PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freezing during instalation

raulozzi
March 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
So i got Ubuntu 8.10 off of eBay. The disc works fine, but when I'm installing it, the program freezes unless I hold down the CTRl button (or any button, I've just only held down CTRL) Even now when I boot it up or restart/shut down I have to hold down a button otherwise it stops. What could cause this? I put it on a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT100P laptop and it's Ubuntu 8.10 32 bit.

wpshooter
March 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Why don't you just download & burn a new version of either Gutsy or preferably Hardy or Intrepid and redo the installation from scratch ?

Make sure that the first things that you do BEFORE you do the installation is to run the Ubuntu CD verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu.

raulozzi
March 7th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I will have to check the listing again but I thought it said something about Intrepid Ibex or something to that matter. If not where could I get those, just off of like download.com? Or straight from ubuntu? And do Hardy and Intrepid have basically the same setup and operation as Ubuntu 8.10? Sorry for not knowing much, this is my first time with anything except Windows.

wpshooter
March 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I will have to check the listing again but I thought it said something about Intrepid Ibex or something to that matter. If not where could I get those, just off of like download.com? Or straight from ubuntu? And do Hardy and Intrepid have basically the same setup and operation as Ubuntu 8.10? Sorry for not knowing much, this is my first time with anything except Windows.

Just Google Ubuntu and then download the latest official release version from there. If you are in the U.S. I have found that the best site/server to download from is Perdue University.