PDA

View Full Version : Cooliris(formerly Piclens) For Linux is here!!!

Ms_Angel_D
March 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
A While ago I wrote Cooliris (piclens) asking them about a linux version, at the time they didn't have one. Well this morning I opened my email and they have sent out emails to inform people of a Linux beta version.

Check it out here http://www.cooliris.com/beta/?s=linux

Angel

billgoldberg
March 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up, trying it now.

billgoldberg
March 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM
It seems to work OK untill I tried to invoke a compiz fusion effect (scale).

Then the whole things froze and I had to alt+f4 it.

It's already reported to the guys over at cooliris, but I can't really see how they missed that.

Ms_Angel_D
March 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I don't really use compiz, but I'm sure they will be glad you reported it. they seem pretty good about working with people over there, when I've written them in the past they we're always quick to respond.

binbash
March 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
This is good news, i did not test it yet but if this does not work with compiz, it is useless.

Ms_Angel_D
March 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM
well it is in beta, so if it is having problems with compiz, I'm sure if persons let them know they will be working to fix it.

xpod
March 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I`ve always liked this plugin myself.
Glad i can finally use it on my own PC.
No problems with scale here btw.
Now...can i access local pics....??

EDIT...doh...of course

cptrohn
March 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Thats awesome!

That was one of my favorites when I was a Windows user, I was really kind of disapointed when I saw it wasn't Linux supported..

Is it available at FF yet?

Dragonbite
March 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Never heard of it before, but it looks pretty cool.

Abras
March 6th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Thats awesome!

That was one of my favorites when I was a Windows user, I was really kind of disapointed when I saw it wasn't Linux supported..

Is it available at FF yet?
I'm with ya there. I had all but forgotten it, though, but it's still nice to (finally) see a Linux version.

5BallJuggler
March 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
the thought behind it is great, but it doesn't like compiz, and by the look of the way it's behaving it doesn't agree with conky either.

lets hope it's fixed when the proper release is available.

xpod
March 6th, 2009, 08:51 PM
the thought behind it is great, but it doesn't like compiz, and by the look of the way it's behaving it doesn't agree with conky either.

lets hope it's fixed when the proper release is available.

I have Compiz and Conky/Conky forecast running at the same time as Cooliris and i`ve not noticed any problems with either...yet.

MickS
March 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I have just tried it and it froze my system with or without compiz running, maybe it doesn't like KDE4.2. I shall disable it for the time being. Shame 'cos it looks cool.

Mick

xpod
March 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I shall disable it for the time being. Shame 'cos it looks cool.

What...KDE4.2 or Cooliris.....;)
Just joking.
The only problem i seem to have is i cant set a background image,file or url,in the Cooliris preferences.

Bölvağur
March 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I sent Piclens an email a year ago querying them for info about linux version, they were very polite... overly polite.. kind of scripted :D
But man now I finally get to try out this and it is amazing, very high bling factor :KS

I have tried scaling and other sort of compiz trickery and it works fairly good. Perhaps a little lag→warp when the scaling is initialized but after that it only sometimes warps when scaling is initialized.

pt123
March 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM
wow that is really nice of them to provide a Linux version

xpod
March 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
In hindsight this is bad......none of us are getting any peace when we`re at our computers.Oh well,looks like our 3 Yr old needs her own machine now too.

Eritrean
March 8th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Just got an email from them today -- and yes they are polite overthere. They went out of their way to help me when I had issues with the new update in my Windows XP 3 months ago.
Inquired them as to way there is no Cooliris for Linux and they promised that they 'are working on it and will have one ready very soon.'

xpod
March 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Just got an email from them today -- and yes they are polite overthere. They went out of their way to help me when I had issues with the new update in my Windows XP 3 months ago.
Inquired them as to way there is no Cooliris for Linux and they promised that they 'are working on it and will have one ready very soon.'

:confused:
Am i missing something here?
I suppose with local file access being via "My Computer" mistakes are easily made;)

Ms_Angel_D
March 12th, 2009, 10:18 AM
:confused:
Am i missing something here?
I suppose with local file access being via "My Computer" mistakes are easily made;)

You should contact them and let them know ;)

xpod
March 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM
You should contact them and let them know

What....again:D

epidemiks
March 12th, 2009, 12:14 PM
this is sooo great! haven't used it in xp for months & forgot how great a tool it is.
no issues with compiz for me as as yet with 64bit version

Jinx-Wolf
March 30th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Yay! I've been waiting for this to come to Linux for so long. I randomly decided to search google and found this thread.

I have no problems with compiz on my 64-bit at all. It seems to lag a bit, but other than that it's working great. Also the devs are really nice, I asked them a while back if they were making a Linux version, and didn't bite of my head.

:biggrin:

Twitch6000
March 30th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Here is one of those stupid questions,but what does cooliris do lol?

I ask because I have never heard of it,but from the looks of the website and the name of the program it seems neat.

Nevon
March 30th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Here is one of those stupid questions,but what does cooliris do lol?.

I've actually installed it, and I'm still asking that very same question. One obvious answer would be: "It flickers alot and creates some interesting visual artefacts", but somehow I doubt that's its main purpose.

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Search in Google images for "stained glass", then Cooliris it.

merkourio
May 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Cool...

MickS
May 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Just tried it again and it still just seizes up my machine, I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Mick

Hells_Dark
May 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Works perfectly here (with compiz & co).

I didn't know it but it's impressive :o