PDA

View Full Version : Are you on Facebook?

Michael.Godawski
March 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Are you on facebook?

Just wanted to meet you there...;)

Would be nice to share some Ubuntu Resources related sites with you.

Michael Godawski | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ubuntu-Resources/54954791924?v=wall&viewas=1491171282#/profile.php?id=1491171282&ref=profile)

Ubuntu Resources | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ubuntu-Resources/54954791924?v=wall&viewas=1491171282#/pages/Ubuntu-Resources/54954791924?v=wall&viewas=1491171282&pub=2915120374)

Cheers.

ddrichardson
March 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I'm there for your dude, lol

pol666
March 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
unlucky... yes i'm :roll:

pol666
March 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm a Ubuntu Resource fan now ;)

spcwingo
March 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I am now an Ubuntu resources fan and I also made a friend request.

athaki
March 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I'm a fan now.

Dr Small
March 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Nope. I don't like Social Networking sites.

t0p
March 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I opened a Facebook account about a year ago, but I haven't used it for ages and I don't know where the login details are.

I'll have to search my email accounts for the details.

ice60
March 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
no i'm not on facebook. i'm far too cool to be social, i'm not on twitter either, or myspace, or friendfeed, digg etc.

people who need to pimp themselves and get as many friends as possible are morons.

i did make an exception once and accepted a friend request with a 9 year old lol. i helped him when he was being bullied on youtube.

billgoldberg
March 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
No, I don't do those social websites.

kevdog
March 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'm the founding, first, and only member of the anti-Facebook consortium. The whole concept is creepy to me anyway.

iponeverything
March 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I don't belong to any social networking sites, but I can see how in some cases they can be quite useful to maintain some level of regular contact with a larger group of friends and family than what might otherwise be possible with email or phone calls. (it at least takes less effort)

I think that in the vast majority of cases that is not how these sites are being utilized. It seems that perhaps if one is joining the din and chorus for no other reason than self validation, then, I imagine, that the inevitable realization that your "friends" are no more substantial than the characters on a sitcom - might come as a painful blow.

nothingspecial
March 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I can see it`s uses but still I think it is devils spawn. However I do have an account which I never visit. I use the facebook pidgin plugin to chat to people I know but I absolutely hate the website and all the stupid stuff on there.

I'm the founding, first, and only member of the anti-Facebook consortium. The whole concept is creepy to me anyway.

Maybe you would be interested in my up and coming anti-social networking site. I`ll keep you posted.

Dr Small
March 7th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Here, here! I will join the anti-Facebook consortium!

TBOL3
March 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I'll join to, to make three. Three more and we can start our own religion.

rabid9797
March 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I didn't realize how anti-social so people here were...You are all making it sound like it's the bane of your existence. I for one find it incredibly useful in keeping up with my friends, and it's alot easier than email or texting. It's one of the easiest ways I know to stay connected with my group of friends.
Now, obviously there are other websites that are horrible at this(myspace), but facebook is built on an actual platform rather than scripted html themes(*ahem* myspace), and is much cleaner than other social networking sites. Also, the whole idea and craziness of applications, etc. is all optional, no one forces you to use them.

TL;DR You guys need to give it a chance before you smite it to the bottom of hell.

wolfen69
March 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
people who need to pimp themselves and get as many friends as possible are morons.

i agree.

alot of teens (and adults) with self-esteem problems use crap like social bullshitting sites. people need to get out and get real lives.

wolfen69
March 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I for one find it incredibly useful in keeping up with my friends

ever hear of a good old fashioned phone call once in a while?

and no, i'm not anti-social, i just think those sites are ridiculous.

K7522
March 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I have a facebook I keep in contact with all my old HS and college friends. I don't really care about anyone/anything else on that site.

I get enough work-related email I have to deal with on a day to day basis, I don't want to write even more emails for old friends too.

Dr Small
March 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM

You wouldn't want to do that... The feds wouldn't be as able to spy on you then. https://ssd.eff.org/wire/govt/wiretapping-protections

K7522
March 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM
You wouldn't want to do that... The feds wouldn't be as able to spy on you then. https://ssd.eff.org/wire/govt/wiretapping-protections

Because you know, the feds can't look at any servers hosted in the US...

/sarcasm off

amitabhishek
March 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
no i'm not on facebook. I'm far too cool to be social, i'm not on twitter either, or myspace, or friendfeed, digg etc.

People who need to pimp themselves and get as many friends as possible are morons.

