PDA

View Full Version : Had to post this. It amused me anyway.

marco123
March 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I was in Toyz-r-us in the U.K (kind of like Walmart, but with mainly toys) looking at the Linux netbooks when I came across one running Windows: see screenshot.

Needless to say I was a bit more impressed with the Linux ones which had a desktop with icons and - ironically - a non command line looking interface.

A couple in front of me just moved straight on to the Linux one next to it which was working fine. Best marketing Linux could have hoped for.:D

Cheers, Marco.

odda
March 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
:D music to my ears

Swagman
March 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM
lol

Win !!

or maybe... Epic... Phail !!

:D

Thelasko
March 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
FYI Toys R Us exists in the USA too.

P.S. Here's a list of countries with Toys R Us (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toys_r_us#International_locations).

marco123
March 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
:lolflag:

Didn't know that.

Swagman
March 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
One of those Uk "Babies R Us" is here in Peterborough where I live.

this is new york not l.a.
March 6th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I was actually at a toys r us near me and the windows version of the eee pc had a similar screen and half the keys were busted off the keyboard like someone hit it with a hammer

marco123
March 6th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I was actually at a toys r us near me and the windows version of the eee pc had a similar screen and half the keys were busted off the keyboard like someone hit it with a hammer

Trying to get it to work no doubt.:D

Swagman
March 6th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Couldn't find the "Any" key

Ben Crisford
March 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Trying to get it to work no doubt.:D

Haha! :p

That picture really is the most annoying, evil, frustrating screen in the history of mankind. And the saddest thing is, that it happens several times a day with windows.

swoll1980
March 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Haha! :p
And the saddest thing is, that it happens several times a day with windows.

I've never seen that screen in some 6 years of using XP

bakedbeans4life
March 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM

That's one way to security harden a Windows machine. If you can't use it, so can nobody else.

xpod
March 6th, 2009, 09:40 PM
That picture really is the most annoying, evil, frustrating screen in the history of mankind.

It does/should only take a minute or two to fix though....with a Live cd handy of course.Might take a bit longer with a Windows cd but it`s still easily fixable.

And the saddest thing is, that it happens several times a day with windows.

I quite believe it does...if your Windows install has not been given the tender loving care it needs.;)

ivaarsen
March 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
It does/should only take a minute or two to fix though....with a Live cd handy of course.Might take a bit longer with a Windows cd but it`s still easily fixable.

Aha! Until you boot back up and it starts complaining about another file missing or corrupted. Then another and another.

marco123
March 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
...if your Windows install has not been given the tender loving care it needs.

LOL. I like the idea of having to pussyfoot around your computer just for it to work.:)

I'm running Windows 7 and Jaunty in virtual machines, downloading with Transmission, listening to internet radio and posting this at the same time using over 60% RAM and 80% on both CPU cores, at 13 days uptime. :) Hope my computer doesn't stop working. (Not likely.)

Cheers, Marco.

Edit: Added screenshot.

nowin4me
March 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Needless to say I was a bit more impressed with the Linux ones which had a desktop with icons and - ironically - a non command line looking interface.

A couple in front of me just moved straight on to the Linux one next to it which was working fine. Best marketing Linux could have hoped for.:D

Cheers, Marco.

Sweet memories... Maybe not...

So that's what they mean by "Windows bashing"?!

Couldn't find the "Any" key

Where is the "any" key anyway?

cmay
March 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Where is the "any" key anyway?
ctrl + alt + f8 + space and then press return.

ivaarsen
March 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
ctrl + alt + f8 + space and then press return.

'Any' key. Not 'any key'. Oh snap! Am I on to something?

xpod
March 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Aha! Until you boot back up and it starts complaining about another file missing or corrupted. Then another and another.

sfc /scannow or a repair install mabey?
Failing that it`s mabey time to use that Live cd for it`s original purpose:D
All i`m really saying is Windows is not hard to get running well and keep running well...and thats coming from someone who only used it for 4 months before discovering Ubuntu and would never dream of switching back.

beercz
March 6th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I have to say I am getting rather bored with all the Windows bashing in these forums.

Can't we find anything better to talk about?

nowin4me
March 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I have to say I am getting rather bored with all the Windows bashing in these forums.

Can't we find anything better to talk about?

Says your signature!...

beercz
March 6th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Says your signature!...
Yeah meant to have changed it ages ago!!

Done that now - thanks for the reminder :-)

hyperdude111
March 6th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I've never seen that screen in some 6 years of using XP

I have seen thas screen so many times i want to cry......

Vince4Amy
March 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Get an Acer Aspire One and Install Ubuntu 8.04 and apply all updates and get a Kernel Panic on boot. Then you can have Ubuntu do the same thing. Remarkable isn't it. It amused me too.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-meta/+bug/322867

Seems like "The Perfect" Ubuntu a lot of users make it out to be is no better and I'm pretty sure that Windows Netbook pictured was made that way in result of someone messing about with it when it was logged on at the store and NOT the result of an update.

Stop The Windows Bashing

marco123
March 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Get an Acer Aspire One and Install Ubuntu 8.04 and apply all updates and get a Kernel Panic on boot. Then you can have Ubuntu do the same thing. Remarkable isn't it. It amused me too.

Seems like "The Perfect" Ubuntu a lot of users make it out to be is no better and I'm pretty sure that Windows Netbook pictured was made that way in result of someone messing about with it when it was logged on at the store and NOT the result of an update.

Stop The Windows Bashing

Probably, but only because no files are protected. Someone probably just deleted a few system files for fun.

