PDA

View Full Version : KinK non-linear editor step 2.

dragos240
March 7th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Okay, so a while back (a few weeks ago), I decided to start the KinK project. If you don't know what it is, it's a non-linear editor for linux, just like sony vegas. So to help it I started a SourceForge account, and created this project, right now, nothing has been written, i can't really decide on major ideas without the communities help, so who wants to help collect ideas for this? Please list them here, i will post the final ideas on my forum in an announcment, then it is on to pre-alpha.

tadcan
March 7th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I had a what if idea about this.

What if you were to create the UI first. So the window the buttons and some sample media to practice with. People could then tell you how friendly or easy it needs to be to use.

Is there a reason you are not going to contribute to an existing project.

Bölvağur
March 7th, 2009, 02:05 AM
What if you were to create the UI first. So the window the buttons and some sample media to practice with. People could then tell you how friendly or easy it needs to be to use.

That might be the best choice, to make a fork for cinirella (I never spell this correctly :()

There is one sentence that is quite good guidline for what you will want to follow: if you add too many buttons on the remote, you will stop knowing how to change channels.

dragos240
March 7th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Good ideas. And to answer tadcan's question, becuase they don't share the same consept, most Linux video editors out there right now, are very simple, kdenlive has some effects, but still doesn't share what i want to accomplish.

EDIT: And also what would you like the UI to be like, i want this project to be open source, but to also have some sort of friendly default UI to it.

EDIT: I should also mention that the project is going to be developed in java.

aeacides
March 7th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Not quite sure Java is the best choice ... it's quite slow/heavy. A good mix of Python and C++ would be IMO the best choice since video editor needs lots of controls.

Warpnow
March 7th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Don't go simple!

Oh dear god there are so many linux clones of Windows Movie Maker I want to cry...

We need a REAL video editting app on the level of avid, premiere, or Final Cut Pro. Mainactor was the closest we've had, but its gone now...

Just mimic avid's UI. Its really nice.

bsharp
March 7th, 2009, 05:59 AM
We need a REAL video editting app on the level of avid, premiere, or Final Cut Pro. Mainactor was the closest we've had, but its gone now...

What about Cinelerra? Granted it is buggy but once you get used to the UI it's quite powerful. I think the Cinelerra3/Lumira project is going to fix the bugs and better its reputation.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 7th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Don't go simple!

Oh dear god there are so many linux clones of Windows Movie Maker I want to cry...

Just mimic avid's UI. Its really nice.Blender acts brilliantly as a non-linear video editor. Check out this blog post: http://luisbg.blogalia.com//historias/61983 (And other posts on those blogs; their authors are all big on the topic).

You may want to take a look at it for this project, since Blender has a fantastic core. (One which, naturally, could provide you with a very mature system for 3D effects). Extra love for video editing components could provide some extra integration and general coolness for future releases without creating Yet Another video editor.

(Troy, by the way, is a constantly inspiring free software artwork genius (http://troy-sobotka.blogspot.com/2009/02/start-countdown.html))

aeacides
March 7th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Well, Cinerella is really buggy, like you've just said. We need also something plugged in with Gimp (or even better, Photoshop ~dreaming~) to do some motion graphic like AFX.

Anyways ... keep dreaming, it's so much work, people started editors, and when it comes to go over the MovieMaker step, it's too much to handle. You need also a skilled team ...

Dha, it's a good idea anyway, keep it up ;- )

aeacides
March 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Blender acts brilliantly as a non-linear video editor. Check out this blog post: http://luisbg.blogalia.com//historias/61983

You may want to take a look at it for this project, since Blender has a fantastic core. (One which, naturally, could provide you with a very mature system for 3D effects). Extra love for video editing components could provide some extra integration and general coolness for future releases without creating Yet Another video editor.

Indeed, it's quite nice. So doing a plug in for blender could be more affordable :D

tadcan
March 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM
The argument of complexity over simplicity has been had before. There was another forum member who was studying the code to create a Vegas type video editor. Vegas was seen as the balancing point between the two.

I edit with avid, but I also studied editing. So asking me what I want will skew it to complexity.

What I also need is a easy work flow. I have 32 hours of footage which will have to be edited down into a 1 hour piece. All the footage, sequences etc need to be at my finger tips. I have that with avid.

This is what I need/get with avid.

It has a master bin aka folder. I put all of the master footage in one bin. Then I break it down into clips stored in another bin. Then sequences etc etc. The master bin has my list.

I also need two monitors one to view footage, which I can then select the part I want and put it on the timeline.

I also need multiple video and audio tracks to layer sound and video.

The reason editing software is expensive is all the extras like effects, colour correction etc.

So taking the colour correction and effects from blender would help.

Honestly I think this project needs an investor to pump a few million into. It is allot of work.

Delever
March 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Yeah it indeed is.

Ideas are overrated, work is underrated.