PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia Twinview - independent desktops?

whosmatt
March 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Not sure what has changed, was using 8.04 with a 7200GS card with no problems, now i have upgraded to a new workstation with a Quadro NVS290 and when I enable Twinview I get one giant stretched desktop which I do not want.

Basically I need to be able to maximize a window and have it maximize to one or the other display, but not stretch across both. this has to be simple, and i can slap an ATI card in my workstation, install the proprietary driver and it will do just this, but the nvidia card is stumping me.

Anyone?

thanks!

cybergalvez
March 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Not sure what has changed, was using 8.04 with a 7200GS card with no problems, now i have upgraded to a new workstation with a Quadro NVS290 and when I enable Twinview I get one giant stretched desktop which I do not want.

Basically I need to be able to maximize a window and have it maximize to one or the other display, but not stretch across both. this has to be simple, and i can slap an ATI card in my workstation, install the proprietary driver and it will do just this, but the nvidia card is stumping me.

Anyone?

thanks!

Do you have one of the screens set as the primary screen?

whosmatt
March 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Do you have one of the screens set as the primary screen?

I do -- Changing it doesn't seem to affect anything at all. Also, the settings don't survive a reboot.

whosmatt
March 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Scratch that. I got it to work by having nvidia-settings replace rather than append the xorg.conf... that and a restart seem to fix things.