PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 'now playing' text on desktop

ambidextrousone
March 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM
hey, this is probably easy, but ive struggled to find any guides/programs capable of doing this, i leave the eyecandy of my desktop firmy in your hands :D

all im after is just text on my background, preferably something i can colour/resize to my needs, which will update with my music, its just what i like, minimalist :)

im using 8.10 ubuntu 64bit, so far ive tried screenlets and avant to no avail, i use songbird, but i am happy enough to look at alternative players to make this work

thanks in advance!

howefield
March 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I haven't used it in a while but Amarok has an OSD which you might be able to play around with ?

I'm on my windows box, so can't have a look. Do you want the text to stay on the screen all the time, or updating as the songs change and then fade away ?

ambidextrousone
March 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM
i would want it to stay on the desktop permanently - and change only when the music changes, i like the look of amorak, but i tend to shy away from KDE applications.

songbird already has a small notification that shows and then fades, but i want simple text on the desktop, that i can try and make look artsy fartsy, if you catch my drift ^^

howefield
March 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Have a look at Conky.

This can display a huge amount of information about what is running on your screen, including I'm sure the current music track and also the lyrics for it.

There is a huge thread in the forums about conky screenshots, search for it and have a look.