PDA

View Full Version : Linux Obsession

dspari1
March 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
My problem is that I feel that my obsession with Linux is a bit unhealthy.

In the real world, I don't really think or talk about it, but whenever I log onto Linux, I think about the OS more than I think about the task at hand. A big part of my online activity involves me looking for Linux news and looking at Linux forums.

I want to be able to use Linux for the task at hand, and not think about the fact that I'm not using Windows most of the time.

Anyone else have the same problem?

(I can imagine that Mac people probably have this obsession on turbo since they get really annoying in public :P )

Vince4Amy
March 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I want to be able to use Linux for the task at hand, and not think about the fact that I'm not using Windows most of the time.

You'll get over that sooner or later :P. When I first got Slackware working 8 years ago I thought it was the best achievement ever and I continued to use it thinking great I don't have to use Windows like everyone else, XP was a mess in my opinion and I've never really used it for too long.

I purchased Vista 2 years ago and I actually really liked it so I went back to dual booting so I could take advantage of some newer games which WINE could not play yet. WINE has progressed really well recently and can play most of my games, but for GTA IV and some other games it simply isn't possible yet, But It will be in a while I'm sure:).

Anyway I use both Linux & Windows now on my main computer (Other machines are Linux only) and I like both OS's but I really like Vista. I've never had the problems that people keep describing about it, it's been nothing but smooth sailing for me using Vista (Home Premium x64) I think it's one of the best Microsoft OS's along with Windows 2000. The right tool for the right job.

MikeTheC
March 6th, 2009, 09:20 AM
My biggest focus on "Linux the Operating System" has more to do with the socio-political aspects of F/OSS than anything else.

I've been a Mac user since 1986, so for me it's not a "Gee, I'm not using Windows right now", since I've been "not using Windows" more-or-less from the beginning. (That's not literally the case, but in general it's close enough to the truth to pass muster.)

And, since you've observed that "we Mac users" are just so happy and thrilled about our computers that we like to share that with the world, well... millions of Mac owners can't all be wrong. ;)

dspari1
March 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
My biggest focus on "Linux the Operating System" has more to do with the socio-political aspects of F/OSS than anything else.

I've been a Mac user since 1986, so for me it's not a "Gee, I'm not using Windows right now", since I've been "not using Windows" more-or-less from the beginning. (That's not literally the case, but in general it's close enough to the truth to pass muster.)

And, since you've observed that "we Mac users" are just so happy and thrilled about our computers that we like to share that with the world, well... millions of Mac owners can't all be wrong. ;)

Don't tell me that my Mac comment hurt your feelings. (I was just poking fun) :P

I see what you're saying. It's probably a phase that will eventually go away with time.

FuturePilot
March 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I think you'll get over that. I used to be like that, but now when I need to do serious work, I just go about it normally and I end up totally forgetting the fact that I'm running Linux. Even when I'm not doing work sometimes I forget that I'm running Linux. I guess running Linux has kind of gotten to be just a normal thing for me.

Though I do still like to keep up with the latest developments and Linux related news and hang around here And I do still have a very large passion for Linux. :)

adamlau
March 6th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Obsession is the diff between an everlasting amateur and an expert in the making. Though I do not feel that I am yet an expert, I am certain that your obsession pales in comparison to mine :) .

MikeTheC
March 6th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Don't tell me that my Mac comment hurt your feelings. (I was just poking fun) :P

I see what you're saying. It's probably a phase that will eventually go away with time.

No, your little remark didn't hurt my feelings. Actually, I wasn't really addressing your comment by discussing my being a Mac user. My point is that I don't run Linux and think "Gee, I'm not using Windows." If anything, it's more like "Gee, I'm not using Mac OS X."

I gave up most of my obsession with computers (doesn't mean I've stopped being an enthusiast, mind!) back during the mid 1990s. It's amazing to me how I've become more and more pedestrian in my needs, wants and uses. But, such is life I guess.

k2t0f12d
March 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I don't understand the problem. I hold a grudge against proprietary software, specifically Microsoft, for not redistributing source and build tools when I was actively captivated with programming at age 13. I could have pursued that course from a relatively young age if, but I was too young to know what tools I need to have at that time and they certainly didn't come with MS-DOS. If only I had had GNU at that age, my life may have taken an entirely different course.

So I enjoy the thrill of a free software platform, using it, thinking about it, and using it to actualize the ideas I come up with now.

billgoldberg
March 6th, 2009, 11:02 AM

In the real world, I don't really think or talk about it, but whenever I log onto Linux, I think about the OS more than I think about the task at hand. A big part of my online activity involves me looking for Linux news and looking at Linux forums.

(I can imagine that Mac people probably have this obsession on turbo since they get really annoying in public :P )

I got over that pretty quickly.

Dragonbite
March 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Hi, I'm dragonbite and I'm a Linux Addict :)

to be honest, though, I have very similar problems and find it annoying at the same time.

I'd rather not use the Windows cure though....