PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Major GRUB bork, please help.

HazulCheet
March 6th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I used to be an ubuntu user until my laptop died. Since then I have been using my dad's and having to endure the abortion that is windows Vista. My dad outright banned me from installing ubuntu on his laptop cause he doesn't want any major changes to it.

Well today I decided to install Ubuntu on my external HDD, so I could use ubuntu without giving my dad reason to murder me.
All went well and it installed fine, and I got my tasty fix of Ubuntu and God saw that it was good.

Only after disconnecting the external HDD that had ubuntu on, did I realise the problem. I was expecting without the external HDD plugged in, the laptop would go straight into vista, as if I had done nothing at all, except this isn't the case.
It boots up GRUB and then I get an error 21.

It seems to me that it has placed GRUB on my local drive, rather than the external one.
So basically, I need help and need to get this fixed before my dad wakes up and wants to break the kneck of my guitar over my head.

Could anyone sugest a way of fixing this problem, or at least explain to me why the laptop is needed the external HDD with ubuntu on connected in order to boot into Windows Vista which is on the local drive.

Any help would be highly appreciated, because I value my life and don't really fancy dying....so young, especially at the hands of my father.

Peace out guys.

HazulCheet
March 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Anyone? Please?