you saying that i need a windows machine to do this install

labinnsw
March 7th, 2009, 08:36 AM
If it can be done otherwise, It would come as a surprise to me but one I would welcome.

gishaust
March 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM
thanks

labinnsw
March 7th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I think it can actually be done if you have enough disc space both on the USB and your PC. First install a virtual Windows on Ubuntu, then inside the virtual Windows install a virtual Ubuntu. I will give you the link to install QEMU on Ubuntu in a minute.

labinnsw
March 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Here it is http://www.ubuntugeek.com/qemu-machine-emulator-and-virtualizer-setup-in-ubuntu.html

Or you can use Synaptic

gishaust
March 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
thanks worked well