PDA

View Full Version : MySQL joins, to show / write scores table

null-cipher
March 6th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I need a bit of help designing my database for my website.
I am looking to create a system where a user can log into my website, and submit the scores from the latest LAN.

So in presentation, the table would look something like:

<table>
<tr>
<th colspan="3">NAME OF GAME</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
<td>Player 1</td>
<td>Player 2</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Frags:</td>
<td>1</td>
<td>3</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Deaths:</td>
<td>3</td>
<td>1</td>
</tr>
</table>

And for submission, I would have PHP output a form, where instead of values it would have input boxes (for the names of the players, their scores, and what type of score).

Does anybody have any idea for how I can pull this off? Because I am frankly at a loss!
Thanks in advance.

simeon87
March 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I'd say the following tables at minimum:

- players (each person involved)
- matches (contains all matches played, e.g. DeathMatch in UT at 11 pm, etc )
- matchstats (for each match, the statistics per player)

So the players table could contain the following columns:

- player_id
- name_of_player
- (other info per player)

Matches table:

- match_id
- name_of_game_played
- date
- (other info per match)

Match statistics table:
- match_id
- player_id
- frags
- deaths
- score
- (other stats per player per match)

The match statistics table would have foreign keys to the match_id in matches and player_id in players.

drubin
March 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM
That being said this *could* be done in a single table but this 3 tables represents a DB in the 3rd normal form. Also this way is the prefered way of doing it.

This might be worth reading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization) to explain why we would do this
and this http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/intro-to-normalization.html

null-cipher
March 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I would certainly agree with normalising, I have been using MySQL (and SQLite to a lesser extent) but my prowess with SQL is still fairly limited.

Thanks for the suggestions!

drubin
March 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I would certainly agree with normalising, I have been using MySQL (and SQLite to a lesser extent) but my prowess with SQL is still fairly limited.

Thanks for the suggestions!

once you get the hang of it, it is easy :)

Do your self a favor and read up on Indexing. It will help you with db design. Because you base your design on the data you need to pull out. ie the queries.. when you know the queries you work out how you can index those queries to make it super fast and good.

If they don't index well then your DB design is not the greatest. Don't base your queries on your design but your design on your queries..

null-cipher
March 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Sounds like solid advice to me! To be honest I'm only really starting out, and I do like learning these tips from people rather than books. :D

Also, could I trouble you to show me what a SELECT from the tables suggested above would look like? Still trying to wrap my head around it.

drubin
March 6th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Sounds like solid advice to me! To be honest I'm only really starting out, and I do like learning these tips from people rather than books. :D

Also, could I trouble you to show me what a SELECT from the tables suggested above would look like? Still trying to wrap my head around it.

1) Learning from people is good. but doing is always the best. :)))

players (each person involved)
- matches (contains all matches played, e.g. DeathMatch in UT at 11 pm, etc )
- matchstats (for each match, the statistics per player)

So the players table could contain the following columns:

- player_id
- name_of_player
- (other info per player)

Matches table:

- match_id
- name_of_game_played
- date
- (other info per match)

Match statistics table:
- match_id
- player_id
- frags
- deaths
- score
- (other stats per player per match)

SELECT p.name_player,m.frags FROM players AS p INNER JOIN matches AS M (m.player_id=p.player_id) WHERE p.player_id=1

That should give you each plays name and their frags. Take a look athte manual for mysql joins it should be rather helpful.

I haven't tested the above code in any way

null-cipher
March 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks a lot for your help! This is why I love open source, the community is just great.

I think I have SELECT-ing sorted now, but just to be more of a pain, do you have any pointers on getting my data into the "match statistics" table?

+-----------+---------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| match_id | int(11) | NO | PRI | NULL | |
| player_id | int(11) | NO | PRI | NULL | |
| frags | int(5) | YES | | NULL | |
| deaths | int(5) | YES | | NULL | |

That's a DESCRIBE of the table I'm using. The match_id and player_id columns refer to the appropriate keys in the other 2 tables.