PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me Find a Router!

kamitsukai
March 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I've decided to ditch my useless Orange broadband Inventel Livebox ADSL router and so I wondered if any of you could help me find a new one, preferably below £100 and available within the UK. Some of the features it would need to have are

Wireless N (Not completely necessary but nice to future proof:))

Some way to limit a connected PC's bandwidth Usage (e.g. maximum download of say 5gb a week)

Also Can someone explain to me how WiMAX broadband works? as currently a small local ISP is offering a very competitive deal of 20mb/s WiMAX broadband (although not available where I am yet!) Would I be likely to receive anywhere near 20mb/s on an actual download or not?

mips
March 7th, 2009, 02:56 AM
What's with font, it's annoying?

wolfen69
March 7th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Also Can someone explain to me how WiMAX broadband works?

Wimax (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wimax)

Kareeser
March 7th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Why go N? Your computers'll need to have N wireless adapters too. However, if you want to futureproof, that's great :)

If you're okay with not, I wholeheartedly recommend the WRT54GL. It's Linux-capable, and has a proven track record :)

bsharp
March 7th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Wimax (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wimax)

That is ingenious.

As for the OP's question, if you can give up the wireless n requirement I would go with one of the linksys routers that lets you do the custom firmware because I don't know of any that allow you to restrict bandwidth usage other than the enterprise-grade routers.

northwestuntu
March 7th, 2009, 06:08 AM
i just bought a asus this week that allows you to load custom firmware like tomato. i tried a new linksys after using them for many years and find the new ones to be complete crap!!! i like the older linksys models better.

not to mention i only paid $30 from newegg for the asus and i paid $90 for the linksys that i end up returning.

i would find one that loads 3rd part firmware and for a good price.

LookTJ
March 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I recommend this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320030) over the Linksys WRT54GL.

handy
March 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM
On a different tack, you could very easily build an industrial strength IPCop (http://www.ipcop.org/) based firewall/router (plus a pile of other services inherent & available via add-on) from an old PII/PIII box sourced for next to nothing from the rubbish dump or local recycler's.

I use it & it does a superb job for me at a total cost of $5- !

You still need to use your old modem, or configure your modem/router's router to use bridge mode which bypasses the router completely.

Also, you can configure multiple NIC's be they wireless &/or cabled, which gives the IPCop a lot of room to move in the very easy configuration.

smartboyathome
March 7th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I use a WRT54G2, as it was what was available for me at the time. It has proven good to me, I haven't needed custom firmware. It didn't come with external antennae, though, so if that is something you need (for example, for a directional antenna) I would recommend staying away from newer WRT models.

FuturePilot
March 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I've been very happy with my Linksys WRT54GS(v7). I've had it over a year now and never had any problems with it. I recently put dd-wrt on it and it's totally amazing. :D
Only cost me about $50.

ugm6hr
March 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Out of interest, what's so useless about the Orange router?

I appreciate it doesn't have the features you want, but home routers won't limit bandwidth, and -G wireless is still the most common.

Lord DarkPat
March 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT. It's unbeatable. It's also friendly with overclocking the transmit powers, but one must not overwork it. I got mine for $20, and it's got a 2 month uptime.

kamitsukai
March 7th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Out of interest, what's so useless about the Orange router?

I appreciate it doesn't have the features you want, but home routers won't limit bandwidth, and -G wireless is still the most common.

I't will disconnect from my pc (wired connection) for no apparent reason and it will also drop wireless signal strength drastically sometimes another reason is that the range of the wireless signal is useless

I wanted to go wireless n as I'm getting a new laptop which I can upgrade to wireless N for only a tenner