PDA

View Full Version : Is It time for more RAM?

methodmarvel
March 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I run ubuntu 8.04 on a dell inspiron 9300 laptop

1.73ghz processor, 757mb RAM

I run a windows xp virtual machine once in a while for internet explorer (my university website requires it to display one of their pages and it's easier to run a VM rather than try and install IE under wine)

I'm running firefox, spotify (wine) and the virtual machine now and my RAM is 78% occupied, and my cpu fluxuates quite a lot between around 20% to 70%

There is an occasional general hang usually in firefox loading or in rendering of the maximizing VM

What I'm wondering is will the 25 ($35ish) for 2gb of RAM improve my performance?

I mean - is it my lack of RAM or is it my single core 1.73 processor that is limiting my system?

Will things be more snappy do you think? Please vote and comment why :D

I'm not interested in xfce/openbox/fluxbox etc - Maybe when the functionallity of xfce fully matches gnome click for click

As a side note - I love running songbird... which means I kind of have two firefoxes running... my poor system resources...

albandy
March 6th, 2009, 11:17 AM
both. You need more ram, this will increase the speed by reducing pagination between disk and ram, but you need more CPU power to run virtualized machines faster

Kevbert
March 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM
If you can max out your RAM this will help a lot. What's so special about the website. If you post a link we can try it in Firefox and work out what additional plug-ins are required.

konqueror7
March 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
i've got a 1.6 pentium m and 2gb of ram, and also running a virtual machine allocated ram as much as 1gb...been running visual studio and netbeans inside with 512mb ram allocated, and its quiet responsive...

methodmarvel
March 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM
If you can max out your RAM this will help a lot. What's so special about the website. If you post a link we can try it in Firefox and work out what additional plug-ins are required.

I've tried using "user agent switch" set to IE7 and there's no luck. It's like a quiz/question page.

I can't really post it as it needs a password to get to it.

K.Mandla
March 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Those 9300s are awesome machines. I had an XPS M170 a long time ago, in another life, but I was always just a teeny bit jealous of the 9300 users.

I don't usually answer yes to "more memory?" questions, but I think in your case it might help, particularly if you're running virtual machines. And the price is low for memory on a machine of that vintage. Go for it. You have my permission. :mrgreen:

mihai.ile
March 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
even if you don't really need more ram now, maybe it's a good time to buy it anyway since from now on the ram type you use will become old and prices will increase. Had some friends that thinked that way, they didn't needed 4gb of ram but buyed as it was cheap, now they use it and it's more expensive to buy it.

hellion0
March 6th, 2009, 12:07 PM
If it ain't going to bust your wallet to buy the new memory, then by all means, go for it. It certainly can't hurt things.

methodmarvel
March 6th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for everyones input - though we've got a couple of votes for no I've gone and spent the 25 +3 for quick shipping on the RAM

I think I'll be holding on to this laptop for a long time - I've looked at many other laptops and they just don't seem to justify their costs for the incremental increase in resources

The only thing I don't like about my laptop (which I can't change) is it's form factor - 17inch isn't really portable so I really just use it like a compact desktop

I've definitely got to clean it - it's gotten really dusty and there are crumbs all in the keyboard...

I'm sure I'll get a netbook 5 years from now when their processors surpass 2GHz and only cost 300

:D

jespdj
March 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
What I'm wondering is will the 25 ($35ish) for 2gb of RAM improve my performance?
I would immediately go and get it, it's so cheap that I wouldn't have to think very long about it.

HavocXphere
March 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Definitely. With current software & games, there is a big improvement up to 2gb. After that the benefit of extra ram has a diminishing returns issue. Nonetheless I'm eyeing a 2gb -> 4gb upgrade. Especially since the existing 2gb is ddr2-800 which is fairly cheap atm.:D

my RAM is 78% occupied,
Careful with the measurements that you don't count the disk caching too. e.g. Vista boxes will often show 99% usage....but if its needed by a program, Vista flushes out the 50% (or whatever) of that which was cache in the 99% and puts the program there.

Ubuntu does the same thing, but to a lesser extent.