PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Blog 4 Students Bad idea or Good idea?

shateredsoul
March 7th, 2009, 01:21 AM
http://ubuntu4students.wordpress.com/

I started this blog making it as easy as possible for people like me to switch to ubuntu. I hope to include updates that would be helpfu mostly to students (such as running statistics software, installing "r", etc..)

Has this been done? Sometimes things are spread all over several posts.. which makes it hard to figure things out.

Do you think this would be helpful?

-shatered

jflaker
March 7th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Getting the word out is helpful. Helping new users through switching, priceless.

Keep it up.

shateredsoul
March 7th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Getting the word out is helpful. Helping new users through switching, priceless.

Keep it up.

Thanks! By the way I like the signature line (or whatever it's called). I had spent hours configuring my system only to kill the sound, usb, the splash screen etc etc... when trying to make my vbox recognize my ipod.

pt123
March 7th, 2009, 03:44 AM
3 column layout makes the text unreadable

shateredsoul
March 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hi.. I was wondering. Does anyone know how I can make a 700 x 200 image? I'm trying to customize my header in the blog.

Also would anyone know anything about graphic design? I'm trying to design an image that conveys a education related.. maybe a picture of people studying at a cafe? any ideas?

ugm6hr
March 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Does anyone know how I can make a 700 x 200 image?

GIMP allows you to resize images, or just resize the canvas (i.e. crop).

As for graphic design.... no idea. A modified photo would suffice, I suspect.

Nepherte
March 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Just wanted to say it's a great idea to specifically target students.

rudihawk
March 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Awesome blog man!

shateredsoul
March 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks! I'm probably going to try changing the main image later on. If anyone has any other tips or suggestions (writing, design, html, topics) that would be great!

shateredsoul
March 9th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Any ideas on how to get virtual box running windows xp to recognize usb device? I fixed it before I had to reinstall ubuntu but I can't seem to get it to work on the new virtual box.

I'm making a guide on this ..but I need help.

binbash
March 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
nice blog : )

Joeb454
March 9th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Any ideas on how to get virtual box running windows xp to recognize usb device? I fixed it before I had to reinstall ubuntu but I can't seem to get it to work on the new virtual box.

I'm making a guide on this ..but I need help.

http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/04/howto-install-virtualbox-in-hardy-heron.html

That's how I get it working every time :) (even though the post says on Hardt, it works fine on Intrepid (8.10) for me)