PDA

View Full Version : Should I just reinstall Ubuntu? (Suggestions!)

kaldor
March 6th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Alright, my problem is with starting up. about 75% of the time I have to turn my laptop on and off to boot into Ubuntu due to a stupid error I made in the past. I accidentally went into recovery mode when I was scrolling down for a previous Linux kernel in the boot menu, and walked away for a minute. After seeing the command lines popping up, I instantly hit the power button. Ever since this, I keep getting errors booting up that I cannot bypass; I need to perform a manual FSCK.

Instead of going through a hassle which may not fix or even further damage my laptop, should I just reinstall Ubuntu? I am currently running on 8.04.2 and considering 8.10. Also, if I just wipe the hard drive clean and start new, will that get rid of the manual FSCK error automatically?

I use my laptop for the following:

School
Home use
Gaming
etc.

Is 8.10 a good choice over 8.04.2?

Edit: I forgot to add that the newest Linux kernel version is worthless on my laptop; it simply causes the laptop not to start up, so whenever I am doing updates I have to uncheck the latest kernel. Will Intrepid fix this as well?

phaed
March 6th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Perhaps this should be posted in "General Help" or "Installation and Upgrades" rather than Community Cafe?

kaldor
March 6th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Well, it is a discussion too I guess =Þ

RichardLinx
March 6th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I would just avoid the hassle and do a clean install.

kaldor
March 6th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I would just avoid the hassle and do a clean install.

Hardy or Intrepid? Which would be best right now?

bsharp
March 6th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Or you could, you know, do what the message is saying and do a manual fsck.

Boot up a livecd and run the fsck from there to be safe.

RichardLinx
March 6th, 2009, 03:00 AM
For the things you listed either one would do the job fine, out of personal preference I would go for Intrepid.

wolfen69
March 6th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hardy or Intrepid? Which would be best right now?

intrepid has been running flawlessly for me and a couple of customers of mine. just make sure to do all updates first before configuring anything.

gymophett
March 6th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I was getting that too once.
It's easy to fix, boot from LiveCD.
Then go to Gparted Partition editor, and check your drive! That's all :]

MasterNetra
March 6th, 2009, 05:26 AM
intrepid has been running flawlessly for me and a couple of customers of mine. just make sure to do all updates first before configuring anything.

+1

I too used to have issues with the Kernel Hardy uses. 8.10 though has been running flawlessly for me. Aside from some id-10t errors :p

Kareeser
March 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM
May as well upgrade. Then put /home on a second partition so you can reinstall easily :)