PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Error on fresh Ubuntu install on iBook G4

Thorney
March 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I have been on gentoo for the last month or so but got a bit feed up with all the configuring so have decided to go to ubuntu.

After installing and logging in I am greeted by 9 pop up errors all similar to the following:

The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_NotificationAreaApplet".
Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?
[Don't Delete][Delete]

My searching found a bug (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuDateBug) involving the date being incorrect. It says to execute the following command:

date
When I execute this command the output is correct...

However after more grepping the internets it still seems like the most likely problem.

Turns out date has a counterpart - hwclock. Running

sudo hwclock --show
tells me its 1904!!!

So then ran:

sudo hwclock --localtime --systohc

Which seems to have set the hardware clock correctly. Will restart gdm and see what happens.

Thorney
March 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Well mixed results. The system just hung on a black screen after logging out. With a manual power down and restart I have no logged in with all the panel apps working (and no errors) The date was wrong immediately after logging in but is now correct.
Something is a bit funny because the log off button under System is gone...

brian@brian-laptop:~$ dmesg |grep err
[ 22.575540] pmac_zilog: 0.6 (Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>)

brian@brian-laptop:~$ date
Fri Mar 6 20:13:28 NZDT 2009
brian@brian-laptop:~$ sudo hwclock --show
Fri 06 Mar 2009 20:13:30 NZDT -0.546695 seconds

Any ideas of what could be wrong now - or where to look for clues?

mkvnmtr
March 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I have a G4 Ibook. The battery is dead. If I try to start it not connected to the internet I have the time and date problem in either Mac os or Ubuntu. Could this be your problem with the date?
As for your other problems I have not encountered them and have installed everything from 6.06 to 8.10.

lethrj
May 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I am having the same problem. Many Panel errors. They must not like the time.

$ sudo hwclock
Fri 01 Jan 1904 12:41:47 AM EST -0.077807 seconds
I'm on a PowerBook G4 with no battery. And I have some PMU issues. Log out/Log in fixes clock and errors.

stream303
May 15th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Be sure to tell us exactly which verson of Ubuntu you installed.

If it was Intrepid 8.10, I'd suggest falling back to Hardy, or skip immediately to Jaunty - Intrepid 8.10 had some major issues beyond the norm.

Thorney
May 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I have only had this come back up once or twice in the time since first installing ubuntu. It always happened after having a very low battery.

paulodelgado
September 22nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
Disregard this...

Thorney
November 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Same problem exists in Karmic - if I ever leave my laptop on till battery runs out it restarts with a million gdm errors.