PDA

View Full Version : Programming 'PHP'

old_dope
March 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I have always wanted to learn a programming language and being able to use HTML. XHTML and CSS for building my web page(s) and getting them validated i thought it time to move on and learn a programming language 'PHP'. So is there anyone out there who would be willing to help me get started? Getting and installing the PHP engine? Thanks

dzark
March 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM
sooooo much php resources on the web its not funny....

w3schools.com is very comprehensive. great to reference
try track down a copy of a php book at the local used book store
http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/627 101 lesson from the makes of php

to install just install the package
libapache2-mod-php5
(i find that one makes sure i get all dependencies with it)

old_dope
March 6th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Have been Googling for PHP and have just come across Xampp for Linux at:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html
What do you think?

By the way...thanks for the reply!

dzark
March 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM
i use portable xampp for windows on my usb stick, nice and easy to carry around, but i find it easier to have the ubuntu-package 'apache2' and all needed extras installed, updates automatically no hassles.. sooner or later you'll probably install a program that will need it anyway - phpMyAdmin or zoneminder or such..

old_dope
March 6th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks dzark

bapoumba
March 6th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Moved to PT.

jackmcslay
March 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM
this command should get you all you need to start developing on PHP

sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 php5-mysql php5-gd phpmyadmin mysql-server

old_dope
March 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the help and advice guys but i just want to learn PHP on my computer or in other words make my computer the server. I think that's right.

stevescripts
March 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the help and advice guys but i just want to learn PHP on my computer or in other words make my computer the server. I think that's right.

XAMPP should be just fine to start with then, and IMHO a bit easier to setup than Apache....

Steve

drubin
March 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM
XAMPP should be just fine to start with then, and IMHO a bit easier to setup than Apache....

Steve

Xampp is a great packaged version for windows. But absolutly shocking for linux since Ubuntu and most other *nix's have a package manager any way so they will handle the install dependances and every thing.

I would very highly suggest not using xampp on linux, but rather as a quick fix for is you have to use windows :)

stevescripts
March 6th, 2009, 10:07 PM
This made it really easy for me to get XAMPP going on Ubuntu:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=223410

Steve
(drubin - not nit-picking at you here, I have great respect for your contributions to this forum - this just happened to work great for me...)

drubin
March 6th, 2009, 10:13 PM
This made it really easy for me to get XAMPP going on Ubuntu:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=223410

Steve
(drubin - not nit-picking at you here, I have great respect for your contributions to this forum - this just happened to work great for me...)

@stevescripts Each to his own :) Thanks never knew people even knew who I was around here :)

But with out starting a whole long debate (I really don't think that is needed) but could you please from your point of view explain how that guide is easier then copy/pasting the 4/5 commands listed here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP) or was it just a case of I tried out xampp first and it work?

stevescripts
March 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM
drubin - hmm ... that link didnt work for me ...

FWIW, regarding XAMPP, it was more of a "I tried it out, and it worked for me" ;)

Over the years, I have configured Apache only a few times, and I always found it to be a PITA (for me...)
(especially on 'doze)

Steve

drubin
March 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Fixed the link. it was http://https:// that clearly not valid

Point taken. I am not going to carry on since it would just turn into a long debate that never ends. Thanks for your point of view.

CptPicard
March 6th, 2009, 11:08 PM
i thought it time to move on and learn a programming language 'PHP'.

Please don't.

PHP needs to die.

Please learn a real programming language (such as Python perhaps) and the associated MVC pattern. You will learn to program for real and in addition learn to do web apps properly.

Reiger
March 7th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Please don't.

PHP needs to die.

Please learn a real programming language (such as Python perhaps) and the associated MVC pattern. You will learn to program for real and in addition learn to do web apps properly.

Nah, PHP is a very useful language for what it does best: preprocessing/generating documents. You may consider it ugly, but it is far easier, cleaner, and I-would-say-better to code the glue that keeps your webpages together in PHP than it is in Python. Not in the least precisely because Python enforces a design pattern [here] (or rather the interface between Apache and Python interpreter does). The argument is comparable to why Java is a PITA to code small apps in: the design patterns enforced may be a good thing in 'big' apps, they only add dead weight in small scale applications.

hessiess
March 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM
PHP is good for smaller applications and persoonal websites, as a lot of the cheep hoasting avalable only supports PHP. Also I find Python hard to read, and a PITA to code in due to the lack of '{}' and becouse it is verry fussy about indenting.

stevescripts
March 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM
While I tend to (mostly) agree with Cpt Picard, it remains an (unfortunate) fact of life, that there are times and places where PHP is the only tool available. Such a situation a few years back lead me into my one and only foray into PHP. It's there, and it does work - but it is incumbent on the programmer to never, NEVER, overlook security issues. (Always important, but to me, it seems even more important when using PHP).

Just another $.02 from an old hacker ;)

Steve

drubin
March 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
While I tend to (mostly) agree with Cpt Picard, it remains an (unfortunate) fact of life, that there are times and places where PHP is the only tool available. Such a situation a few years back lead me into my one and only foray into PHP. It's there, and it does work - but it is incumbent on the programmer to never, NEVER, overlook security issues. (Always important, but to me, it seems even more important when using PHP).
+1

Programmers need to take every thing into account to decide the best tool for the job.

Things that should be included (In no particular order)
1) Tools that are avalible.
2) Programmers skill set
3) Time frame.
4) Environment

A good programmer works with what they have. If the constraints are that the costs need to be kept down finding hosting for Java/Python can be combersome.

While I agree there are tones and tones and tones of bad PHP programmers and programming in PHP does lead to bad code since it's in its design. Not all programmers write bad php code!!

Something to take note of as well. For small websites that aren't intended of running NASA php is very well suited because of it's native integration with web servers and back end DB.

All these points taken into account some times php is the best and only option.