PDA

View Full Version : Man attacked for being a Linux Advocate

Onoskelis
March 6th, 2009, 06:29 AM
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Man_Assaulted_For_Being_Linux_Advocate

Saw this on Digg, and I thought it was pretty interesting. Take it with a grain of salt though, since he posted it on his blog. Could have made it all up.

aysiu
March 6th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Take it with a grain of salt though, since he posted it on his blog. Could have made it all up. I wish more people had said that about the "Karen" middle school teacher incident. Unfortunately, a lot of people take the melodrama of Helios a little too seriously.

Eisenwinter
March 6th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Oh well. The attacker was pissed, but targeting this one innocent guy is stupid.

swoll1980
March 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
:roll: I was going to say I hope nobody believes this crap, but from the post before mine I can see at least one person already has. This response is even better "you think that's bad? i got shot five times for wearing an ubuntu t-shirt in to an apple store." That was one of the replies to that article, third one down.

linuxuser21
March 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Wow, I love how I have not heard any real reason why Windows is better than Linux. I guess this one in this article probably the best one I've heard so far. "It's costing us our jobs."

Giant Speck
March 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM
:roll: I was going to say I hope nobody believes this crap, but from the post before mine I can see at least one person already has. this response is even better "you think that's bad? i got shot five times for wearing an ubuntu t-shirt in to an apple store." That was one of the replies to that article, third one down.

Just watch. This thread will reach three or four pages, just long enough for people to not read any of these posts and we'll start seeing posts where people actually believe the article is true.

swoll1980
March 6th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Just watch. This thread will reach three or four pages, just long enough for people to not read any of these posts and we'll start seeing posts where people actually believe the article is true.

I just read some of this guys other stuff. This guy is a one man soap opera, either he leads some strange Forest Gump type life, or he's full of crap. I vote the later of the 2

shatteredmindofbob
March 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I'm gonna side with everyone calling B.S. on this. I was already weary of the teacher story but gave the dude the benefit of the doubt.

But two fantastic incidents occurring to one guy for being an open source advocate? Sorry, that's too much.

Never mind that the story barely makes sense. I mean, did the other guy in the truck just let his buddy commit assault and then calmly chat with the dude to explain the situation?

Nope, not buying it and I will definitely never click on a link to that blog again.

I feel bad for Geek Squad who are probably being inundated with calls and e-mails demanding the head of the fictional employee who beat up an innocent open source advocate.

Kinda like how every teacher in Texas named Karen got vicious harassed after the guy's last creative writing exercise.

chucky chuckaluck
March 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
pure fiction. the 'ponytail tour of the parking lot' line was pretty golden, though.

k2t0f12d
March 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I can't resist

http://hommz.com/images/PC_&_Mac_Vs_Linux.jpg

cb951303
March 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Is there a proof that "teacher karen" article is not true?

billgoldberg
March 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Is there proof that I'm not a hot Danish chick?

cb951303
March 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM

no, that's why I don't tell people not to believe that you're not a hot danish chick. You may aswell be one.

Perfect Storm
March 6th, 2009, 11:20 AM

If you was I would properly know you :popcorn:

K.Mandla
March 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM

For either assertion I have neither seen any proof, nor any disproof.

billgoldberg should have a blog where he's a hot Danish teacher named Karen who gets beat up for being a Linux advocate. Now that would raise some eyebrows.

Skripka
March 6th, 2009, 03:03 PM

I'd hit it.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Swagman
March 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Saw that quote on the linuxsux website t'other day. Don't know if it's the same (bullshyzer) incident though.

S0VERE1GN
March 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM
:roll: I was going to say I hope nobody believes this crap, but from the post before mine I can see at least one person already has. This response is even better "you think that's bad? i got shot five times for wearing an ubuntu t-shirt in to an apple store." That was one of the replies to that article, third one down.
The Fiddy Cent of Linux, thats fo rizzle.

TravisNewman
March 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
The burden of proof falls on the person making the claim. There's no proof that it's true, therefore no reason to believe it.

saulgoode
March 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
The burden of proof falls on the person making the claim. There's no proof that it's true, therefore no reason to believe it.
Thus if the claim being made is that something's not true and there's no proof supporting the claim, there is no reason to believe the claim.

koenn
March 6th, 2009, 04:53 PM
There are no hot Danish chicks in Brugge, Belgium.

aysiu
March 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
There doesn't need to be proof either way. This isn't a math theorem or a criminal trial.

This is just common sense and everyday life.

People go by good indicators, personal experience, and their gut reactions and decide what is probably true or probably untrue. I usually believe whatever blog posts I read unless I have reason to think the post is suspiciously fictional-sounding... and at that point I need third-party corroboration before I start presenting the post as true to other people (i.e., I won't link to it or Digg it).

At this point, Helios is on my I-don't-trust-it-until-a-third-party-corroborates list.

newbie2
March 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
At this point, Helios is on my I-don't-trust-it-until-a-third-party-corroborates list.
i trust him, so does several lxers who are better familiar with Helios(Ken) : http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/28626/
;)

Mr. Picklesworth
March 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Congratulations, we've reached page 3 and have succeeded at not discussing this as if it were real!

If he has one of those bald heads with a ponytail, though, I can certainly understand why somebody would be driven to assaulting him :P

MikeTheC
March 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Congratulations, we've reached page 3 and have succeeded at not discussing this as if it were real!

If he has one of those bald heads with a ponytail, though, I can certainly understand why somebody would be driven to assaulting him :P

He turned me into a newt!

MikeTheC
March 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM
There are no hot Danish chicks in Brugge, Belgium.

