PDA

View Full Version : Problem with internt sharing guide

Skaterguy
March 6th, 2009, 10:31 PM
ok first off i have ubuntu 8.10. I what trying to fallow the guide but when i typed in (# ifconfig eth0 ip) but all the came up was ip: unknown host. I am tired of MS windows and want to use other means. but i am 100% linux illiterate. wtf do i do now.

Iowan
March 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM
The # was there to show that input was from a terminal. ip should be an IP address. Substitute your IP address instead of 192.168.1.4 when you enter the following in a terminal:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.4

Skaterguy
March 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
ok that explains alot thank you. sorry for being a nub. now i just fallowed your instructions and i got this message
dman@dman-desktop:~$ ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.254
SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied

should i use su mode to do this or what.

btw way i connect to a wireless network with my computer and another computer does not have a wireless card. i have to share the Internet using mine as the host and i link my pc to a linksys router and then the other computer connects to the router. i hate to say but the one thing i like about MS is that there is a easy to use network wizard so all i have to do is point and click.

curadebt
March 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Try to find useful information from internet instead of buying guides.

Skaterguy
March 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM
thats what im trying to accomplish here try and get some tips to help me move things along. and believe me i try to google everything. but i no nothing about linux im so used to xp its almost trying to learn a new language alot of time and patience.

Gary13579
March 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM
ok that explains alot thank you. sorry for being a nub. now i just fallowed your instructions and i got this message
dman@dman-desktop:~$ ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.254
SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied

should i use su mode to do this or what.

btw way i connect to a wireless network with my computer and another computer does not have a wireless card. i have to share the Internet using mine as the host and i link my pc to a linksys router and then the other computer connects to the router. i hate to say but the one thing i like about MS is that there is a easy to use network wizard so all i have to do is point and click.

Then you should really go back to Windows.

Also, permission denied errors can almost always be overridden by typing "sudo" before the command.

ugm6hr
March 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Couple of points:

1. What guide are you using?

2. Use sudo at the start of the line when entering commands that require super-user permission.

Iowan
March 8th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Oops, my bad... sometimes I forget about sudo until I try a command and get the Permission Denied message. You done good (butchered English intentional) to seek information via forum - sorry I led you astray. Linux does require you to "intervene" a bit when setting stuff up. Ordinarily, that's a good thing - it lets you "Have it your way" (sorry Burger King), but sometimes that means getting your hands a little dirty.