PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to connect directly to modem after removing router/switch?

Tuvok41
March 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hi, ive been using Ubuntu since October, I luv it, but my router is blocking too much ICMP coming from me, and I am sure the router is the problem, when i go to browse webpages it is taking for ever to show up and some times it cant resolve at all.
So I want to switch from using router to direct connection to the modem, but my problem is everytime I try to connect without the router it doesnt work I tried with network manager changed the dns host, but it still didnt configure the connection automatically and Im wondering if there is something else I should do? I have all info about default gateway and subnet mask, multicast and mac address of the NIC. What should I do to get it to work?
All help is much appreciated and if there is a how to please link me to it, I have looked and search and everything I found is about wireless or router connection, didnt see nothing about switching back from computer/router/modem to computer/modem.
Thx in advance for all your help.

Iowan
March 7th, 2009, 02:04 AM
IPv6 could cause similar symptoms. The "Remove IPv6" link in my sig is a little dated. As far as bypssing the router... If the modem is capable of being a DHCP server, you could enable that. Second, the modem may have "locked onto" the router's MAC address. Cycling power to the modem (turning it off, waiting a minute, then turning it back on) may let it acquire the MAC of your computer instead of the router.

Tuvok41
March 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the reply IOWAN, indeed I never powered it off, why didnt I think of that lol. I will check back in if it does resolve my problems.