PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Feel About Esperanto?

Abras
March 6th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Firstly, be sure to at least glance at this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto) if you don't know what Esperanto is. Then share your thoughts about it here. See, I've been learning Esperanto for the last few weeks and I was wondering how you average people from around the world (albeit maybe a little dorkier and more into FOSS/computers than most) feel about it.

Love it? Hate it? Or just plain indifferent? I'm particularly interested to see how the various software-related beliefs you guys have mesh with the Esperanto community and its ideology. I have my guesses but I'll save them for later. Until then, let your opinions be known!

cardinals_fan
March 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1085426

blueshiftoverwatch
March 6th, 2009, 09:07 PM
For practicality purposes I like the idea of having a common language that everyone in the world could learn to speak/write in as a second language to eliminate the need for anyone to learn more than one secondary language. Language is something that arose out of the necessity for primitive hunter-gatherers to form groups and communicate effectively with their fellow tribesmen. Over the years, especially over the last hundred years we've seen the world becoming a much "smaller" place because of the increases in trade and communication among various groups of people.

It's entirely possible that in time out of desire for increased productivity people will adopt a universal secondary language. But I don't think we're going to see it happening in our lifetimes. Most people only need to communicate with people living in close proximity to them. Which is why a far greater percentage of people living in Europe know more than one language while a comparatively much smaller percentage of people living in America know more than one language. People learn foreign languages out of necessity. In Europe if you walked several hundred miles in one direction you would come across people speaking many different languages. In America you could walk several thousand miles from coast to coast and expect to not encounter anyone who didn't know how to speak English. So most people aren't going to lean a secondary language unless it's a major inconvenience for them not to do so.

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that one or two languages fall out of use every day. Assuming that that's not a bogus statistic if that trend continues most Humans might be speaking the same language or a few main languages in a few hundred years.

paullinux
March 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Esperanto is like latin: a non spoken language... And that is a big hurdle to take if you want to promote it! No-one uses it, and don't feel the need to either...

In principal it is an easy language to learn and a good start for learning another language (french, italian, ...)

But an artificial language will never catch on. Also, unlike a natural language, it has very little incentive to progress or evolve. Just think about all the new words that have come up the last years in the computerworld only and have become widespread in every language.

Face it: English (although a very difficult language to write) is the world language. Even the fact that this forums main language is ...english... proves my point.

Esperanto is a bit like math: a nice theoretical concept with little practical day to day use.

(sorry for my english: my native language is dutch...);)

blackened
March 6th, 2009, 09:16 PM
What's with the sudden interest in Lojban and Esperanto? Did Ars or Slashdot run an article on them or something?