They hadn't done it to any of the Linux ones though??:)

Cheers, Marco.

bakedbeans4life
March 7th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Stop The Windows Bashing

I doubt even Microsoft holds to the same ideals you do. "Stop The Windows Bashing[/QUOTE]", do they not bash Linux. Are they not now pursuing Tom-Tom for indirectly using Linux? Did they not once tried to acquire Tom-Tom, but where rebuffed?

And before you say they used FAT technology without paying. So do many companies, but they are not as high a profile as Tom-Tom.

If you have grown up using Microsoft and ONLY Microsoft, then you are going to pick apart every sentence I say.

I could say the proof of what I say is only a "Google" away, if you care to search, then you would question as to why I chose Google in the first place.

Microsoft knows the people that need Microsoft, and they thank you.

Vince4Amy
March 7th, 2009, 12:51 AM
If you have grown up using Microsoft and ONLY Microsoft, then you are going to pick apart every sentence I say.

I've been using Linux for 8 years. Using Windows only for games and certain Windows only applications. I've even linked to the bug report just to stop this crap that only Windows has problems.

marco123
March 7th, 2009, 12:53 AM
It's not really a Windows bashing thread, more of a pro Linux thread.;)

The only reason that people like me, who have no problems running Ubuntu, sometimes "make fun" of Windows is for the same reason that people used to make fun of Skodas in the 80s: because it's not very good and falls apart after a while.

Chill out. Windows IS a joke, just not a very funny one.:)

Cheers, Marco.

kidux
March 7th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I've been using Linux for 8 years. Using Windows only for games and certain Windows only applications. I've even linked to the bug report just to stop this crap that only Windows has problems.
I agree with you. This fanboyism gets us no where, and only turns would-be Linux users off, much like Mac fanboys do. Showing the fallacies of an OS via pictures is one thing, but to randomly hate on it for no other reason than to vocalize something is stupid. The M$, Winbloze, etc crap serves nothing other than making the person look like a fool.

Vince4Amy
March 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM
@Marco - The point is Ubuntu has it's fair share of problems to I just thought I'd point that out as most threads in the community cafe seem to be either is Company the Microsoft of Subject or Microsoft bashing.

@Kidux - Exactly.

marco123
March 7th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Windows made lots of our lives hell until we learned about good alternatives like Arch, Ubuntu, Slackware, (or whatever distro you like to run). It's good that we can just laugh about the problems we don't have to deal with anymore like spyware, fragmentation and the god forsaken registry. Kind of like therapy.:)

But equally, just because I've never had problems with Ubuntu or Linux in general and regularly hit 2-3 months uptime before kernel updates are released, there will be people that don't have compatible hardware et cetera and that have bad experiences with Linux and better experiences with Windows.

BTW I've been playing with Windows 7 in a VM for a few days and it's quite good and quite intuitive. I wouldn't pay for it, but if I bought a new PC with it on I might let it keep a little bit of the drive so I could mess around with it now and again as a bit of a hobby.

Again, chill. I don't have any nefarious intentions. It was just a very funny scene with all the Linux netbooks working fine and that solitary Windows one in the middle of them all with that error on it.

Cheers, Marco.

Vince4Amy
March 7th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Windows made lots of our lives hell until we learned about good alternatives like Arch, Ubuntu, Slackware, (or whatever distro you like to run). It's good that we can just laugh about the problems we don't have to deal with anymore like spyware, fragmentation and the god forsaken registry. Kind of like therapy

Wow Really that's bad I wouldn't use a computer if an OS made my life hell. I never had to deal with Spyware, Viruses or anything with Windows, it's all the users deal to have good security practise.

kidux
March 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Wow Really that's bad I wouldn't use a computer if an OS made my life hell. I never had to deal with Spyware, Viruses or anything with Windows, it's all the users deal to have good security practise.
Exactly, only time I ever had a virus was when I was using Limewire. Other than that, don't go to questionable websites and don't open anything from people you don't trust (or computer illiterate people you do trust, lol) and you shouldn't have a problem. Windows is fine for it's niche, which IMO is games, if for no other reason than developers make them mainly for it. I did have issues with Hardy acting funky sometimes too, so no OS is immune and no amount of fanboyism is going to make it perfect.

marco123
March 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM

My wife bought a computer with Windows ME on it back in early 2001. I didn't know much about computers back then (it was our first) and I used that thing for almost a year until a friend installed Windows 2000Pro on it.

That's what I mean by hell.:lolflag:

Cheers, Marco.

kidux
March 7th, 2009, 01:15 AM
My wife bought a computer with Windows ME on it back in early 2001. I didn't know much about computers back then (it was our first) and I used that thing for almost a year until a friend installed Windows 2000Pro on it.

That's what I mean by hell.:lolflag:

Cheers, Marco.
My wife using Windows ME was what got us into using Linux in the first place. She couldn't handle how badly that version was written, and to this day hates having to work in Windows for any reason. She especially hates Dr. Watson, :lol:

marco123
March 7th, 2009, 01:19 AM
My wife using Windows ME was what got us into using Linux in the first place. She couldn't handle how badly that version was written, and to this day hates having to work in Windows for any reason. She especially hates Dr. Watson, :lol:

Aaarrgggghhh. I think I just had chest pains after you reminded me about Dr Watson.

zmjjmz
March 7th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Generally, hal.dll does not randomly disappear on Windows systems :neutral:

gnomeuser
March 7th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Generally, hal.dll does not randomly disappear on Windows systems :neutral:

I suspect it went to give Dave an important message