+1

PurposeOfReason
March 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM

and no, i'm not anti-social, i just think those sites are ridiculous.
It's not always the easiest thing. Time zone differences when all your friends get scattered across the country for college makes getting in a call at the right time (TZ difference, class schedule, their own lives) harder than leaving a message.

That said, I prune my facebook friends to make sure no random people are on it, don't use the applications, just messages, chat, and sharing pictures.

gjoellee
March 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I DO NOT AGREE with Facebook's terms of use!

Artificial Intelligence
March 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Are you on Facebook?

Not in a million years. But it's an execellent spy tool, hats off.

ddrichardson
March 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Is it lonely on your soapbox? Not everyone is concerned with numbers.

Social networking sites are also extremely popular with people who are in the services for example because being posted all over the place - they are a fantastic way of staying in touch with people you don't see every day anymore but still care about a great deal.

The rule I follow is that if I wouldn't drink with them then they aren't on my friends list.

will1911a1
March 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I don't do the facebook thing, sorry.

swoll1980
March 7th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'll join to, to make three. Three more and we can start our own religion.

Three more, and you guys can make your own website, where people that don't like social network sites can make profiles, share pictures, and exchange ideas. Hmmm... something seems strange about that whole idea.

meho_r
March 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I was using it and find it really stupid and in some cases even sick. Apart from the fact that's so "kiddish". Turned my account off (Oh if only I hadn't created it at first place. I would love if I can delete it at least, you know, completely, shred, overwrite couple of millions times etc.:) But no, Facebook keeps all you said or posted forever. You CANNOT delete account. What about that?

I don't think people using it are morons or stupid though. If you like it, you use it, your choice.

pol666
March 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Who would want spy me?

meho_r
March 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Who would want spy me?

They :twisted:

Dr Small
March 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
And that's exactly what my sister uses it for :)

YoungQuiz
March 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
imma fan now

ice60
March 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Is it lonely on your soapbox? Not everyone is concerned with numbers.

Social networking sites are also extremely popular with people who are in the services for example because being posted all over the place - they are a fantastic way of staying in touch with people you don't see every day anymore but still care about a great deal.

The rule I follow is that if I wouldn't drink with them then they aren't on my friends list.
i don't have a soapbox so i've no idea what you're talking about. i hate any kind of self promotion, that's just how i am, i couldn't bring myself to write my name or post a picture of myself on the internet. plus, or maybe because of that, i care about privacy too, i don't use mobile phones, credit cards.

i know i'm a strange secretive person and i love it, i can laugh at people like this and wonder what the hell is wrong with him lol -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJD3nGpjzF8

xpod
March 8th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I am a member of Facebook but only because i have children who use it and like anything else i`m a member of online it`s all done with sudonyms(i know)....:D

I`ve had to have a chat with my lad in the past about what he posts online,in his own name,and how it can come back to haunt him in the future.I`ve discussed it with all my children of course but they`ll all have to learn for themselves at some point...the lads 16 now so if he still wants to post how bored he is whilst in class(job in future?) then he`ll eventually learn by other means i`m sure.

Some handy tips...other than not using the place that is.:D
http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/

Anyway,aint twitter the next big thing in Social Networking:-\"

loell
March 8th, 2009, 12:50 AM
they are a fantastic way of staying in touch with people you don't see every day anymore but still care about a great deal.

I so agree with that. though I haven't joined facebook.. yet.. maybe never will, I see my classmates and schoolmates way back, who joined facebook to get in touch with each other. and yeah its a great tool to spy on them. you'll see who married whom, who gained weight.. oh the list of information is endless. :mrgreen:

ddrichardson
March 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM
i don't have a soapbox so i've no idea what you're talking about. i hate any kind of self promotion, that's just how i am, i couldn't bring myself to write my name or post a picture of myself on the internet. plus, or maybe because of that, i care about privacy too, i don't use mobile phones, credit cards.
Thats cool, it works for you but it doesn't make people who use social networking all "self promoting" and neither does it make them "morons".

Dayylin
March 8th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I am there. Dayylin on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?id=500033176&ref=profile)

ice60
March 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Thats cool, it works for you but it doesn't make people who use social networking all "self promoting" and neither does it make them "morons".
i'm pretty sure i think they're self-promoting morons, so it does.

we're probably going to have to disagree lol.

Von-Dyke
March 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I use it, but then my family moved around heaps so its a tool to stay in contact with old friends and misplaced rel's.