PDA

View Full Version : Which UPS for Ubuntu Intrepid?

zika
March 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM
which is the UPS that works well with Ubuntu Intrepid 64-bit?
Mustek, APC, MGE, ... are available in my country.

89vision
March 6th, 2009, 09:28 PM
It shouldn't matter what OS you're running. I've had good luck with a cheap APC I bought.

kestrel1
March 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
APC are good UPS's normally. Having said that mine has just died on me & I need to replace it, but it is a few years old now.
The OS doesn't matter unless you want to connect the UPS so that you can manage your power settings. This is normally Windows software that is supplied. This is normally for larger UPS's for servers & not normal consumer units.

zika
March 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM
what about some sort of automated shutdown?

can UPS failure be a risk for a computer?

Kareeser
March 6th, 2009, 09:44 PM
APC units have that feature, but as far as I know, that only comes bundled with Windows drivers...

kestrel1
March 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
APC units have that feature, but as far as I know, that only comes bundled with Windows drivers...
Yes you are right. I have a few large 1500va units at work & they are only supplied with Windows drivers to enable the UPS to communicate with the servers. The baby 325va unit I have at home is an APC BE325, but it does not come with this feature. I think you would be hard pushed to find this feature on a normal consumer unit. The unit I have is currently around £43.00 or more, so my replacement will have to wait a while :lolflag:

cariboo
March 6th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I would suggest APC. There is a package in the repositories, apcupsd, to manage you ups. See screenshot. There is also a plugin for webmin that gives you the same info.

Jim

zika
March 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
thank You guys, I will decide soon and I will let You know, if I do, how it went ...

HavocXphere
March 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
There is a specific driver for the APCs.

I'd go with apc anyway. They are the easiest to get battery replacements for.

mips
March 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
They are the easiest to get battery replacements for.

Most UPS's use off the shelf batteries so this is a non issue. Please tell me you are not buying your batteries from a APC dealer as you will pay a higher price. Sourcing batteries from a battery retailer is the better way to go and will save you lots of money.

zika
March 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I'm thinking about MGE Nova 625VA. as far as I can see it is USB and has a sw that works with Ubuntu:mgeops-psp. Ii is APC in disguises. :)