Whew! One fewer place I need to visit, then. Thank goodness for that.

Skripka
March 6th, 2009, 05:54 PM

You should change you user prefs to the max, I think 75 posts/page...it saves time that way ;)

Only n00bsuc3s try to read a thread 5 posts at a time.

wolfen69
March 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I guess this one in this article probably the best one I've heard so far. "It's costing us our jobs."

why don't they install and support linux then? i make money off of linux, why can't they?

lykwydchykyn
March 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM

2600+ posts to a linux forum?

Giant Speck
March 6th, 2009, 06:35 PM
i trust him, so does several lxers who are better familiar with Helios(Ken) : http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/28626/
;)

Oh, that's rich. Especially this line:

Good grief, don't any adults post on the Ubuntu forums?

swoll1980
March 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Oh, that's rich. Especially this line:

Or the answer "No...adults use Debian" That's funny :)

Depressed Man
March 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Wow, I love how I have not heard any real reason why Windows is better than Linux. I guess this one in this article probably the best one I've heard so far. "It's costing us our jobs."

True, but if that were a valid reason we would not be where we are today. Any innovation in technology will ruin jobs in the short term but create more in the long term. It's kinda odd considering how Obama's stimulus bill isn't meant for start ups. It's meant for big companies to help them keep employees. Since if the bill funded start ups it would mean more jobs loss as of now (even though more jobs would be created in the future).

*sigh* Short-sighted thinking is what got us into this mess to begin with. But honestly that is not an excuse, so what if Linux were to start cutting into Windows markets? Then you just retool yourself as a Linux techie as well and can do both Linux and Windows troubleshooting. Regular users will always be regular users no matter what OS they run.

Sunflower1970
March 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
That guy lives in the same city I do, and I've seen some pretty crazy things here. There might be parts of this that are true, but he might be blowing this out of proportion too (which is highly likely).

But, having said that, there is one computer store/rescue service owner in town I've talked to in the past over the phone (He called in needing help with our companys' website) and I can definitley see this guy blowing up and doing exactly what Ken said he did. In fact, he was the person I thought of right away as I was reading the blog. (The computer store/rescue service owner who I was trying to help was incensed he had to talk to a *gasp* woman. He berated me at every turn. Some of the other women here have received the same treatment from him. They just pass him off to any of the men in the department so they don't have to hear his comments.)

Naiki Muliaina
March 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Ive been reading this blog for a little while. This guy seems like a realy smart person with a lot to say. Some of his articles are fantastic!

But i swear reading some of his stuff he sounds like a soap opera sometimes. This article to me sounds like something you would see on some naff episode of Eastenders or Home and Away.

Hes a cool guy at times, but i dont believe his dramas.

bakedbeans4life
March 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I'm with most of the other people who have commented on this piece. But never underestimate the reaction Windows users have when you even mention the word "Linux". Although my experience has been via IRC and other online chat channels, I'm sure if they had met me in person they would do me an injury. I wasn't even advocating Linux, I just said I used it.

lukjad
March 6th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I wish more people had said that about the "Karen" middle school teacher incident. Unfortunately, a lot of people take the melodrama of Helios a little too seriously.
Great. Another unconfirmed Linux Hero Story. We all need another one of those!

swoll1980
March 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm with most of the other people who have commented on this piece. But never underestimate the reaction Windows users have when you even mention the word "Linux". Although my experience has been via IRC and other online chat channels, I'm sure if they had met me in person they would do me an injury. I wasn't even advocating Linux, I just said I used it.

This is retarded!(the situation, not your post) What are we going to start getting tats, wearing rags(bandanas with our colors on them), and bustin' caps in each other too?. I think people are taking this whole OS thing to seriously.

cmay
March 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
todays special offer:
special offer to all ubuntu forum members.
if your are and only if you are a hot Danish chick then you may pm me all you like :).

ps:
lousy joke i know , but someone had to do it.

lukjad
March 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Great. Another unconfirmed Linux Hero Story. We all need another one of those!
I read it as soon as I got home. :P

Puh-leeeze. I am sorry, but at the very least this is an exaggeration. This guy is passing himself off as a Linux lovin', karate knowin', charity givin', general all 'round good guy that just "happens" to get into these blog-worthy situations. He sounds like some kind of hero, kind, modest, faithful, knowledgeable, strong... except for the modest part.

Here's his name:

Captain Helios!

lukjad
March 6th, 2009, 10:55 PM
For either assertion I have neither seen any proof, nor any disproof.

billgoldberg should have a blog where he's a hot Danish teacher named Karen who gets beat up for being a Linux advocate. Now that would raise some eyebrows.

Heehee. That would be interesting.

Only n00bsuc3s try to read a thread 5 posts at a time.

Or people with low Internet speeds...

why don't they install and support linux then? i make money off of linux, why can't they?

Because they don't really exits? Or because they don't know how and don't want to learn?

2600+ posts to a linux forum?

Agreed. Women have shorter fingers and therefore have a slower typing speed. To manage to get that amount of posts in the time alloted it would take over 18h per day of nonstop posting. This is true because I say it is. It's in my blog. Digg it.

shatteredmindofbob
March 7th, 2009, 06:25 AM
;)

Ah, crap. We've given them yet another reason to act like victims...

Then again, I'd still prefer to call B.S. when it's warranted. But damn, these guys make FOSS supporters sound like Furries.

mkendall
March 7th, 2009, 11:14 AM
"It's costing us our jobs."

Feh. I fail to garner any sympathy for a Windows "tech" who has lost a job because of Linux. I'm still pissed about buggy whips.